“Gross Bathroom, Poor Management”

Peermont Walmont at Mmabatho Palms
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mafikeng
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Booked this hotel for a weekend respite. We arrived close to 2 hours before check-in time. We were traveling with a child so they were accommodating and got us a room. We were pleasantly surprised to find the room to be divided. There was a king bed then a privacy wall and two twin beds. This is perfect for families to have some privacy and to make sure the adults do not have to go to sleep when the kids do.

Unfortunately, this ended the positives of this stay. While the room was drab, it was at least clean. However, the bathroom was atrocious. The stopper was out of the sink, the toilet was corroded as was the shower. Worst of all, the shower mat was covered in mildew. It was quite disgusting. The shower had intermittent hot/cold water so you had to keep jumping back to not get burned/frozen. This made taking a shower very difficult. Finally, the shower was not sealed so we created a pond in the bathroom. When explaining this bathroom to a friend, he joked that it sounded like college. I had to laugh as I thought while taking a shower that the bathroom reminded me of my college dorm bathrooms. Very sad at supposedly a four star hotel.

The biggest problem for us occurred while trying to sleep. At 1:30 AM, the room next to us decided to have a party. It was very disturbing and was even disturbing our child. I found a hotel employee in the hall and she said she would notify the front desk. The noise only got louder. I then went to the front desk myself where I was told that security had asked them to be quiet. I asked them to fix the problem and went back to my room. After another 10-15 minutes, with the party still raging, I returned to the front desk. The lady told me she had called the party room and asked them to be quiet. She told me she tried to call me but I did not answer. Rather shocked, I informed her that, with a sleeping baby, we take the phone off the hook. I was astounded that a front desk would call the room of a guest complaining of noise at 2 AM in the morning. My second time at the desk, the manager had me watch as she called the noisy room then told me that was all she could do. Sadly, I had to remind her that it was the hotel’s responsibility to control inconsiderate and unruly guests to which she agreed. A little while later the party finally died down and we were able to get some sleep.

There were a few other issues along the way including the playground has an open pit that is a major hazard. However, the filthy bathroom and management’s incompetence in dealing with a loud party in the room next to us were the major problems. I stay in many hotels and am generally fairly forgiving. Based on previous Tripadvisor reviews and the fact that our room was only about R1000 with breakfast, I did not have the highest of expectations. Until the party and my shower the next morning, I intended on giving a three star rating. However, I had to ask myself if I would recommend this hotel to a friend and I clearly cannot thus the poor rating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DaveLD

Reviewed 2 June 2013

First of all i had to phone in 3 times to get hold of someone in reservations to even make a booking. They kept me on hold for 10 minutes a time. When we arrived the check in service was very quick and efficient. However on our second day we ordered room service at about 3 that afternoon, first of all we couldn't phone directly to room service, we had phone reception to put us through to room service. We ended up having to go to the restaurant manager twice to find out where our food was. We only got our food at about 6 that night (3 hours wait for 3 toasted sandwiches) ridiculous!!
The serving dishes for breakfast were empty. But when it was refilled the food was very good

Then at about 12 that evening they tried to check someone else into our room. We were double
booked.
On top of everything else the atms in the casino were out of service. We had to sign up to be a winner's circle member in order to receive cash. Have you ever heard of a casino with no available atms????
I also had to clean off dishes when i wanted to play at the black jack table. I waited 15 minutes for a drink as well.

I will most definitely not be returning.

On the plus side the place is beautiful, just a pity their service is terrible. This place has a lot of potential.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn O
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I slept at Mmabatho Palms on 23 may for business. Upon check in about 2 people who checked in before me returned to say the rooms they have been allocated already have people in them. Was a bit concerned on how they got that wrong luckily my room had no one in it. My room was okay but couldn't help noticing that the carpet was not that clean. For dinner, I was disappointed to see that the buffet was exactly the same as what we ate for lunch earlier on. After dishing up you have to wait for a while before a waiter comes to take the order for drinks and I got my drink after I finished my dinner, the same happened with my lunch. The breakfast was okay. For lunch the following day we had to wait in a long queue to dish up, I thought that was the least I expected from a 4 start hotel. Not all is bad, the staff is friendly and ready to assist.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kgothatso
Reviewed 17 April 2013

The hotel had a revamp as this is a major improvement from my previous stay. The dinner/breakfast, swimming pool and reception areas are fantastic. But the rooms are dated and the bathrooms have not been revamped at all. Electricity wires were open in my room - quite dangerous for children! Had a good comfortable sleep. Not really what you would expect from a four star hotel in South Africa.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelH007
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed for one ngiht as a getaway from Gaborone. The hotel looks like it has been recently modified with an attractive reception and dining room and refurbished bedrooms (although bathrooms remain dated with poor shower temperature control). The rooms have had a make over which has modernised them nicely although the layout of TV and desk is not ideal and they had very soft mattresses. The casino is small but has everything you would expect. Our GroupOn deal made it good value for Dinner, B&B and R100 in the casino all for R1100. Restaurant food was good and well presented and service was good. The buffet breakfast had a lot of options including fresh omlette and pancake stations. The Spa is only open Saturday morning and weekdays which was a shame. Sunday afternoon had live and DJ chill out music by the pool - very relaxing!

Room Tip: All rooms look out to the main pool and garden. Downstairs rooms open out with patio doors right on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank StanInLondon
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I needed room service,and they took 7 attempts and the phone was never answered.the same for the food and bev manager,he never answered his phone.later I needed some soap,and that was promised to me ,but it just never arrived.checking out was a big joke,it took 40 minutes,with only 3 other people waiting to be checked out.the buffet was horrible,with most of the serving dishes empty.the food was of a very low standard,although the staff at the buffet were friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool facing room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2012

It tooks me a few calls to eventually make my booking (between the hotel and the head office). When I arrived the check-in was quick but then I got to my room and there was no chair for the dressing table, no bottled water, no biscuits and no services brochure (in-room menu).
I stayed for three nights and each day there was something missing - like the bottled water or a teaspoon for coffee. There is no power point near the dressing table, unless you pull the table away from the wall, get on your hands and knees and replace the heater/aircon plug with your laptop plug. I phoned housekeeping and asked for an extension cord and was told they had none as they were all being used in the conference rooms.
There is a new chef but the food quality has gone down - I stayed at the hotel in 2010 and 2011 and the food was very good - it is now average. They cannot even get a hamburger right! The breakfast was good but there were no serviettes on half the tables. Next time I will be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you want an internet signal for your 3G then stay away from the ground floor rooms as there is no...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business