Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge(Kruger National Park)
US$2,058
  • Restaurant
La Kruger Lifestyle Lodge(Marloth Park)
US$125
US$85
  • Breakfast included
US$414
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsviewing decksabie riverbreakfast and dinnerbuffet stylereception areagame drivesopen airsouth africadining areagame reservestir fryself cateringrooms are largewonderful hoteltour groupnight safariglass of wine
Reviewed 1 July 2014

As Pros: The reception was planned to be pleasant to guests; the staff seemed friendly and kind to customers; the context of being near a natural reserve such as Kruger National Park.

As Cons: The room was roughly clean, I had to kill 5 or 6 cockroaches; the hotel had too much confusion on the restaurants and breakfast with a large group of people; had to wait for long time to have food on the buffet. The pool seemed not very clean.

Anyway the location is great for guaranteeing an early entrance in the KNP!

Room Tip: Ask not to stay close to restaurants, there might be a lot of confusion. The hotel is huge. Enjoy the bars and the pool, you might see some visitors (animals).
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ricardo M
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear GUEST.

Thank you for your review and for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. Our location is definitely a huge bonus when visiting the Kruger National Park.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced with the cockroaches and the service in the restaurant. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and taken action to rectify the shortcomings.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Kruger Gate again soon.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at one of the chalets of the hotel from 16-20 June 2014 and my observations are as follows:
* The chalets are neatly kept and clean - interestingly, they leave a note to ask the guest to spare water, if you need your towels changed, to leave them in the bath. We neatly hanged the towels out to dry daily and was surprised to find them changed every time (not that that is bad, it just conflicts your 'save' intentions ...)
* Staff at the main restaurant is very friendly and surprised me with a nice slice of cake on my birthday - true SA hospitality as they sang me a birthday song - I absolutely loved it!
* The spa treatments was very nice and professional - beautiful surroundings overlooking the bush
* On the Thursday morning we woke in total darkness. Had to go and ask reception how long they expect the power failure - no indication but assisted us to charge our phones while we wait. We wasted most of the day expecting the power to be restored. As the uncertainty just drained my energy I wanted to eat early and go pack our stuff - we were leaving the next morning ... we ordered a late lunch (at 16:00 - as the menu indicate you may order from this menu till 18:00). I had to assume that the power limited the response times as we had to wait while it started to go dark for our food till 17:15 (unacceptable). Even when the food came, I had to request them to provide us with some form of light so that we can see what we eat ... we finished our food before that request was honoured. Then, on our way back to the unit, I asked reception, and the lady could not respond on the possibility of the power to be restored - a by-stander responded that they expect it to be restored by 20:00. As it was not certain, I requested them some better form of light as the unit was only supplied with two 'tea-light' candles. The lady was very excited to offer me FIVE more! I could only smile and leave it at that ... we were leaving the next day, I was not really 100% sure how to pack our bags with a 'bright' tea-light ... On returning to the unit, we found a letter/note from the resort manager that was left by the cleaning lady - informing us that a SCHEDULED outage is expected between 06:00 and 20:00 for the very same day that was now almost over. I was really disappointed that this could not have been communicated a day prior to the incident as that would have affected our planning significantly - not waiting around at the reception, but rather driving through the park and charge the phone whilst driving ...
Overall, I think it is a beautiful resort, lovely food (especially if you can see what you eat), most of the staff very friendly and helpful, but the reception staff unfortunately disappointed the rest. I would have expected the 'face' of the resort to be informed at all times in order to assist guests any given moment. If outages is expected, inform guests prior to that. Then my stay would've been much nicer, but that left a bit of a bad taste ... sorry!

Room Tip: The chalets are a lovely option for families - not exactly the best choice if you want privacy as it is in a circle - looking out on the others.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear GUEST

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. We would, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor after your stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service levels and facilities.

The inconvenience which you experienced with the power cut is most definitely not the standard we strive to achieve. Please be assured that your comments have been addressed in detail with the relevant management and STAFF.

We hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our family recently went to the Protea Hotel Kruger gate for the week end.
We had a great time relaxing on the wonderful viewing deck that overlooks the Sabi River and The Kruger park.

