“Basic rooms at a mid-range price”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pilanesberg National Park
Golden Leopard Resort - Manyane
New Delhi, India
“Basic rooms at a mid-range price”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Manyane is well-located with basic, clean rooms. We stayed in a studio room which was very cold and quite poorly lit. The common areas are better - with a pool and a restaurant. The food was not great. The booking office for game drives was very efficient and fixed us up with two drives - evening and morning. We just stayed the one night and then headed back to Pretoria and the resort was more than adequate for this purpose.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Smallgoat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I was a bit nervous booking a safari tent - I haven't camped since a kid and don't remember loving it then, but I'm so glad I went ahead and did it. The MOSTLY GOOD: The tent is large, the beds are beds (not cots) and have comfortable matresses (the bedspreads are clean but a bit worn, and the beds are more narrow than a twin bed. I'm 5 ft 8 and was comfortable but tall or wide oppele might not be). The tent had a metal runner along the bottom, sealing bugs out. It had a fridge, a light (weak but great at night!), one 2 plug outlet, a fan, an electric tea kettle, a trunk/table and a bedside table. the floor was concrete and the tent had plenty of windows to zip up or down. they recently upgraded to wood doors that lock (old-fashioned heavy key, but loved that door lock). The tents are all under shade, and all facing nature rather than other campers. They also have a picnic table with chairs and a brazier. I thought this was great value! There's a small playground, nature paths, and a smal camp store (very handy!) Communal restrooms were close, clean and plentiful! The pool is tiny, more sutied to children (this is a great family place) but pretty and nice to look at over breakfast. By the way, don't both including the breakfast in your stay because it's the same price either way. The restaurant was good, the breakfast buffet had plenty of choices, even for a vegetarian like me! The staff are friendly but realize this is not a 5-star resort. THE BAD: When i checked in someone was complaining about their chalet not being clean from the last person and I had a bag of garbage that hadn't been taken out, but as soon as you let them know, they were happy to take care of the problem. Lightning had knocked the pay phone out and there's no public internet access. THE AMAZING: On the resort (more realistic to call it a campground) you will see plenty of wildlife without spending a dime extra. One morning I woke up at 5:30AM to snorting, I cracked open my tent door and 3 zebra were grazing less than 20 feet in front of me (I was in Tent 10 by the way). I almost tripped over a warthog, impala, monkeys and babboons were everywhere (although the babboons seemed to prefer the chalet side) and then there's the walking paths. They are about less than an hour long (round trip), uneven ground but clear and easy to follow, the dew will soak you in the morning and the best time to go is at first light 5:30-6am. The one behind the chalets is particluarly good. I saw griaffe (LOTS), zebra, warthog, birds, various deer species, a snake, butterflies and that about covers it (nothing aggressive is allowed on the grounds). Since Manyane (Man-Yon-EE) is right at the entrance to Pilanesberg you have onsite acess to the game drives. I went on 3, they were 300rand each and last about 2 hours. I saw the most on the 6pm drive but it's harder to take pictures (and it gets cold!), but I was fortunate enough to see something on each drive including lions, rhinoceros, elephants, hippo, wild dogs (extremely rare), wildebeest (very common), and an owl :)

Room Tip: Tent 10-right behind camp store
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank angelc74
new york
Reviewed 8 January 2011

After reading the reviews, I was nervous about what to expect at Manyane but I was pleasantly surprised. The resort is quite large with different accommodations ranging from nice 4 bedroom brick, thatch-roofed chalets (in which I stayed with my family) to safari tents with shared bathrooms. The decor was fine- it had the safari look. The kitchenette was great with new appliances and granite countertops. There was one spacious double room, two single beds in a loft, and a nice patio area with a braii.

The dinner and breakfast buffets were great, but the wait staff were awful. We didn't get the water or wine we ordered until we were done with both dinner and dessert! The waiter said he had to search for the wine we wanted (but the wine list wasn't *that* huge) but I guess it was ok because the wine, Robertsons, was excellent.

