“The only thing to beat the amazing view is the service”
Review of 52 De Wet

52 De Wet
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bantry Bay
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Husband and I stayed at 52 De Wet either side of a garden route trip and had simple the most amazing time. The Hotel and it's views are breath taking, we stayed one night in room 2 and the rest of the time in the suite (room 7) which meant we had our own balcony, pool and huge living area. Both rooms were clean, well equipped and tastefully decorated with their own floor to ceiling views of the sea.

Meals are served on the terrace overlooking the ocean, the food and wine choices were delicious, we only planned to eat dinner in once but asked for a second night because of how good it was.

To top it all off the staff were fantastic, Russ/Marnie and the team really took care of us, always on hand to tell us about the area, book a taxi, recommend amazing restaurants or help us think of things to do. A nice touch is that there is always someone on hand, so when you come back in the late at night it makes you feel extra safe - we stayed at a few guest hosts in SA and this was the only one that had that. We couldn't fault the whole team as hosts and will definitely be looking to come back.

Room Tip: The suite of room 7 is amazing
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

wow... thank you so much for the lovely review.. it was a real pleasure to be part of your amazing trip, we really did enjoy having you guys around the hotel. My records show you have already booked to stay next year so the team must be doing something right, until then, enjoy the English summer..

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Had a fantastic two weeks at 52 De Wet Road, it was very hard to leave. The apartment had amazing views of the sea, a gorgeous room, and all the necessities you need for self catering. The staff were fantastic, Russ, Marnie and the rest of the team made me feel very welcome and helped me navigate my way round the amazing restaurants of cape town. However you don't need to leave the Hotel as the food is amazing quality, I had a number of 3 course meals cooked by Russell that were fantastic and the views from the hotel just gave it that wow factor. I definitely recommend taking advantage of the food. A truly amazing holiday that will be difficult to repeat, thanks 52.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank alexanba
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Well Alex, thank you for a lovely review and pictures. We really do miss having you around, for the 2 weeks you were here it felt like you were part of the team (you make excellent tea). David 'the wild cat' is very confused as to your whereabouts! please keep in touch, it'd be great to have you return

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here last week for a friends wedding. Not only was it one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in as far as location and the spectacular rooms and views were concerned but Marnie, Russell and the team were incredible hosts throughout. I would recommend this to anybody and we will be visiting again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Hi Sophie,

I hope you are well & I'm pleased to hear the weather back home is improving!
It was a real pleasure having you both stay with us at 52 De Wet, I hope your thumb is ok & that we'll see again this time next year.

Best Wishes from the whole team!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Great design with a fantastic view and sound of the sea.
The service was really wonderful, and the staff more than
helpful.Breakfast on the terrace is close to perfect.
Hope to visit again.
Karin and Berny.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dr Fresco, so kind of you to leave us your feedback. It was very interesting to meet you, just a shame it was so short. Glory and Lucas loved the pictures you sent, it was the cause of much amusement. Take care and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was using 52 De Wet as my base for my 8 days in Cape Town. I traveled with my bike, and both my bike & I where made to feel very welcome! Russ & Marnie and all the staff made me feel right at home from the off set! I have worked in 5 * Hotels all over the world and can honestly say this team have it spot on.

The location of the hotel was great for me to hit the road early and gave me a chance to practice my hill climbing on the way back! after a hard mornings ride it was great to come back to a nutritious breakfast and i was always offered a drink as i walked through the door.
I hope to see you again.

Cheers Roland

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank roland k
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for your review, we really enjoyed having you and your bike stay with us.
I hope that we will see you again soon.... Argus maybe? Either way please keep in contact and take care.

Kindest Regards,

The 52 De Wet Team

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the 2 bedroom suite, and wish it could have been more. The room was spacious, clean, and the perfect launching point for getting out and about. We could easily walk to Lion's Head, Table Mountain, and Clifton Beach from here. Russ and Marnie are the perfect hosts, arranging a sunset picnic atop table mountain, a day tour down to Cape Point and Boulders Beach (with a fabulous lunch in Kalk Bay), dinners in town, and even care for a fractured ankle. It's clear they love what they're doing and showing others their new home. There's no question that if and when I get back to Cape Town, this is where I'm staying.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you, your so kind. We really do love what we are doing, I don't think you can even begin to compare rainy England to this. We've been given a wonderful opportunity & we are most certainly making the most of it.
It was a pleasure having you both stay with us, even with the swollen ankle, I hope we'll welcome you again!

Kind Regards,

Marnie, Russell & the Team

Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

This is a gem of a hotel, with 8 rooms perched on the hill above stunning Bantry Bay, with an infinity pool and panoramic views towards Cape Town and Camps Bay.

Russell and Marnie are everything you could want in a host - friendly, accommodating, helpful and efficient. Nothing is too much trouble and Russell's cakes are to die for!
tea, coffee and cake and biscuits are always available in the central room. I just wish we could have eaten dinner there, menus designed around the guests and parties and corporate dinners catered for we gathered.

The room we had (no 4) was very spacious, with a massive bathroom and lovely touches like candles and bath salts. There was a teeny bit of plumbing noise from the adjacent room when taps were used but it was not significant.

Our room came with its own sheltered balcony and stunning view.

The staff all follow their managers' lead in being friendly and helpful and help to make it the success it clearly is.

Can't wait to return and wish we hadn't had such a short stay. Highly recommended!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Marnie F, General Manager at 52 De Wet, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

What a lovely review, we're touched & so pleased you enjoyed your time here with us.
We've got your name on a dinner table next time you visit & hope the UK weather is beginning to brighten up.

Best Wishes,

Blackheath Lodge
#4 of 112 in Cape Town Central
Tintswalo Atlantic
#1 of 4 in Hout Bay

Been to 52 De Wet? Share your experiences!