All reviews sun city hotel sun terrace vacation club golf course indian restaurant gary player lost city non smoking business conference buffet breakfast water activities water park pool side wave pool pilanesberg national park casino valley
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was a 60 year birthday (group of 8 adults and 3 children ) which could have been a wonderful family celebration which became a total disappointment. The check-in was a disaster, the rooms so noisy that you could not sleep (rooms 605/606) due to some machinery (aircon pumps ? ) The food at Santorinni restaurant below par, a bar at the pool that did not even stock Gin, and again at check-out some more embarrassing moments with family members being asked to pay while everything had already been taken care of. The facilities are also showing it's age and overall the whole complex need a total overhaul and the lazy and "don't care" staff in urgent need of training. This was our 12 th and last visit over a period of 12 years.

Room Tip: The noise level should be checked out first. Stay away from rooms 605 and 606
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank LeoRenette
Julius R, Manager at Soho Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Leo Renette,

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback.

I would like to assure you that all the issues you have raised in your report have been dealt with and we shall endevour to improve our service standards.

We would like to believe that you will give us another opportunity to redeemn ourselves and visit us once again.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Room given to us as 'family room' was too small for four of us. This place is as good as similar properties all over world which could be cheaper elsewhere. Nothing different as a casino (I am not a casino lover). Other activities are also average and not worth to travel all the way to South Africa rather go to similar places in South East Asia. Break fast didnt have any indian vegetarian items

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank niraj_surana

Dear Niraj Surana,

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback.

It is unfortunate that you feel our property did not deliver to your satisfaction. That is always a challenge as we service a diverse and wide clientelle.

We hope you will rethink and visit us once omre.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The first impression you get is that the hotel is too big and that it is difficult to manage it. We were part of a tour party and were given rooms in different wings of the hotel with long corridors and confusing floor numbers. It was like a big maze. The check in was a messy affair with another group checking in at the same time.
The rooms are quite decent, with clean and comfortable beds.The en suite bathroom was good with a generous supply of usual toiletries. No room for complaint there.
Since we were there only for a night, there was no time for utilising the other amenities of the hotel. We had dinner in the Chinese restaurant in the hotel, but it was a great disappointment. Clearly, someone there had no idea about Chinese food. The breakfast next morning was quite sumptuous affair and luckily the check out was no problem.
Since you have a free shuttle to travel to any part of the city, that is very convenient and if you happen to be in Sun city, for a day or two, I would still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank premc44

Dear Premc44,

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. It will greatly assist in helping us to improve our service levels.

I would like to assure you that all the issues that you raised have all beeen dealt with. It is a huge comfort to learn that there are some areas where we are getting it right.

We hope to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

"You are 20 minutes early for the check in, come back later" This is exactly how my week-end started. Not a hello, thank or please. And it was after I had been in a line for 15 minutes to check in!
After a heated exchange with the reception personnel they relented and agreed that we can do "the paperwork" an go to our room later.
Just walking around the complex it struck me how old and run down this place has become, perhaps I was over critical at the experience earlier, but somehow I doubt it.
The sundowner drinks at the pool side also did not work out well with me being told that the bar will close at 6 pm; what is the point of having a SUNSET drink if you have to have it before sunset?
The kids really enjoyed the Valley of the Waves, but was it crowded! I had to wait/grapple for a tube for both my daughter and I for almost 20 minutes as there is no discernable system whereby tubes are handed to people wanting to go on the ride; you simply hoard and grab the first available tube that becomes free after a person's umpteenth ride or they have fallen of, either way not cool.
The restaurants were of decent standard but the service there too seems to carry through from the reception area; perhaps this is the new philosophy?
I was left extremely disappointed and it will remain a mystery to me why do people in an area so badly in need of tourism revenue, treat the tourists so badly?
I will only go back kicking and screaming.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank DeonBotes63

Dear Deon46,

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback.

I would like to assure you that all the issues that you raised have been addressed and shall continue being an example in our re-training and staff motivation sessions.

Please accept my humble apologies and we hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us in the near future.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The sheer artificiality of the place hits you the moment you step into the lobby. Within an hour of being there , I started wondering if I had fallen on my head when I said yes to this place being added to the itinerary ! Extremely commercial approach of the establishment is obvious. This p,ace may be ok for people with kids of for someone who wishes to play the slot machine ad nauseum.
Will not recommend going there when S Africa has such beautiful natural beauty.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the garden or swimming pool
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Varsha_Manohar

Dear Varsha Manohar,

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback..

It is always a challenge to satisfy our diverse and wide clientelle, both internationally and locally.

We look forward to hosting you once again in the near future.