The two pools were small but clean, and at night hundreds of impala hang out there to stay safe from leopards. The safari, which the hotel organized, was incredible. We actually saw a lioness kill a baby zebra right in front of the vehicle! We also saw giraffes, zebras, wildebeests, impala, springbok, warthogs, elephants, hippos, and more. It was definitely much better than Kruger where you have to drive forever on paved roads throughout the park and don't see as many animals.

I would stay here again- it seems to be much less expensive than the other limited options. Don't get lost- toward the end of the journey it's hard to see the sign for Pilanesberg National Park and Manyanye after you take a left at the petrol station.

Nearby Sun City is not really worth the visit. It's a tacky casino and non-residents can't visit the Palace.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
sydney
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Accommodation very nice but perhaps a bit dated which didnt matter. Facilities great but we had a power blackout at 7pm, ojnly just got back to room after game-seeking. Power didnt come back (not property's fault) but, considering what we paid, we got nothing in terms of being able to cook our dinner, watch tv, read a book etc. Asked staff next day whether they were prepared to compensate us in any way. Extremely reluctant to do so, had to argue, got a free breakfast, woo hoo not. If I managed this property I would have reduced the accommodation tariff to ensure guests raved about how niice the place is, which I would have done if I felt they empathised at all (which they didnt). Stayed the next night in two tent type chalets. Much better night. Electricity was irrelevant, had a fire (braai) watched the stars and had a quiet little wine and the cost was so much more reasonable. next time (and there will be) I would stay in tent for a lot less and a better experience. I know (as I said) it wasnt their fault the power went off but basically, the power was off for the whole time we were in our room. Poor attitude from staff. Basically they stink!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Pretoria
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Hi all, just want to thank all the persons involved at Manyane for a great stay! The resort is well equiped and there is lots to do. The Impala, lots of birds as well as the 3 Giraffes close to our unit made for a great stay! We also saw, Rhino, Elephant, Lion and just missed a Leopard at the dam! The roads are also in a very good condition and travelling by car is no problem at all. At the one dam, Lions where busy eating on a dead Elephant as well, that was something you do not see every day!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Evertp
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2010

2 nights at Golden Leopard at new year, with 2 teenagers on their first trip to ZA. The resort is a bit tacky and tired, but I still toyed with a 4 rating because somehow I didn't MIND. Service was friendly, the breakfast and evening buffets (the latter not really my thing) were great and if I am rating this as a FAMILY resort (which is also not really my thing), it would get 4 stars. The thatched chalets are cute and well equipped but even though it wasn't particuarly hot outside, the children's sleeping area, on a mezzanine level in the roof was baking, so they hauled their mattresses downstairs and slept on the floor - not ideal (there is a/c in the main bedroom but not in the living room/children's area). We woke both mornings to find impala and zebra just outside our windows which thrilled the younger ones. This resort is right at the entrance to Pilanesberg N.P. and this was the BEST game viewing I have experienced in many visits to ZA. The children had wanted to take the commercial game drive, but keeping half an eye on costs and having some knowledge of what we were looking at, we just used our own car and had the most fantastic time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank FSHK
London
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Pilanesberg game reserve is excellent - a lot of game, non-malarial and easily accessible from Johannesburg. You don't need a 4X4 for access, but it helps to have a raised vehicle to aid visibility as the grass is high in places. The accomodation at Manyane is perfectly adequate, the chalets are well equipped if you are self-catering - however we had booked bed, dinner and breakfast and we found the buffet meals to be disappointing, dinner and breakfast both being buffets. On the second evening the dinner choice consisted of 3 different types of pasta (with no sauce), a squid stew and chicken curry and that was it. We complained and were then allowed to order a la carte - and the food was very nice, although the choice was limited. We would definitely go back to Pilanesberg but would choose a different resort, this one looks and feels a bit tired.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Kedar Heritage Lodge, Conference Center & Spa
The Royal Marang Hotel
The Royal Marang Hotel
#1 of 12 in Rustenburg

Been to Golden Leopard Resort - Manyane? Share your experiences!