Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate
US$724
  • Bar/Lounge
Lion Sands(Skukuza)
US$2,166
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge(Kruger National Park)
US$2,101
  • Restaurant
Kruger Boutique Hotel(Marloth Park)
US$88
  • Breakfast included
La Kruger Lifestyle Lodge(Marloth Park)
US$127
Agoda.com
US$138
US$117
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsviewing decksabie riverbreakfast and dinnerbuffet stylereception areagame drivesopen airsouth africadining areagame reservestir fryself cateringrooms are largewonderful hoteltour groupnight safariglass of wine
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The hotel is located on kruger gate and beautifully designed rooms and surroundings. its a must stay experience of a life time, everything is so very perfect. Ambience, services overall atmosphere is great. ! we had a great stay there in Jan'14.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear GUEST

Thank you for your wonderful comments on Tripadvisor. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, is it a wonderful experience to feel so close to nature, we are so lucky to be so close to the Kruger National Park.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Nice rooms, great views. A wildebeast came to visit out my back picture window. Monkeys met us in the early a.m. on the way to breakfast. Cold water was always out in the lobby and the AC works great. Nice rooms. Excellent food.

Room Tip: Ask for one closer to the lobby as it can be a bit of a hike to the restaurant until you find the back paths.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is right at Kruger gate and the property overlooks Kruger Park. We saw elephants and other animals right from the bar and pool. The property itself really lacked customer service. Property looks good, rooms are fine. Good size but basic. But it is all about the park not your room. Tours leave all day from the property. They do have a safari desk but we found the man who worked it was less than helpful, He wasn't interested in helping and even straight out lied to avoid stepping away from his computer game. This could be a great property if it got a GM who took an active part in the running of it and everyone was held accountable for the customer experience not complaining about wasn't their job. Huge spiders everywhere, monkeys and baboons! Of course this is everywhere in Kruger. We even saw a brown cobra on property. Great wildlife but don't look expect service or good food.

Room Tip: There are a lot of bugs and spiders are absolutely everywhere. You may want a 2nd floor room. Book your safari drives and spa treatments ahead of time. The hotel offers an airport transfer but you have to ask for it. About $150US in each direction. I would not drive through Kruger on my own, you will miss so much as they all talk to each other and have radios. You should not have a problem seeing the big 5 if you take a guided drive. I suggest open air, not sure why someone would do an enclosed bus. The outdoor dinner area is nice but is only used if it doesn't rain at all that day. Several times they tried to sit us inside and I refused. There were plenty of open seats outside and each time they "found" one for me. Not sure why they were not letting people sit there but I didn't travel 10k miles to be told to sit inside. There was a small boy who was an employees child who was touching the tables and place settings along with climbing on the buffet area. He was only playing and not his fault his parent thought this was ok. I suggest cleaning your flatware before using. Pool was dirty but it did sit under trees. Pool area is nice to sit around. Drinks were good. Spa treatments were ok, not professional but fine for Kruger park. All and all, it was great for animal viewing.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear GUEST.
Thank you for your review and for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. We are privileged to be situated in such a beautiful setting which allows GUESTS to experience wildlife first-hand.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback regarding the safari desk by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and taken action to rectify the shortcomings.
Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Kruger Gate again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

It is conveniently situated outside the Paul Kruger Gate. The place was really clean and beautifully kept. The staff were so friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We found the bed to be one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in, nice spacious bedroom with walk in bathroom. My one criticism would be not enough hanging space for clothes, there is one small wardrobe. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Everden99
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear GUEST
Thank you for your positive comments on TripAdvisor. We rely on GUEST feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to improve wherever possible.
Your interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us, and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Kruger park lodge
I have been writing views of our recent travels through South Africa, and did not commence my travel advisories in chronological order.
This presents a problem as each place I stayed at , was nicer than the last,but not qualitative. Each one was amazing for the portion of the experience we were sharing, as it related to the surroundings we were in.
We had travelled 4-5 hours from Swaziland to get to Kruger national park reserve ,with the final 2 hours driving through the park. We had entered the park from the Melalane Gate at the south end,and drove through the reserve building our appetites for this point.
The grounds and layout of this property astounded us in that it was amazing that the developers had decided to create what they did within a 1/4 mile from the reserve, backed onto the river.
My impression was that I had travelled to a south sea island resort, not a game reserve.
The open feeling of the place, the walkways,pool area, raised lookout topped by the amazing outdoor dining barbecue buffet are just hard to beat.It was kind of a shame to go to see animals instead of spending the day just inside these lush surroundings. One can wake up in the AM to impalas waltzing around your rear door, or monkeys swinging by you at the pool.
There is a gym, but this is really just a nice little raised platform lookout room with a treadmill and an all in one machine that was not really worth playing with.
There is also a spa which offers massage and I heard reports that they were very good.
Breakfast buffet was also first class with a multitude of choice.
I would point out here that almost all the places offering the breakfast buffets were excellent, and the only negative is the slowdown when people want their own special omelet ,as everybody stands there holding their plates of food.
It seemed that all places we visited, not a single employee at the egg counter had the ability to prejudge the demand and commence a few at a time,eg regardless of how many people were standing in line in front of them with other food getting cold on their plate.
This is not a critique of Protea Kruger Gate, but a general comment across the board
Still , a top rated place

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elliott S

Dear GUEST

We are privileged to be situated in such a beautiful setting which allows GUESTS to experience wildlife first-hand. Coupled this with our comfortable newly refurbished rooms, boma dining and friendly service; one is sure to have a great stay

As far as the egg station goes, I will bring it to my TEAMS attention Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.