“Wonderful weekend”

and 1 more site!
Pilanesberg Private Lodge
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Have just completed a truly memorable weekend break at PPL. Booking was easy and well informed. The lodge decor encouraged a very relaxing time and the service was fantastic. Thanx to Jacome and the PPL team for a wonderful break.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Pilanesberg Private Lodge with friends from Dallas. I had highly recommended it as the ideal location to experience all that South African game lodges have to offer. Unlike many other places, this lodge has an intimate feel and guests are made to feel extremely welcome. All the staff are warm and friendly. The accommodation is exceptionally nice, well appointed with large comfortable beds, indoor and outdoor showers, a large bath. It is a fantastic venue to relax during the day and enjoy the game drives in the morning and evening. The rate included full board (excluding drinks) and there is plenty of good quality food and two game drives per day. For those wanting to stay in touch with the outside world there is wifi in the communal lounge area. We were fortunate enough to see the cats (Leopard and Lioness) along with an array of other reserve animals - giraffe, rhino, elephants, zebra, an array of birds and the scenery is beautiful. If you are considering where to stay, certainly within close proximity to Pretoria and Johannesburg, then this is the place to go. Finally, if you have older children and need to entertain them during the day, Sun City is only half an hour away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sweeney1964
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our family holiday at PPL was 3 days/2 nights. This place is what dreams are made of. Our 3 'kids' are 19, 17 and 14, but had a trip of a lifetime. Thanks PPL. From the location and views to the service and staff. Absolutley fantastic! Dion, Juandre, Jacome, Prudi & Daniel were the perfect hosts. They couldnt have done anything more to make us welcome and meet our every needs. All meals, the service and the lodges exceeded our wildest dreams. Thank you all. The views, awesome! I never got bored of the scenery. 2 to 3 drives a day and we saw almost everything. (Buffalo was the elusive one). But leopard, Rhino, Giraffe, Elephant, Baboons, Kudu, Mongoose, Wilderbeest, etc. We saw them all. Thank you PPL for making our 20th wedding anniversary, best mates 50th and annual family holiday something we will talk about for generations. We will be back! The Kelly Family

Room Tip: We had the lodge which slept 5 comfortably. 2 adults and 3 teenaagers (19,17,14)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue K
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I recently stayed at Pilanesberg Private Lodge again following a business trip, and loved it just as much as I did on the first occasion. I stayed for three nights and was sorry to leave after that. The staff are all so welcoming and friendly, it really does feel like being at home. My cheeks hurt from laughing with all the relaxed banter, but there was plenty of privacy and down time. I felt tranquil and recharged from the moment I arrived. On the game drives we saw plenty of rhino's, elephants, a hyena, warthogs and we stayed out late waiting for a leopard to return to its kill up a tree, which was quite thrilling – to name a few sightings.
On this stay, I finally fulfilled a dream of going on a safari walk, which I did with Nare Walking Safari’s. (You can arrange it at the lodge, the manager will sort everything out for you.) There is a small extra charge, but it is well worth it. The walk departs nice and early so you can watch the sun rise, and there is no feeling quite like the exhilaration and complete peace of walking at eye level with African nature, not knowing what is around the corner, over the hill or under a bush. We had the privilege of seeing a large family of Giraffe, including a two-week old. (So beautiful!), briefly glimpsed the very rare honey badger and saw 3 majestic bull elephants. I could have stayed out all day and this was truly a lifetime highlight, - I found it quite moving. Jeandre’s knowledge, experience and calm demeanour means you’re guaranteed to have an incredible experience. Do this and stay at this lodge – highly recommended, as always. The management and team really do care about the little that make a big difference.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tonikins81
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I spent a long weekend here as a side trip from a business trip to Joburg. It was my first game drive experience - it was awesome - saw 4 of the big 5 (the leopard was elusive). The food at the Lodge was amazing, the rooms are very comfortable - modern with all the amenities you could hope for. The service was warm, friendly and welcoming. All round it was a very enjoyable and relaxing time, great value for money and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank shelbysSydney
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I had the pleasure to spend two night at PPL and it was AWESOME! Warren was our guide and he was a wealth of knowledge about the animals. The lodge accommodations were very nice and peaceful. When it come to the food, it was just outstanding! There were other guests that were on repeat trips which also show how good it is. I highly recommend the PPL for anyone thinking about a safari

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Stbuford
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I visited Pilanesburg Private Lodge on 3 different occasions. Our first trip was just the two of us and then we returned two additional times with visiting family members. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the lodge itself and especially the staff. From the moment we pulled up at the lodge, we felt like old friends. The staff was very warm and welcoming and went out of their way to ensure that we had a wonderful stay. The chalets were beautifully appointed with comfortable furniture and we were quite pleased. The main lodge is comfortable with large sofas and easy chairs for reading or tv watching. We enjoyed the afternoons there while we read and watched the animals that wandered by just past the electric fence surrounding the property.

I have raved to everyone about the incredible game drives we experienced. Not even the torrential downpours we experienced one weekend deterred our fearless guide. His knowledge and enthusiasm made our game drives a fascinating learning experience. We experienced incredible sightings of all of the Big 5 over the course of our visits as well as numerous other species. A white rhino mom and calf passed just a few meters from our vehicle and this was just one of the many special game sighting we enjoyed. The watering hole that is adjacent to the lodge provided wonderful game viewing from the comfort of the deck or breakfast table.

I would also highly recommend the game walk. Although it is an extra fee, it was well worth it. The moderate level walk was fascinating and enjoyable. We learned so much and seeing the wilderness from a different perspective was excellent. The sightings we enjoyed were also breathtaking, from the lion and black rhino to the elephant and monkeys.

I absolutely cannot say enough about the food at Pilanesburg. We ate like kings! I would happily stay there just to eat Jacome's cooking. The English style breakfast was always delicious and served with delectable fresh fruit, cereal, and yogurt. Lunch was a lighter affair with options like toasted sandwiches or salads. Dinner was the star though, a heavenly 3 course meal of South African favorites. We savored dishes like grilled lamb chops, fillet with red wine sauce, lamb potjiekos, and pan fried kingklip. The meals were expertly prepared and always enjoyable. The only downside was sometimes we struggled to finish the generous portions that were served to us! The on site bar offered a nice selection of beer, wine and spirits as well as non alcoholic beverages to compliment our meals.

All in all, Pilanesburg private lodge provided an excellent experience in the bush for a very reasonable price. The staff's attention to detail and willingness to go above and beyond to make the expereience memorable was greatly appreciated and the excellent amenities, lodging and food rounded out a wonderful trip. I would highly recommend Pilanesburg Private Lodge to couples, families, individuals or any small group looking for a getaway. It's a 5 star bush experience for much less than a 5 star price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple