“Self contained resort”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Sun City
Ireland
“Self contained resort”
Reviewed 24 February 2010

The staff at this hotel are second to none. They are so eager to help and with a smile. We had a lovely stay. The accomodation is nice. Not flush but nice. It was very clean with nice crisp bed sheets. The bathroom is clean although the tiles could do with being regrouted around the bath to make it look better, cleaner. The food at the hotel is beautiful. Ive been to alot of countries and the cabanas have the best and biggest selection of food i have ever seen, particulary at breakfast. I wasnt into the casinos etc in sun city but our son loved the pools, jet ski, go carting, elephant safari and the quad safari. The safaris were expensive for south africa but we will treasure the memories of those one off trips forever.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Nuernberg
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Our oom was small, dirty and need a facelift. The surroundings are great and we love it. Would be nice though to come back to a clean room.

Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Sun City hotels

Norfolk
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We are a young family who stayed at the Cabanas for a week last year. We were robbed 3 times. The 1st time someone came into my room whilst I was sleeping and took my purse off the side, 2nd time was around the pol when one of the staff walked off with my 3 yr olds toys and denied taking them, and lastly £700 was taken from our safe. The cabanas hotel are taking no responsibility for this and have treated us extremely badly. It is a very corrupt place to go - do not take families!
There is lots to do during the day, but NO evening entertainment and nothing to do if it rains. Not many restaurants either. But the Valley of Waves is wonderful

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank c4_claire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2010

2 nights at Sun City Cabanas just after New Year. First off, it took us 50 minutes from driving in the front gate (where you get a timed receipt, which is why I was able to check later), to getting to the room - check in was unbelievably slow. Apparently there was a strike on. No towels in the room when we arrived and long black hairs in the shower. No towels the second day after the room had been done - I called and then called again an hour later to remind them. Slightly odd rooms in that the loo and shower are separate on either side of the basin, which is open to the room...and, if you are on the ground floor, to anyone who's walking by - there isn't actually a separate bathroom. Breakfast was a total scrum, but not bad. Positives where that the rooms and beds had been updated quite nicely (although they have NO double beds at the Cabanas which also seems a bit odd!!) and that the grounds are well kept. Service was generally very friendly, if a bit tardy. The larger setting, with the lake and golf course, is stunning (although personally I still preferred the "real thing" - ie. Pilanesberg national park - just behind the hills) and the Entertainment Zone is tacky but fun. I didn't do waterworld as not my thing but 2 others in our party were happy campers. Cabanas is VERY short on restaurants but we had good evening meals at The Orchid (sushi and Asian) and Santorini (Greek/mediterranean) in Sun City/Cascades hotels. I would not choose to go back there but admit that it is good for families.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank FSHK
Mauritius
Reviewed 6 January 2010

The hotel was not very nice for the price. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was okay but it was not well lit. The bathroom was the worst I've seen; the water was smelly and dirty and the floor and tub were very dirty. The AC in my parents room was dripping and the staff did not do anything about it. After cleaning, the staff left our doors open with all our belongings left there. We were lucky that no one came in our room while we were away. The swimming pool also looked dirty. I was overall very disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Check in & check out was slow. Breakfast was a mess, everything looked old, dirty and flys were on everything, selection was very basic, taste was below average. We had to wait a long time to sit down the first morning however the second morning was quick.
The room was ok but then when my partner had a shower the drain & shower stall overflowed with dirty water and the staff could not fix it, they would not move us to another room.
That night we got back to the room at 10pm and found the drain to be worse than earlier. I was brushing my teeth and in the reflection of the mirror I seen a mouse crawl up the curtain! I laugh now thinking about it but at the time it was really gross and we asked for another room which they granted.
Staff were friendly enough however the concierge gave us the wrong directions to get to the airport! We drove 1 & 1/2 hours extra when it wasn't needed and nearly missed out flight.
I do not complain often about hotels as you will see from my other hotel reviews however this hotel was overpriced, dirty and I wished we never went there. I would suggest to pay a little extra and stay at one of the other hotels offered. Sun City was not very impressive if you have travelled a lot and if you have been to Las Vegas. I would not go back to Sun City ot recommend Sun City as a destination as it is just another casino and average water park experience. Everything was overpriced too.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 23 December 2009

TI thought that my room at the Cabanas was just fine, It was impeccably clean and certainly big enough. The bathroom was excellent. The pool was good sized. I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast. I took two game drives at Sun City and saw plenty of wildlife including a family of four white rhinos,a giant bull elephant with enormous tusks,a cheetah hiding behind a bush,anda variety of antelope. There were monkeys everywhere! I really appreciated the wide range of activities available at Sun City,there's even an excellent newstand. But please avoid the shebeen as the food is totally lacking in authenticity, A great place to recover from jet lag and fatigue when you fly into Jo'burg. There are also some very good restaurants.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled solo
#2 of 3 in Pilanesberg National Park
The Royal Marang Hotel
The Royal Marang Hotel
#1 of 12 in Rustenburg

Been to Cabanas? Share your experiences!