“Great introduction to South African safary”

Bakubung Bush Lodge
Perth, Australia
“Great introduction to South African safary”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Bakubung Bush Lodge is situated in Pilanesberg National Park, not far from Johannesburg. It’s surrounded by beautiful scenery and visited frequently by animals at the waterhole located within the lodge.

When we stayed at Bakubung Bush Lodge, it was our first safari in South Africa. We spent 5 nights here and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the hotel part of the lodge on a half board basis, and the package also included either a game drive or transfer to nearby Sun City each day. But you need to book the drives. There are two game drives each day, one can choose to go either in the morning or in the afternoon. Our driver is very knowledgeable about the different animals, birds, tracks and surroundings. We are very impressed with the respects shown to the animals and the strong sense of conservation by all the staff involved In the last two days we also did some self driving, we were lucky enough to have seen lions, rhinos, hippos, group of elephants old and young, giraffes, zebras, warthogs, wildebeests, impala, various birds and plenty more.
Our room was very comfortable with two double beds and couches, our windows and the balcony are facing the swimming pool. Bathroom is very clean with separate bath and shower.
The restaurant of the Bakubung Bush Lodge is a real winner. The terrace gives diners an uninterrupted view of the waterhole and the landscape scenery beyond. Just when you are amazed by the view while having your meals, you would also be pleasantly surprised by the company of some unusual friends, such as monkeys and different variety of beautiful birds.
The food at the lodge is great. On our checked in, to my surprise, we were told that our booking includes daily breakfast and dinner (it’s called half board, now I realise it’s normal in this part of the world). I thought that’s nice, but generally speaking I’m not fun of buffet, I thought it would be just touristy buffet dinner. How wrong I could be. The daily dinner was such a feast. The photo here couldn’t even show everything there. That roast lamb was the best meat I’ve tasted, it’s juicy, tasty and melting in my mouth. I even regretted having some salad before I tasted that meat.
Overall, it’s a wonderful experience, we would be happy to recommend Bakubung Bush Lodge to anyone.
Tips: make sure to close the door to balcony all the time to avoid unwanted intruders - monkeys

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Petitewave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata, India
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This is an amazingly well-maintained lodge. Truly first-class, it leaves no stone unturned to please its customers and leave a mark in our minds. Luxurious and elaborate, the rooms are quite huge. We were living in the rooms (and not in the cottages) and these rooms are adequately equipped with TVs and modern toilets. The balconies open to an open grass course and you can spend hours star-gazing.

One must mention the restaurant, which is a true star of the lot. Great breakfast spread and a similarly huge dinner spread. We also found a whole-lamb roast being done just outside the restaurant. The food was fantastic.

The safaris were nice, but here I found some other game reserves better. On our first day the ranger hardly explained the animals and to be frank, the folks in the jeep were sporting animals faster than this gentleman. Maybe he was absent-minded. The second day trip was much better. The ranger Jay was very explanative. He seemed to truly know his stuff. However in none of the 2 trips, were we fortunate to see any lions/cheetahs/leopards.

Overall, great experience. Would definitely recommend this place strongly.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sanjay_GT
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 June 2014

As part of a packaged tour( Dynasty Tours from Singapore), I was not expecting decent but not great hotels but for the entire tour we had great accommodations. Bakubung lodge in Pilansberg, though remotely situated, i was an amazing place to spend 2 night. We had breakfast and dinner in the lodge which were sumptious and varied and with beautiful views of an open bush with a water hole where warthogs, impalas and lots of birds were seen in the morning cool. The rooms were huge and very well equipped with separate shower and bath. I really like the carpet design in the room! Service was excellent and despite leaving a decent tip for the cleaners, they did not touch the money. Speaks well of the service culture. We had a long 3 to 4 hour game drive and saw lions, zebras, hippos, lots of impalas, kudus, gibbons and some lazy crocodiles and 2 white rhinos. Great time there. Wonderful weather in June - cool and dry.

