“WOW!”

The Palace of the Lost City
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have wanted to visit this hotel for 20 years and finally got to do so in April 2014. The building is simply magnificent. Take the time to enjoy it and have a look around. I went to the top floor of the hotel and couldn't believe the detail on the roof! We were told that Breakfast was outstanding, it wasn't and neither was the food in general, until we found The Grill Room (an onsite restaurant tucked away under the Tusk Bar), then the food went from disappointing to superb! We even had a Salt & Pepper 'Menu'. The Meerlust wine is a MUST as is a dawn hot air balloon ride! The walk to the Brewery through the maze is fun. The continual line of drivers in Mercs to take you wherever you want to go within Sun City really makes you feel special. Sun City itself is tired, very tired and is in desperate need of reinventing itself. It's tacky and smells of cigarettes. I wouldn't intentionally go back, but if I found myself in South Africa again, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to book a room, a meal in The Grill Room and a bottle of Meerlust.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SiobhanD1
There are newer reviews for The Palace of the Lost City

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Was at the palace for 3 days with family. Excellent property, massive, well built, fantastic architecture and facilities. HOWEVER, frankly if Sun City is what you want to see and enjoy, then why not stay at the other properties there which are cheaper and do a tour or a dinner at the Palace hotel. All facilities at Sun City are at the Cascades or the Casino. I would rather recommend that you stay at the Cascades or the Casino hotel which are also decent places, and have a blast with the money saved.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, the suites get grander. Depends on your budget
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank udaypilani
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Beautiful architecture amazing entrance. Service and the cleanliness of the rooms was disappointing.
Took my husband for his birthday celebrations and decided to book at The Palace hotel. The last time we visited Sun City was on our honeymoon, 21 years ago.
There was mess in the bathroom, hotel staff went on strike hotel did not inform guest of situation chaos at the hotel. Two days after check -out from the hotel I was charged a huge amount on my credit card which was not called for as the account was settled on check out. The inconvenience caused due to the fraud on my credit card. It took me months to save up for this weekend, and experiencing this situation was very disappointing.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jayshree911
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was a very special family occasion ranging from 2yrs to granny and grandpa. The hotel is absolutely amazing and the staff very helpful and friendly. It was very child friendly and of course there is so much to do at Sun City. I think the Palace has the best breakfast spread of any hotel that I have stayed in anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JohnJen27
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Its an amazing property, but the wifi is limited to 100 mb per room which is very less and the staff there is too arrogant. They are very frustrating and piss you off on every count. even the consirge which is too help guest is a disaster.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Adarsh63
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel in 2nd week of May,14 with our 6 year old daughter for 2 days. The design and architecture of this hotel is magnificent. The staffs are good. The breakfast is good though most of the menus are repetitive. The dinner was very good. There are lot of activities like waves, water world near the hotel. Transportation to and from hotel to nearby areas is excellent. We have a pleasant time in this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bibhu1510
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I Check into the Palace at the Lost City, and find a poo skid mark in the loo as i walk in. All in all the duty manager offers (in chronological order) 1: reassurance that the poo is gone now and all is good. 2: a change of room (cos im assuming nobody has made a poo in that loo, ever, separating myself from friends that are here with me) 3: offers me more Molton Brown body wash for the shower 4: asks me how to do her job 5: indirectly questions my integrity (did I make a record time poo and just called to complain?!)

Staff have been very apologetic over the phone. But have done jack about it, besides offering me some fruit (which is great for the digestive tract)

I am a well travelled Medical Doctor who is proudly South African. I'm ashamed that this is supposed to represent one of the most luxurious hotels in S.A.

I own an apartment in a 5 Star hotel, so I don't need any freebies*

I have pics. And it's disgusting.

Stayed: July 2014
Safari Lodge Hotel & Convention Centre
The Royal Marang Hotel
The Royal Marang Hotel
#1 of 12 in Rustenburg

Been to The Palace of the Lost City? Share your experiences!