Small boutique guest house in Bantry Bay. Excellent ocean views from all rooms, which also have outside terraces with tables and chairs. Owner Olivier and his assistant Rudolph are most welcoming and go out of their way to help. Amandine the basset hound also has a habit of coming to say hello.
Rooms are clean and modern with personal touches designed by the owner. Good quality beds and linen. Bathroom products are of high quality.
Communal areas are tastefully decorated in a modern, natural style. Sundowners on the terrace are to be recommended. The property features an Infinity pool and sun terrace, with an adjacent dining area for private dining al fresco (chef can be ordered in - only breakfast is routinely served in-house).
Good continental buffet breakfast with ample choice. Option of sitting at large communal table to meet the other guests, or at private tables.
Honesty bar equipped with champagne, wines and beers plus tea, coffee, etc. If one thing is strange, it's that one is expected to list and pay for all coffee consumed - a tad incongruous, given that this is not a budget property. (Would be worth re-thinking that, Olivier.)
My wife and I stayed there twice during the World Cup - once in the private apartment below the swimming pool, which has a fully fitted kitchen and living space and a large private terrace. On the other occasion we stayed in a regular room which was considerably smaller but not lacking in style, also with a (shared) outside terrace. The larger room represented better value for money and the extra outlay is worth considering - it's also the owner's former private apartment,
The hotel, whilst not in the centre of town, is within walking distance of a couple of good restaurants. Were it not for the attentive personal service it might only warrant four stars but would still be highly rated. However, the owner helps tip it into the 5-star category (for a boutique guest house).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Compass House, perfectly positioned on the shores of the Atlantic Seaboard, promises its guests the ultimate in style and comfort. Located in Bantry Bay, just two minutes from the beach-front and ten minutes away from the city center, guests can enjoy breathtaking views of the ocean from every room. Compass House enjoys a warm atmosphere. It has wooden floors throughout. The biggest swimming pool in Cape Town and patio lend themselves brilliantly for daytime relaxation and witnessing the beautifully blissful South African sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Compass House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Compass House Hotel Bantry Bay
- Compass House Cape Town/Bantry Bay, South Africa