Room Tip: I got a pool facing view, Those facing the open bush would have been better. Nonetheless, by the tie...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank E T L Y
Acworth
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Well worth it. Beautiful place, very clean, and the dinner and breakfast were first rate. The game drive was fun and the Pilanesberg mountains are beautiful. The only problem we had was that we found the turn-off to get there was a little hard to find and that the bathroom is somewhat integrated in the bedroom. With two teenage boys in the room, privacy was a bit of an issue.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cape Town
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Bakubung bush lodge was a perfect get away from the bustling city. Situated in the Pilansberg, not too far of a drive from Johannesurg takes you away into the wild, but with luxury. My first contact with the lodge was not too great as I struggled to get the information I required via e-mail and even when I phoned the lodge they never phoned back. Herman the front office manager called me to apologize and I appreciated the sincerity.After clearing this matter we were off to the lodge.

On our arrival, the staff was very friendly and almost made me forget about my initial disappointment. The room was not entirely ready when we checked-in so we went to enjoy a drink at the restaurant while we wait. The views were breathtaking. Within 15 minutes our room was ready and we proceeded to our little haven. The room was spacious and we absolutely loved the bathroom. As a good gesture they placed fruit in our room as an apology for the inconvenience caused during our communication via e-mail. (unfortunately we do not eat the fruit that was on the platter but we appreciated the gesture at least).

That evening we went to have dinner in the "bush". It was cozy with a bonfire and the food was very appetizing. A whole spread was given to us and the atmosphere was out of this world. The bush dinner was only a few minutes drive from the hotel and we were provided blankets on the vehicle as it was a bit chilly that evening. We returned back to the room after dinner were I encountered a problem with our room safe. A gentlemen came to assist me shortly after I informed the reception. The only thing that I was a bit dissapointed in is that I organised a romantic turn down for my Fiance for when we return from dinner which was never done.

The next morning we were up early (even though the wake-up call was given 10 minutes late) to have our delicious breakfast before we were off to our game drive. The breakfast buffet had a very big selection and unfortunately I was so full from the buffet dinner the night before that I could not try everything I wanted to, but believe me I shall return even if it is just for the breakfast.

After breakfast we went on a very exciting game drive. Our guide Lomarie was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions. Unfortunately the Lions and the Elephants did want to come and say hello to us that day however we saw various other animals that is part of the Big 5.

I found all the staff very friendly and accommodating especially the breakfast team. Overall we enjoyed our stay and will return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Melkbosstrand, South Africa
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed 4 days at this lodge. The room was overlooking the Pilansberg game reserve. The room was spacious, nice big queen size bed with white linen, with a bath, shower, TV and fridge as well as a coffee and tea station. We were booked on a full board, that included a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was of height standard and there was a big choice of food to choose from. We went on a morning game drive as well as an evening game drive that includes a boma bush braai. With the heavy rain they had the roads are very bad. Big rocks in the road, and some places there are huge holes in the road. They were busy fixing the road leading to the lodge while we were there. The evening game drive did not go so well. We got 2 flat tyres and we had to wait a long time for some help. When help arrived we all got on to the other game drive vehicle and went for our boma dinner. On our way there the same vehicle got another flat tyre. So 3 flat tyres in one game drive! It was late and cold, there was no blankets on the vehicle for us to use. The drive was a bit disappointing as we did not see much. The next day we went on the morning drive departing 08H00 from the lodge. It was much warmer and the sun was out so looking for animals were much better. We were lucky to see some lions in a distance as well as rhinos, elephants, buck, zebras and blouwildebees. We enjoyed our stay and can recommend Bakubang any time for a nice bush holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vorsters
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2014

While we were seconded to South Africa for a year we spent 3 long weekends in Bakabung bush lodge. We went alone and with two sets of visitors from the US. Pilsnesburg is about 2 hours from Johannesburg so is great if you are there on business and only have a couple of days to see some of the wildlife. The lodge is great and the food is good but make sure to sign up for all of the game drives you can. The Elephants and the birdlife were the main attraction for me but there is something for everyone here. The morning drives can be cool so wear layers that you can take off as the day warms up. A great place with lots for everyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
#5 of 6 in Sun City
Tshukudu Bush Lodge
Tshukudu Bush Lodge
#6 of 14 in Pilanesberg National Park

Been to Bakubung Bush Lodge? Share your experiences!