“The food is so yummy that I can't wait to return!”
Review of Seringa Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in White River
Seringa Lodge
Ranked #6 of 36 White River B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I'll start by explaining that I am not a guest-house person. I prefer self-catering accommodation or hotels. In order for a guest-house to impress me, it must really be special... no small feat considering that as a tourist guide I stay in some pretty snazzy hotels....

Seringa Lodge does all that, and more! I give credit to all the staff, but primarily to Roger and Cecilia the owners. I would go so far as to say that Cecilia is what makes Seringa Lodge so special.

Let's start with the basics:

Location - Seringa is located just outside of White River, a comfortable 4 hour drive from Johannesburg, making it a great overnight stop en route to or from the Kruger National Park. It is also very convenient for arrivals from Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (Nelspruit).

Parking - If you are driving your own car, there is no shortage of safe parking inside the grounds.

Rooms - The rooms come in a variety of sizes and styles. Some are in the main house, and others are in the beautiful garden. The rooms are immaculate and have good strong showers with reliable hot water. The beds are divine! You fall asleep immediately and wake up feeling refreshed.

Garden - The garden has a pool, large shade trees and is a great place to relax in.

Food - Now this is the strongest point for me... I love good food, and Cecilia knows how to make it. The dinners consist of three course offerings with a exquisitely prepared starter, a top restaurant quality main course and delicious deserts. All are prepared with fresh natural ingredients and are well worth eating! I also love eating large quantities of food. The portions at Seringa always leave me feeling slightly peckish, but when I think about it I realise it is because I am a glutton, and they are in fact more than adequate as I never wake up feeling hungry, nor do I go to bed feeling bloated.....

Drinks - The selection of wines and spirits is limited as can be expected at a small establishment, but the variety is adequate to cater for most guests. The honesty bar principle applies and you settle the bill on departure.

Roger is a very experienced guide and has his own safari company that can take guests into the Kruger National park for day visits, as well as on guided walking safaris.

I have been to Seringa several times and always look forward to returning.

Room Tip: All rooms are different, but all are good!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank TechnoWarrior

Reviewed 7 May 2011

Stayed on two (separate) nights. Comfortable accommodation one spacious double room, the other smaller but large enough.

Roger Briggs is an experienced tracker who takes safari's into the Kruger park in his own game viewing vehicle; he is also qualified to lead walking safaris. His wife, Cecilia, provides excellent 3 course dinners at a modest cost (ZAR 165 pp 2011). Both are charming hosts and take trouble to ensure their guests are happy. There is a large garden and pool overlooked by a covered terrace populated with comfortable chairs. Meals are served here in hot weather.

Highly recommended - quality accommodation and good value.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HansSachs43
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Stayed here in 2010 when doing a trip around the Kruger area - we had stayed in Hazyview before coming to Seringa Lodge and that is far better for trips and things to do in and around the Kruger, compared to White River. Seringa Lodge itself is wonderful however - and worth going simply for the food, and the grounds. We stayed about 4 nights - when we arrived the host showed us to our room which was pleasant and clean - leading onto the gardens and pool area, he did not really give us much guidance or offer to help with any questions etc, we were just kind of left there - however, that was not a real problem - when we did want to find out some details about the area over the next few days both hosts were very helpful - I would just expect a bit of a better "welcome". It is worth staying at Seringa simply for the food which was just wonderful - my only warning would be that on the occasions when the lodge was not full, then the hostess did not provide evening meals and we therefore had no choise but to drive out to the surrounding restaurants - and there are not a huge amount in the immediate area. Overall though, a wonderful place which I would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We were delighted we chose Seringa Lodge for our first night in South Africa, Cecilia and Roger are fantastic hosts. We had 2 nights here before our trip into Kruger, on our first night we had an evening meal cooked by Cecilia, which was as good as any top london restaurant would serve, and a great setting to enjoy it from. When we left for our trip, Roger gave some great advice on how to get the best of our 8 nights in the park, which turned out to be invaluable, as February isn't the easiest time for game viewing in Kruger. Seringa Lodge is everything you would want from the location, the rooms, the staff, and especially the hosts, highly recomended.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We have now stayed at Seringa about 8 times over the last years. The vibe, cleanliness of the rooms, food and roger and cecillia's enthousiasm are always fantastic. The lodge is about 15 min driving from the entrance gate of Kruger, so for safari's with Roger you can be there in no-time.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I just took a group of 10 clients to Seringa lodge and every one of them had the BEST reviews. Seringa is a beautiful property in a BEAUTIFUL location. The staff and owners were MORE then helpful. I would HIGHLY recommend this place for anyone traveling through the area. Its a perfect place to unwind and relax for a few days before heading to the next adventure.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2010

The lodge is well presented and the surrounding lawns and gardens are also kept in very good order. The owners, Roger and Cecila, are wonderful hosts. Breakfast is included in the rate and we took the option to also have dinner at the lodge. Every meal was a delight. Cecilia, a trained chef, does an amazing job in the kitchen. Dinner was a set menu of three courses. The menu was different every night of our four night stay and every course of every dinner was delicious!
Our twin share room was a good size and was clean and tidy. The bathroom was very large and the twin hand basins were a nice touch. We experienced a cold spell during our stay and we found the small heater in the room only succeeded in just keeping the chill off the room. It did not worry us but it could be a problem for guests who are accustomed to central heating.
The lodge provides free wi-fi but unfortunately it could only be accessed from a small area in the garden.
We highly recommend Seringa Lodge. The combination of pleasant surroundings, lovely hosts and gourmet meals is a winner.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends