“Perfectly Pod”
Review of POD Camps Bay

POD Camps Bay
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Pod is an absolute gem in the heart of trendy Camps Bay. Uber chic and relentlessly stylish, yet with an incredibly warm heart and service deeply embedded with old fashioned values. I have read with dismay a couple of negative reviews of this amazing little place so I'm going to deal with the elephant in the room first, the block of flats opposite the hotel. Yes it isn't going to win any style awards but I understand it is one of the oldest buildings in Camps Bay and I actually found it a little refreshing to see something that gave an insight into what Camps Bay may have been like before it became all Dolce and Gabana and million pound homes. In any event, the architect who designed Camps Bay, apart from creating an exciting and stunning piece of modern architecture also ensured that most of the rooms look down onto the beach, which I might add is only paces from the hotel. I think the block of flats is a tiny price to pay for the proximity to the beach (you can walk to the hotel and back without wheezing!!!!!).

The room we stayed in was absolutely stunning (really, absolutely stunning!!!!). In many design led hotels there is a definate case of style over substance, but this is far removed from the attention to detail and the amazing staff of Pod. I suffer from asthma, and a boat trip whale watching the day before had led to a very bad chest infection, and I was feeling dreadful when I arrived at Pod. Brendan could not have been more helpful, nothing, absolutely nothing was too much trouble, he made us feel like we were his only guests, and he was an adsolute delight to deal with. In the evening Nick also fell over himself to help us in any way he could, such a refreshing change from many large hotels where you are made to feel like a number or worse an inconvenience. For me the amazing management team at Pod and their delightful staff made the experience for us. They should be congratulated for being the icing on a very scrumptious and perfectly baked cake. If you're visiting Cape Town, please spend at least a little time at perfect little Pod, an experience that will feast your eyes, indulge your senses and warm your heart.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter. It's about the whole experience.
2  Thank nosyposy
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Nosyposy

Thank you for taking the time to give us this wonderful feedback.

It is interesting to read such a refreshing take on the "Elephant in the Room!"
As you point out, the location and proximity to the beach as well as the many restaurants along the strip far outweigh the views of the neighboring buildings.

It's a pity that you had such a nasty chest infection during your stay with us as I am sure that you would have enjoyed the many restaurants and activities in the area.

Perhaps this is the perfect excuse for a future stay with us...

There are newer reviews for POD Camps Bay

Reviewed 21 August 2012

My wife and I booked POD for the last 4 nights of our 3 week vacation in Southern Africa (SA, Botswana and Zambia), and we couldnt've been any happier -- well, with the lone exception of having stayed there another week! All of the staff is professional, warm and very knowledgeable about the area and Cape Town in general. It was a big plus to have them there to help us plan our days and nights, and all of their recommendations were spot-on. The hotel itself is beautiful, especially if you're into modern, sleek design, and the location and views are unbeatable! We had a huge room w/ a private deck and a straight-on ocean view ... miss it just thinking about it. The breakfast is top-notch as well, and all of the little details are covered. Incredible experience, highly recommend it, and really look forward to coming back during the Summer months! Thanks to everyone at POD for helping make our trip the best one yet!

1  Thank tanin b

Dear Tanin B

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at POD Camps Bay.

I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that you felt all of our restaurant & activities suggestions were spot on.

It would be a pleasure to host you both again in the future and on your next stay you will have the added benefit of the new Spa and Gym that is currently under construction.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I first visited POD in July to see if it would be a good venue for an overnight stay (after the engagement proposal I was planning for August), and was immediately impressed with the venue, the staff and the stunning rooms.

Brendan and the team could not have been more helpful and really made an effort to make our special day even more so.

When we arrived at POD on the big day (she said yes!), we were escorted directly to our deluxe suite to find champagne & chocolates to help us celebrate, and petals all over the bed. We loved everything about the room, especially the dual rain showers and underfloor heating, and whilst we didn't have time to enjoy all the facilities, we were impressed with the way POD had catered for every need.

We really appreciated being able to order in breakfast the following morning, and were treated to an amazing health breakfast with fruits, omelettes, poached eggs, chocolate croissants and more. The food was beautifully presented, and cooked to perfection, which was no surprise.

We will definitely return for an ovenight stay on a future anniversary, and before then for a drink at the POD's stunning looking bar for a sunset view of Camps Bay beach...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ed S

Dear Ed-Scott

Many thanks for posting such a glowing report on your stay with us at POD Camps Bay.

It gives us great pleasure knowing that your engagement stay with us will be a fond memory that you will both cherish for many years to come.

It was a pleasure arranging the romantic turn down, chocolates and champagne. We just wish that you could have stayed longer to enjoy the amazing views from your Deluxe Suite.

We look forward to hosting you on one of your anniversaries, or even better, your Honeymoon!

Good luck with the wedding plans and we wish you all the best for your upcoming special day.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

POD Camps Bay is everything we could have wished for on our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived Brendan warmly welcomed us and made us feel extremely special. He upgraded us to a suite (decorated with champagne and flowers) for our special occasion and then went above and beyond to plan it as a surprise for my wife by transferring our rooms while we were out at dinner (and at an fantastic dinner recommendation too!).

The hotel is classy, stylish, and only a block from the beach set amidst trendy bars and restaurants. It rained our whole weekend, but nonetheless, Brendan helped ensure we had a fabulous stay regardless.

Breakfast was fresh and delicious, the staff was courteous and extremely helpful without being intrusive, and we shared many a glass of wine just chatting with Brendan and the staff before heading out for the evening. All in all, POD made us feel like part of a small family and we can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Higher floors have tremendous views, would reserve the room with a private pool for warmer months!
1  Thank eorgel
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Dear EOrgel

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us at POD Camps Bay.

