“great place to stay and friendly staff”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Klerksdorp
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Klerksdorp
Reviewed 3 October 2013

the rooms are well maintained; the food is devine and the staff is accomodating; helpful and friendly. The stay was pleasant and i had a choise of either a shower or bath which i felt was thoughtful of the staff member to enquire. i love the bathrooms; they are modern and well equiped; the bedrooms are spacious. the check out was quick and efficient; the staff never forget your name

Room Tip: south side rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Attended a Conference at the Protea Hotel, Klerksdorp. The friendly service at the front desk, the facilities, lunch, everything just perfect.

The Manager is personally involved and around, treating everybody in such a manner that you feel that you are the most important person present!

The Protea Hotel's team can be commended for five star management and service.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Bertus, the general manager and his team must be commended for truly world class service. Attention to detail, courtesy and overall helpfulness are values they put into action. My special meal request (halaal) was handled superbly, with the staff going the extra mile - literally! after I changed my order. Hats off to the chef, Chane, and Lucky.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We were welcomed with a very friendly and efficient check inn - superb (check out too). Staff very helpful re assisting colleague that left his keys in room

On reaching the room I thought this may be a Protea hotel that I like at last. Very spacious, well appointed, decorated and comfortable too. Modern clean bathroom with good plumbing. Copious warm water in shower. Nice toiletries

But, the restaurant has been closed and the interim arrangement is reminiscent of a hostel dining room. Staff were friendly but unable to serve wine with dinner. Cutlery not particularly clean. Food was average at best. DIY coffee was delivered in the form of a cup of lukewarm water and a sachet of instant (same as available in room). Hardly 4 star!

Breakfast was the usual Protea low rent option at the usual above average price. Protea management would be well advised to benchmark breakfast against their local competition in SA.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room - separate from main hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank agewebb
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Based on the rate, one would expect new bathroom fittings, new linen and a much needed refreshed look and feel. The staff is reasonably friendly, but seemed more interested in their own discussions than their customers. On the night of the stay, we experienced a power failure. Although they do have a back-up generator, this did not function. To me, this illustrated the state of affairs at this establishment. There are many better alternatives in Klerksdorp, at better rates.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Chris T
Bertus_Kotzee, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Klerksdorp, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear Chris T

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your STAY at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp. We are certainly disappointed that your STAY was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and it’s TEAM for your STAY. Our standard procedure in this event would be to offer an upgraded room to you. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations. I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire TEAM as a training exercise.

We do apologies for the backup generators unforeseen mechanical difficulties. The generator had been serviced 2 weeks prior to the power failure. Please give us a second opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. I will personally see to it that you are given overwhelmingly good service.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Klerksdorp again soon.

Yours sincerely

Chané Koen
GUEST Relations Manager

Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

Staff were welcoming and especially marketing manager emran who was very helpful, upon arrival my room was up to good standared.will definitely be visiting again.

Restuarant were efficint with room service . I enjoyed my meals. Thank you to the klerksdorp team,i enjoy my stay with klerksdorp protea hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Sebastian

Thank you for your complements on the impressive GUEST service you received during your STAY at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp. We are delighted to know that we exceeded your expectations and we will certainly congratulate the TEAM members you commended for their exemplary service!

It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are important to us.

We are looking forward to welcome you to Protea Hotel Klerksdorp again!

Yours sincerely

Chané Koen
GUEST Relations Manager

Reviewed 22 April 2013

My company agent booked me to stay here for the whole month from 02 April till 30 April 2013.

The reception staff , Marketing Manager and Potter gentlemen are very friendly and welcoming.

I ordered pasta from the restaurant it took about 1hour for me to get my pasta. I phone the restaurant to check how far are they with my order and the lady who answer my phone was so rude and she dropped my phone without telling me if i will get my meal .ir not. I then to walk to the restaurant to check what's going on and i was helped by a gentlemen who made sure that i got my meal in less than 5 minutes.

On my second week of my stay, it rained during the week and i was shock during that raining night to see my room flooding with water, the carpet in my room was so wet that i nearly thought I'm sleeping in a floodline area.At around 2h00am while still shocked a gentlemen from reception phone my room to check if my room is fine, i then told him that my room is flooding and the carpets are full of water, he then asked me to be moved to another area and i refused to be moved to another room as i was so tired and it was midnite .

Tomorrow morning i prepared myself to work ,leaving my bags and all other staff.The same gentlemen who came to check on me at nite, came to check on me and assure me that they will give me another room. In the afternoon when i return from work all my stuff was moved from another room and i was ok with that.

The hotel doesn't look like Protea hotels that i know, it's very bad except that the have good friendly staff but the hotel need serious upgrade from gardening landscaping till the room decoration especially the beds keyboards, chairs, side lights ( the current decor in the rooms looks like old cheap decoration) .

Upgrade your decoration and gardening otherwise this hotel will loose important customers like government and parastalas clients.

Room Tip: Bad decoration i have ever seen in hotel, "i don't think i will ever allow my company to bo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank gmakgeru
Bertus_Kotzee, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Klerksdorp, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Dear G.Makgeru

Thank you for taking the time to inform us regarding your STAY with us at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp.

We would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the disappointing service and problematic room you experienced during your stay at Protea Hotel Klerksdorp.

We appreciate you bringing the shortcomings and problems you experienced to our attention. We are delighted to inform you that we are currently in the planning phase of renovating the restaurant.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Klerksdorp in the near future.

Thanking you