“Best Hotel in Cape Town (arguably the world)”
Review of POD Camps Bay

POD Camps Bay
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
San Francisco, California
“Best Hotel in Cape Town (arguably the world)”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is by far the best boutique I have EVER stayed at in the world - and I travel quite a bit. Everything about this hotel is incredible - especially the staff. The location is absolutely fantastic as it is directly across from the beach and within walking distance of the main road which features an array of lively bars and restaurants. The interior of the hotel is very modern and stylish yet warm and welcoming. The one aspect of the room that may be a bit bothersome is the open air shower which does not give much privacy. However, given how absolutely fabulous the hotel is, this minor inconvenience was easily overlooked. The real, true value of this hotel is the SERVICE and the STAFF. WOW! The staff goes above and beyond to make your stay as accommodating as ever. I wish every hotel I stayed at was this accommodating. Not only was Brendan and his team flexible with our late departure time from the hotel, but they helped us book everything from dinner reservations to spa treatments. Most importantly, the entire staff was willing to help and competent/capable at completing any request. During our trip we ended up going to Botswana for one portion of the trip, and POD's was more than happy to store our excess luggage. I fully plan on heading back to Cape Town and will ONLY stay at Pods! There is absolutely no better hotel to stay at!

Room Tip: We booked a classic room and a luxury room with a pool. We did not end up using the pool that much a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank worldtraveler4242
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Nisha and the Choksi family

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review about your two stays with us at POD Camps Bay.

To be placed on a pedestal with the best in South Africa is such a compliment, to be placed on a pedestal with the best in the world is incredible. Thank you!

The late departure was an absolute pleasure as was arranging the spa treatments, restaurant bookings and other activities for you during your trip. I am pleased to hear that this willingness had such a positive impact on your stay.

We hope to welcome your family back to POD at some point in the near future.

General Manager, POD Camps Bay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Tiburon, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Room Tip: We booked one luxury room and one classic room. While the luxury room did have a private pool, it wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pkctravel
Dear Nisha and the Choksi family

We hope to welcome your family back to POD at some point in the near future.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Modern luxury at its best! The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The location is fantastic and stones throw from the beach and Camps Bay promenade. The rooms are spacious and luxurious with all amenities possible. Well worth a visit!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craigvdb
Dear Craig

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at POD.

Thanks for the praise on the hotel, facilities, location and the service offering from the team.

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is my 2 nd review on Trip Advisor ever-and way overdue. Rating the Pod is like rating your family---you just can't put this place in a league of all the other hotels--- from my first stay here to my 4th I felt instantly at home thanks to the attentive, personal approach of the staff under outstanding management of Mr. Brendan Boyle. The property is high style/design & unbeatable location next to Camps Bay---gorgeous breakfast & a bar that you can't wait to get to mid-day or sundowners at the pool. I have traveled the world for 30 years---stayed in the best places-- so I do know what I am talking about. This place is unique in the most beautiful City in the world. Come here & let them take care of you. I will be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Mark

After your 4th stay with us, I am glad that you finally managed to post a review of your experiences.

Thank you for the mention regarding my running of the hotel as well as your commendations on the style, design, location and uniqueness of the property.

You were a guest on your first stay, a friend on your second and became family from your third.

I know that you have not yet finalized your plans for December but we are holding thumbs that you will return to POD once again!

Warmest,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Note: this is my first trip advisor review and I travel a fair amount. This hotel is worth a review. From the moment our eyes landed on POD Camps Bay, we knew we made the right choice of hotels in Cape Town. The location of the hotel is fantastic - right across from the beach but slightly removed from the main road with traffic. The layout and design of the hotel completely fit our style - open floor plan, minimalist style but not lacking any of the perks. We were truly amazed at how friendly & helpful each and every member of the staff was. From providing paddles and balls at the beach to plating our take-out dinner order to making sure we had water for any excursion to the movies and popcorn for our room, they were EXCEPTIONAL. I honestly can't imagine staying anywhere else. Other boutique hotels should follow thier model!

Room Tip: Definitely splurge for the ocean view for the room size, not necessarily b/c you'll be looking d...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimberly t
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Kimberly

I am delighted to hear that your first review after extensive travel is about our property.

Thank you for the worm words on the location, style and most importantly the service that you received from the team. To say that the staff were friendly, helpful and exceptional is such a compliment and a testament to the team that I am so fortunate to have in my employ.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for 8 nights in April/May 2014 and we had an amazing experience. The hotel is modern with very nice/stylish rooms but the best thing about it is the staff => very friendly and helpful. This is what really makes a difference. Thanks to Brendan and Team

Oliver

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oliver_richter
BrendanBoyle, General Manager at POD Camps Bay, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Oliver

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.

It was an absolute pleasure hosting Nadia and yourself during the 8 days that you were based in Camps Bay.

I am elated to hear that you felt that the service was the best thing about our hotel.

We are incredibly fortunate have such a brilliant and dedicated team committed to helping and assisting every guest that comes through our doors.

We hope to see you again later in the year.

Best regards,

Hong Kong
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Wow, what can I say but what a wonderful experience we had at this hotel. I booked for a 2 night stay and I experienced great service throughout the stay. It was my first time in Cape Town so I was a little apprehensive about the whole trip but needless to say, it started off well the moment we checked-in. The lounge area is small but intimate, and with the view of the swimming pool and ocean it felt spacious.

We probably had the cheapest room (no private pool, no balcony) but as it was a corner room it was apparently a little more spacious? I liked that the room was well-designed - to save on space the room was built in an open-plan concept. If you don't like that, then don't stay at the hotel. I was fine with the sink right next to the wardrobe. The shower area was HUGE, and the toilet has its own little room so that was good. Free mini-bar is always a great touch. You can also have free drinks at the lounge too.

The service is what took this hotel to the next level. Everyone is friendly. I asked for directions and recommendations from the staff, and I got great answers.

Parking is a little tricky as you have to drive up/down this tiny, steep slope that leads into the garage. Very tricky if your car is a normal-sized one. Lucky for me, I had a small rental car so it was manageable. But I'm sure with such great service you can always get one of the staff to drive it in/out for you.

Breakfast there was amazing. I was totally blown away. Look, it's a small boutique hotel so don't expect a buffet spread like those large 5-star hotel chains (not that there's anything wrong with that!). There is a breakfast spread, but on a much smaller scale. Plenty of fresh, local fruit which I loved - kiwi, grapefruit, passionfruit, figs, strawberries - wow. And you have your usual cereal and toast. You can also order eggs and porridge from a menu. I had the most amazing, tasty porridge ever, and I am not even a porridge fan!

And of course, if you love rooibos tea like I do, then you are in heaven.

POD hotel isn't the cheapest, but it makes up for having a great location and top-notch service. And the breakfast! I had a great time there, and I will be sure to return when I am next in Cape Town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed and glowing report about your stay at POD.

As mentioned in your review, our rooms have an open plan bedroom and bathroom layout. This along with the design elements creates a room that people either love or hate and thankfully most guests (including yourself) love it!

Thank you for the praise on the complimentary mini bar, breakfast and most importantly the service that you received from the team.

The basement parking area is a little tricky to navigate and we are always happy to valet park vehicles for guests should they not feel confident squeezing through the narrow access.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camps Bay
Blackheath Lodge
Blackheath Lodge
#3 of 109 in Cape Town Central
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,804 reviews

Been to POD Camps Bay? Share your experiences!