The surprise upgrade to one of our Deluxe Suites was an absolute pleasure.
Little gestures make a big impact on a guests stay and at POD , we are all dedicated to ensuring that every guest feels special during their time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the POD family soon!

Brendan Boyle,

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I just wrote a review, a stellar one, and was checking it over and it disappeared! so here goes another attempt! : )

I stayed here in mid-June so while it may have been a bit colder it didn't detract from my stay at all! Everything about my stay at the Pod, the people I encountered in Cape Town and all the amazing things I was able to do within my 6 day stay was 100% enjoyable and absolutely memorable.

The Pod is an elegant, modern, chique, extremely comfortable, cozy, and clean boutique hotel. The amenities like the robe, bath products, room extras and even the flip flops provided were all exciting extras : ) The flip-flops became my summer flip-flops and a great souvenir. I had a room that faced the beach and it was wonderful to sleep with the door slightly open so I could hear the waves and wake up to the beach in the morning. You also have a good view of the 12 Apostles mountain range behind you and it all makes for fabulous scenery. The restaurants, shops and bar are all right there along the beach. The hotel is one block in from the beach.. so it is a great, convenient location. I moved into the city for the weekend and while I enjoyed it, I kinda wished I hadn't moved from the Pod where I had stayed during the weekdays... as Camp's Bay is a great place on the weekend too for the views of the sunset and the popular places to eat and hang out that are right there.

Brendan, along with every member of the staff at the Pod I met, was genuinely friendly, professional, tended to my needs and requests promptly and made sure they did everything possible to make sure I was happy, well looked after and enjoying my stay. Thank you : ) a thousand times! It truly makes all the difference to have such a warm welcome and feel so comfortable to be staying in a hotel. Every effort made on my behalf is tremendously appreciated.

Brendan also recommended a host of the city, George Alexander. George took me to see the cheetahs, on a tour of wine country, to the Cape of Good Hope, to his favorite views of the city and since I was traveling on my own even showed me cool places to hang out downtown. We also went to the museum. He is patient, friendly, professional, fun, kind, accommodating and worth every penny : ) So my time outside the hotel was seen to by Brendan to be well-spent and enjoyable. I was placed into George's care and was absolutely extremely well-taken care of during my stay.

I have to tell you all that based on my experiences in Cape Town which were all wonderful, memorable, exciting and fulfilling that I found myself needing to return ASAP and to call it home : ) It is truly a remarkable place to visit. The Pod left an impressive impression and I would return to stay there in a heartbeat! I felt welcomed, well-looked after by every one going out of their way to make sure I was happy and my needs were met, to the fact it's a cool hotel to be in : ) and in a great location.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Cape Town as much as I did : ) and find that your experience there and at the Pod was 100% perfect : )

Room Tip: I was there when it was too cold to use the pool, unfortunately... and I don't believe they have...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Fetoun R
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Dear Fetoun

Thank you for the incredible review and kind words regarding your stay with us at POD.
I have shared your feedback with the team!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the trips that George took you on, he is a great host and his local knowledge of what to see and do is incredible.

With regards to your room tip, the great news is that we are currently building a Spa and Gymnasium which should be ready for this summer season.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Cape Town soon!

Kind regards

Brendan Boyle,

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We visited Camps bay in March for a friends wedding.
The POD hotel was first rate.
The staff were lovely. Very friendly and helpful but not intrusive.
We were upgraded for free on our last night which was such a nice touch and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The beach view rooms are very luxurious and roomy with large balconies giving a stunning views. The mountain view rooms are smaller with no balcony which is a shame but they are very well priced for the high standards provided.
The rooms were spotless clean, modern and well air conditioned.
The breakfasts were really nice I recommend the POD special. Also plenty fresh fruit and breads/pastries cold meats and cheeses to pick from.
The location is perfect 5 minutes walk from the main street and the beach.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clarey11
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

Dear Clary11

It was a pleasure upgrading you into one of our Deluxe Suites for the last night of your stay with us. We try to offer upgrades to all of our (favorite) long stay guests however this is not always possible, especially during the summer season.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in March and I trust that your friends wedding was a success.

We are in the process of adding two more mountain rooms to the property - slightly different in design and although smaller than the luxury rooms, will offer a great space with lovely views over Lions Head.

We would love to welcome you back to POD and have some fantastic specials running during the winter period.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We had high expectations of POD after visiting their website and it didn't disappoint. The building is beautifully-designed and flawlessly constructed. All the details were thought through and our room was very comfortable. We did have some jet lag the first night (having flown in from Los Angeles) and had a bit of difficulty ignoring the sound of waves crashing on the beach (yes, it's that close!). The staff, particularly the GM, Brendan, were very thoughtful in making sure that our visit to Cape Town was as enjoyable as possible. We received excellent dining recommendations and an fantastic selection of wineries to visit during a day trip to Stellenbosch. All in all a wonderful choice - one of our favorite boutique hotels!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are a wonderful treat. Highly recommended (as long as you're happy with the sou...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mmargolin
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Dear Mmargolin

Thank you for posting such a positive review of POD.

Guest interaction and service excellence is what makes us stand out from the crowd and it was an absolute pleasure being able to tailor make your winelands trip. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the estates that we recommended.

It's good to know that you liked our selection of restaurants, with so many hidden gems in Cape Town, it's important for us to stay current with the latest and best offerings for our guests.

Warm regards from a stunning Camps Bay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camps Bay
City Bowl
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
#5 of 111 in Cape Town Central

Been to POD Camps Bay? Share your experiences!