“Home abroad”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bantry Bay
Munich, Germany
“Home abroad”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I walked in the front door at sunset time..... ran through the place directly to terrace and there it was: the most stunning view I´ve seen. We´ve spent 11 days there and enjoyed it very much. However, the rooms and appartments are very different. The rooms with "ocean view" are really spectacular. The room I originally had, with "partial ocean view" was very dark. Yes, one could see the ocean, but only through a small window. And that was the only daylight, which was a little depressing. I was able to change rooms and enjoyed every moment of this great place. Service (housekeeping and breakfast servcice) was very friendly and helpful. Marnie´s assistant needs to show a bit more enthusiasm and empathy. Russell cooked for us on the first evening and we enjoyed an excellent 3 course meal. To make up for all the good food in South Africa I would have appreciated a gym or fitness room, which is not offered in this guest house. So thanks to Marnie and Russell for making us feel at home. I have already booked my next trip to the 52 de Wet in March!

Room Tip: Do not choose room 5, or anything with "partial ocean view". One definitely needs a car...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Stefanie,
I hope you are well & thank you for your review. I'm very sad to hear that yourself & Zelna didn't hit it off. Having only been with us for a short period of time, we are actually very pleased with her progress & possibly the language barrier stood between you. As English is not her first language.
I completely agree with you regarding the gym & hope to fit one in near future.
Thank you again, it was a real pleasure having you stay with us & look forward to seeing you again in March.

Kind Regards.

Marnie & the Team x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
London
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We could not fault our stay at 52 de Wet. The location is great, a few minutes from the centre of Cape Town, 5 mins from the bottom of the Table Mountain cable car and just minutes away from Camps Bay for bars and restaurants, but on a quiet road with spectacular views of the sea. The staff were incredibly helpful, friendly and professional, offering to book restaurants and taxis as needed as well as giving the benefit of their local knowledge with various recommendations for excursions. (Kirstenbosch gardens being a particular highlight and not in our plans until recommended by Russell.) The rooms are huge, decorated tastefully and spotlessly clean. We stayed for three nights in the deluxe ocean view room which had a beautiful view, large bathroom and a super comfy bed and then stayed in the penthouse for our final night which was absolutely out of this world. If you can, just go for it, you won't be disappointed! We would also say that anyone staying at 52 should seriously think twice about dining out, Russell's food and Marnie's hospitality were sensational. We dined in twice in our four night stay and would have done so more often if we didn't feel guilty about not getting out and about! We can honestly say we've never enjoyed a stay in a hotel as much as we did at 52. We will definitely be returning and would unreservedly recommend 52 de Wet to anyone looking for accommodation in Cape Town.

Room Tip: We stayed in both the deluxe ocean facing room and the penthouse. Both were superb but the penthouse...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Patrick C
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
WOW, what a review!
I'm completely speechless! Thank you very much, I have passed on your lovely comments to the team & hope that we'll welcome you again, hopefully when the weather is slightly more on your side.

Marnie Fennell
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

It is one of these places, which truly doesn't need further recommendations, but it is so good, I can't resist. So here goes:

52 de Wet is located amidst Cape Town's beautiful residential area. You not only feel like you belong there, but you feel AT HOME. And what a home it is! The view is to die for. The interior is stylish and welcoming. Everything is designed with taste and care for perfection. There is no slightest intention for quality to be compromised. These high-end surroundings are perfectly complemented by staff, who is nice, helpful and flexible.

I think 52 de Wet mastered the art of "an exceptional stay" in venue, design atmosphere and deed. Of course the beauty and charm of Cape Town help, but hardly anything could go wrong during a weekend getaway if your Boutique Hotel takes care of all these "exceptional stay" essentials. Highly highly recommended!

2 Thank blue5150
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for the review, myself & the staff at 52 are so pleased you felt at home in our beautiful hotel. This is exactly the feel we are aiming for & hope others also feel this.
Please take care & we hope to see you again soon.

The 52 Team
Lausanne
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We had an unforgettable stay at De Wet !

Service : Marnie, Russel, *David* and their team were irreproachable. Thanks so much !
Situation : no wind, safe, incredible views.
Rooms : , spacious, huge balcony (penthouse), bathroom with ocean views, X-Large very comfortable bed.

We highly recommand that Luxury Hotel.

Room Tip: Any ocean facing room !
1 Thank Mehdi_Mer
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Bless you & thank you. It was a real pleasure having you both & David misses you dearly.
I can see him sat outside looking in as I type. You won't believe I brought him a collar yesterday & we can safely say he will not be wearing it, he's defiantly still a wild one.
Please let me know if you'd like to return, in the meantime everyone sends their regards & keep warm! Marnie x
Cape Town
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Sadly we only had one night at 52 De Wet - but what a special place! We received a warm friendly welcome, despite arriving later than planned. We were immediately offered whatever we would like to drink - and a cup of tea at that point, was exactly what we needed.

We drank this is the small lounge alongside the dining room - where both breakfast and dinner (by arrangement) is served. The views at every angle from the pool deck were absolutely breathtaking.

The décor is sleek and modern, with a touch of Africa. Our room was a very generous size with a HUGE bath - as well as a shower. No view from our bath, but I understand there are other rooms that have baths with a view.

The staff members we met were friendly, efficient and helpful at all times. Breakfast was fresh and generous - everything you could think of. Hot breakfasts are made to order too.

It is such a beautiful and peaceful place that if we had had longer there, we would have been tempted to just hole up there - and not bother to go anywhere else! It really is a 'destination' in its own right.

For the really sensitive sleepers - there are frogs nearby in what I imagine is a mountain stream - I personally found the sound friendly - and made me feel as if we were deep in the countryside.

Every city option is very close by. Cabs are the easiest to get to and from 52 De Wet, but if you are there for a long stay, a car rental is probably the best choice. Lots of interesting things are in walking distance - but you have to get BACK - up quite a seriously steep hill. I'd suggest walking there....... but taking a cab BACK if you have not got a rental car.

Room Tip: Each room has its own special features - some have their own plunge pools, some have huge baths with...
1 Thank TravelBarbieCapeTown
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review & I'm sorry I personally missed your visit but it's always a joy to know that in my absence my staff are on top of everything.
They absolutely enjoyed having you both stay and I hope you will visit for slightly longer next time, so I can have the pleasure also.

Kind Regards & Best Wishes,

The 52 De Wet Team
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I recently stayed at 52 De Wet during third week of August. Excellent location, seconded with pampering super friendly service of professional team (including Russ, Marnie, Anatoly) and excellent food, made our stay homely, familiar home like feeling. Would recommend friends to visit and definitely wil revisit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
marns23, Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you so much for the amazing review, it was a real pleasure meeting yourself & your wife.
It would be lovely to have you visit 52 De Wet in the future.

Marnie, Russell & the Team
Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Spend a few days for the second time at 52 de Wet!! And again it was fantastic. First time we stayed in the apartment which has a plunge pool, a lot of space and a great terrace.
Second time we booked the penthouse suite and I wished I could stay there again this year between Christmas & New Year, but already booked. View is amazing, room is spacious and the bathroom...... great
Anatoly & staff thanks for taking care of us we had again a lovely time and definitely come back

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PienAmsterdam
Marnie F, Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you so much for choosing 52 De Wet. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and it was a real pleasure to have you.
If you'd like to visit again, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Marnie, Russell & the Team
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,804 reviews
Ellerman House
Ellerman House
#2 of 6 in Bantry Bay

Been to 52 De Wet? Share your experiences!