The hotel has a perfect location and makes it very easy to do short trips 1-2 hours into the Kruger Park (we have a 4 year old so long trips get sticky).

There is also a number of activities that keep the little ones busy , tennis, putt putt children's play ground.

The staff were always friendly and helpful and the food was always good .
A high light was the dinner boma , open air restaurant .... what a special place .
It has a very unique african fell to it and the Zulu Dancers were quite a treat.
I really can recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hiltonkotze

Dear GUEST

Thank you for your wonderful comments on Tripadvisor. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Protea Hotel Kruger Gate, is it a wonderful experience to feel so close to nature, we are so lucky to be so close to the Kruger National Park.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Myself and my wife recently stayed here for a few days as part of a tour tied in with the Welsh Rugby versus south Africa. The Hotel was fabulous, and in beautiful surroundings.

I don't make a habit of complaining, but I would like to point out a few things that would help the Hotel to improve and therefore help the locals who are working there to prosper.

The reception staff were rude and unprofessional, passing comments amongst themselves about us thinking we could not hear.

Nearly all staff were very friendly but nearly all were clearly not trained in the service they were supposed to be providing, the restaurant waiting staff and some of the cooks being prime examples. Small things like having to chase them for a cup of coffee at breakfast and refill of the orange juice dispenser.

On the matter of security, on our first night there was a power cut due to a local strike. Myself and my wife were at the viewing platform watching the monkeys and animals passing as the sun was setting, it did get quite dark and we were the last to leave. As it was so dark my wife forgot her hoody/jacket, not being able to see it, this was a recent gift and was quite expensive. When she realised a bit later we both agreed as it was so dark to leave it till morning as nobody was likely to go there in the dark. First thing the next day I went down early before breakfast to find no sign of it, I located staff who worked in that area and asked if the clothing had been picked up, the chap stated that he had not seen any clothing but likely the cleaning lady had picked it up as she had already been to carry out her duties. I reported this to reception to cover all bases and they said they would make enquiries. When I visited the viewing area later the chap stated that the clothing had not turned up and the cleaner had gone for the day. I went back to reception to be told nothing had turned up but I got the impression that they had not pursued the matter so I asked to speak to the manager, the manager was not available but I spoke to a duty manager who said she would make enquiries and contact me. That evening I again enquired at the reception to be told nothing had turned up and I again had the impression that no enquiries had been made. No update from the duty manager! When I walked away the 2 girls at reception started to whispering amongst them selves but I could clearly hear them, and they were commenting on me and the big deal I was making about lost clothing. When I eventually caught up with the duty manager(a day and a half later), she said nothing had been handed in, but again gave me the impression that no enquiries had been made. I suggested that maybe a member of staff and kept the item for themselves, as the locals were quite hard up, but she suggested it was more likely that another guest had taken it! Bear in mind this is an up market Hotel. We were the last ones at the viewing area and the first ones there in the morning, apart from staff!!

I would suggest to anybody who is planning on staying to be careful with their belongings as it is obviously not safe to leave them laying about!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NigeandAng
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the TripAdvisor community after your recent stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback regarding the poor service and security by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is usually proud to offer.

Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotels again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We visited this hotel for breakfast while we were staying at nearby Skukuza Camp. It is one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen. From the road it is hard to see that there is actually a hotel here, it is so beautifully built into the Sabi River vegetation. Huge trees grow up through the wooden decking and we could hear hippo bellowing in the river. Apart from the amazing design, we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent and reasonably priced considering the upscale surroundings. We will definitely make plans to stay here when we return to South Africa again. This is a perfect place to begin a safari, either in the upscale local Game Lodges or in the Kruger Park Camps. New flights go directly into Skukuza Camp, just 30km away.

Room Tip: All rooms are nicely situated among the lush riverine vegetation.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

Our location is in the heart of the bushveld together with the majestic surroundings means that GUESTS can have an amazing experience. Your enjoyment of our hotel rings true to what the entire TEAM aim to deliver for every GUEST.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.