“The true definition of service & modern style”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of POD Camps Bay

POD Camps Bay
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
San Francisco, California
“The true definition of service & modern style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Note: this is my first trip advisor review and I travel a fair amount. This hotel is worth a review. From the moment our eyes landed on POD Camps Bay, we knew we made the right choice of hotels in Cape Town. The location of the hotel is fantastic - right across from the beach but slightly removed from the main road with traffic. The layout and design of the hotel completely fit our style - open floor plan, minimalist style but not lacking any of the perks. We were truly amazed at how friendly & helpful each and every member of the staff was. From providing paddles and balls at the beach to plating our take-out dinner order to making sure we had water for any excursion to the movies and popcorn for our room, they were EXCEPTIONAL. I honestly can't imagine staying anywhere else. Other boutique hotels should follow thier model!

Room Tip: Definitely splurge for the ocean view for the room size, not necessarily b/c you'll be looking d...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimberly t
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Kimberly

I am delighted to hear that your first review after extensive travel is about our property.

Thank you for the worm words on the location, style and most importantly the service that you received from the team. To say that the staff were friendly, helpful and exceptional is such a compliment and a testament to the team that I am so fortunate to have in my employ.

Best regards,

General Manager, POD Camps Bay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for 8 nights in April/May 2014 and we had an amazing experience. The hotel is modern with very nice/stylish rooms but the best thing about it is the staff => very friendly and helpful. This is what really makes a difference. Thanks to Brendan and Team

Oliver

1 Thank oliver_richter
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Oliver

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.

It was an absolute pleasure hosting Nadia and yourself during the 8 days that you were based in Camps Bay.

I am elated to hear that you felt that the service was the best thing about our hotel.

We are incredibly fortunate have such a brilliant and dedicated team committed to helping and assisting every guest that comes through our doors.

We hope to see you again later in the year.

Best regards,

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Wow, what can I say but what a wonderful experience we had at this hotel. I booked for a 2 night stay and I experienced great service throughout the stay. It was my first time in Cape Town so I was a little apprehensive about the whole trip but needless to say, it started off well the moment we checked-in. The lounge area is small but intimate, and with the view of the swimming pool and ocean it felt spacious.

We probably had the cheapest room (no private pool, no balcony) but as it was a corner room it was apparently a little more spacious? I liked that the room was well-designed - to save on space the room was built in an open-plan concept. If you don't like that, then don't stay at the hotel. I was fine with the sink right next to the wardrobe. The shower area was HUGE, and the toilet has its own little room so that was good. Free mini-bar is always a great touch. You can also have free drinks at the lounge too.

The service is what took this hotel to the next level. Everyone is friendly. I asked for directions and recommendations from the staff, and I got great answers.

Parking is a little tricky as you have to drive up/down this tiny, steep slope that leads into the garage. Very tricky if your car is a normal-sized one. Lucky for me, I had a small rental car so it was manageable. But I'm sure with such great service you can always get one of the staff to drive it in/out for you.

Breakfast there was amazing. I was totally blown away. Look, it's a small boutique hotel so don't expect a buffet spread like those large 5-star hotel chains (not that there's anything wrong with that!). There is a breakfast spread, but on a much smaller scale. Plenty of fresh, local fruit which I loved - kiwi, grapefruit, passionfruit, figs, strawberries - wow. And you have your usual cereal and toast. You can also order eggs and porridge from a menu. I had the most amazing, tasty porridge ever, and I am not even a porridge fan!

And of course, if you love rooibos tea like I do, then you are in heaven.

POD hotel isn't the cheapest, but it makes up for having a great location and top-notch service. And the breakfast! I had a great time there, and I will be sure to return when I am next in Cape Town.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed and glowing report about your stay at POD.

As mentioned in your review, our rooms have an open plan bedroom and bathroom layout. This along with the design elements creates a room that people either love or hate and thankfully most guests (including yourself) love it!

Thank you for the praise on the complimentary mini bar, breakfast and most importantly the service that you received from the team.

The basement parking area is a little tricky to navigate and we are always happy to valet park vehicles for guests should they not feel confident squeezing through the narrow access.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This place is just amazing, possibly the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Stunning views of both Camps Bay and Table Mountain make relaxing on the balcony with a wine all that more enjoyable. The rooms are beautifully designed and roomy. But what really made our stay special are the staff. Little treats like popcorn being delivered to our room when we were watching a movie, and packing water for day trips, made us feel very special. Thanks to Brendan and the team at POD. We will be back again soon.

Dear Renae

It was a pleasure hosting Nick and yourself during your stay in Camps Bay.

To comment that POD was one of the best hotels that you have possibly ever stayed in is such a compliment.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the views from the balcony and the design of the room

Thanks for the praise on the staff and the service that you experienced. We have just received a Tripadvisor award recognizing out commitment to delivering exceptional service standards.

We hope to host you again soon.

Sonoma CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We like small hotels where the staff really knows and cares about the guests. The Pod is an excellent example of this. First, I have to say the this is a modern hotel but one that feels like home, this is the place. Camps Bay is not in the center of Cape Town but it is only about 15-20 minutes from anyplace there that you would want to visit and you will be treated to amazing drives on your way and way back. We had a suite with a view of the ocean and beach. Breakfast was wonderful. The small bar was great (thanks Louis). The front desk team was wonderful. They got a great driver for us, Theo. We can recommend him. The hotel does not have a real restaurant but twice they go us the most amazing take out. We were there five days and sad to leave.

Room Tip: Room 201 is a bit expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank avrammiller
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Avram

I am thrilled to have received such a positive review from you, especially as you are a top contributor on the Tripadvisor forum.

Thanks for the warm words on the design, location and service offering from the team.

I am thrilled to hear that you felt as though you were staying in home away from home environment as this is exactly what we aim to achieve with our polished yet relaxed service offering.

I have relayed your compliment to Lewis - his Margaritas are phenomenal.

Thanks for the feedback on Theo, partnering with this company for our tours and excursions was one of the best decisions that we made.

We hope to see you again soon.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Our stay at the pod was fantastic, first of all the staff are brilliant nothing was too much trouble Nick & Brendan were just so helpful & knowledgable. The hotel rooms are beautiful, we had a room with private pool which has a lovely spacious outdoor area. The attention to detail & decor really is fab... Well worth a splurge for a bit of luxury.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Jayne

Thanks for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

Nick and I are elated with the mention and it's great to hear that you had such a good time with us in December.

Thank you for the praise on the room, the decor and the attention to detail.

We hope to see you again soon!

Dunstable
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Fantastic hotel and service. Beautiful well throughout rooms with lovely friendly staff. There really isn't anything to complain about. This hotel has attention to detail and I would highly recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed April 2014
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Edward

Thank you for posting such an "outstanding" review about POD on Tripadvisor.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the service offering from the team as well as rooms and attention to detail throughout the hotel.

Thank you again for choosing POD for your accommodation in Cape Town, I hope to welcome you back at some point in the near future.

Kind regards,

Blackheath Lodge
Blackheath Lodge
#3 of 106 in Cape Town Central
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,792 reviews

Been to POD Camps Bay? Share your experiences!