“The Worst Brand Ambassador for Cape Town!! Shame on You!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2014

As a Camps Bay local resident, I feel both ashamed and compelled to advise our guests of our country to STAY AWAY from this absolute rip off of a restaurant.
I ate at a table of 6 people which included my young kids. As I understand the manager likes to check these reviews by camera, we were sitting outside at around 7:30pm. Please check the footage!
We ordered 3 so called house specialties being the Grilled Calamari, one Gnoochi quattro formaggi and one hamburger. The hamburger was tasty and a decent helping. The other 4 meals were nothing short of an embarrassment. For my little 9 year old son to who barely eats a lettuce leaf, says "Dad there is no food on this plate", should say a lot.
As for the calamari, I have no words. For R120 EXCLUDING the rice which is another R22, the size of the portion was exactly that of a starter at any other restaurant in South Africa. The problem with that was, this was supposed to be a MAIN COURSE!
What pains me the most with a restaurant like this, is that they will go out of their way to elevate the prices to try and take advantage of the passing foreign trade. They are so short sighted as it is the locals who are around off season to potentially support them. Little wonder a restaurant like this will be empty during the winter time. When I approached the manager to tell him of the deplorable size portion we just had and for the most astronomical prices, his comments were "sorry but you pay a premium to have the view you have".
Tuscany, you guys have a lot to learn and boy are you going to get a run for your money when Ocean Basket opens up next door! Guess what, they have the same views and their food will be a fraction of your prices and yes the locals will frequent them all year round! Same can be said for Mezepoli - same views and great prices!
You give Camps Bay a bad name! Shame on you!

1  Thank DarrenA_1975
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

I really think your comments and Heading of your Review is extremely unfair and quite over the top especially to a fellow "local " of Camps Bay .
Your complaint seems to be related to the size of the calamari served , 3 mains portions in fact to your table of 6 persons.
The food you did not comment on so i presume that was all to your liking.
I have checked with my manager , the calamari is supposed to be 340gm which we serve as a main course, 170 gms being a starter portion.
This is totally in line with other restaurants.
It is weighed and portioned beforehand , so i cannot understand how on earth you would not be happy , unless you received a starter portion or underweight which i have checked and i am told by my manager was not the case .
Unfortunately ,had it been brought to my attention on the night i would gladly have given you extra on your plates, i was in the kitchen assisting Chef all that night.
The price is R120 as per the menu , we have had this on our menu for 18 years now and this is the first complaint from tourist or local i can remember on size of portion.
Prices I cannot change ,as a Camps Bay resident he should be well aware of property prices and exorbitant rentals that we pay here around R450 /m2 so we are forced to charge a little more than other locations and we do go out of our way to assist locals from May - Sept with our 2 for 1 specials and many groupon deals of 55 % discounts.
If Ocean Basket is your restaurant of choice , thats for you to decide , but i remind you that that they and other franchise operations , like Nandos and Cape Town Fish Market and many more restaurants were all here in Camps Bay before and closed up shop !!

A simple telephone call to me and we could have resolved your complaint , perhaps there was a weight problem i cannot say , but I would certainly have addressed the problem with you and made amends to your satisfaction. It was clear there was no problem with the quality of the food.
If you would like to give me a ring ,I am sure we can make you happy.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Good location with great views onto the beach.
Reasonable choice on menu,.
Food good for the price.
Nothing wrong with the service.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Bad service (almost an hour waiting for pasta & hamburger), bad food, bad atmosphere and above all - EXPENSIVE!!. So many better restaurants in Camp Bay than that one.

1  Thank Guy C
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

You know ,23 years in the business and 18 here at Tuscany , it never fails to amaze me of some peoples perception of how long they actually wait for food after ordering it .

"Service " - All our food is freshly prepared and cooked to order , 35-45 mins for starters and mains to come out of the kitchen after ordering , I feel is quite acceptable . We are just not a "fast food " restaurant , we encourage our patrons to relax and enjoy the views , sunsets and experience with us . I was personally in the kitchen these lasts few nights and neither myself or my managers were aware of any such delay or complaints on delays to food.

"Food "- Again not knowing details of what this guest is actually complaining of , this is very difficult for me to address . Except to say that we check every tables food after arriving to the guest , we gladly replace it if its not up to standard or to the customers liking or offer a refund if thats not satisfactory with them.
We serve hundreds of pastas and burgers a week with no problem.

"Above all Expensive " - Whats expensive when you are dining in a beachfront restaurant here or anywhere in the world , whether its Cape Town , or the French or Italian Rivieras .
Sure there are cheaper places to eat in Cape Town suburbs or the CBD , but when you look at the exorbitant property prices in Camps Bay , particularly the beachfront and the associated rentals that we pay here - up to 4 times what other areas of Cape Town is offering , we have to charge these prices .
R 80- R100 for pastas and R80 - R85 for a burger i do not think is therefore excessive and it is well in line with other restaurants in Camps Bay.
Beautifull beaches , and great views surely seem a small price to pay for just a few rand more.

"Bad Atmosphere " - Thats just not the case - Tuscany prides itself on a Great vibe and atmosphere both day, cocktail hour and evenings alike. So that comment I do not understand .

I would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss and resolve these complaints at the table, without them resorting to such a "BAD " Review , we are in the service industry and do try to ensure our customers have a great experience and leave us happy , serving hundreds of customers a day , we cannot always be 100 % .

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

The menu promised so much more but the food was really just bland. First l, it started with long wait for the food to arrive - 40 min for sushi starters is a bit overboard. secondly, the house special calamari lacked any flavor and was bordering on being cold. The king prawns looked more like queen prawns - probably why I received six instead of five as per the menu. You could probably get better value for money elsewhere.

1  Thank Warlock7
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Hi There
Your review is really welcomed , would like to respond having checked your sushi starter timing comments .
Yes you did wait too long for your sushi starter , my Sushi confirms it was ready and waited for your waiter to collect from the kitchen - he says around 30 mins .She actually ordered 3 portions by mistake so possibly she was looking for the wrong order , when she did realise her error , it was too late , either way a total error on our part and my sincere apologies.
Whether its 30 or 40 mins as you say , both unacceptable and no where near our normal acceptable starter times.
The prawns are kings but they do vary in size slightly from time to time , Chef makes the call in the kitchen and obviously sent 6 and not 5 as our menu states.
The calamari is the best Patagonia Mafrio baby C5 squid that we can buy , it if was a little
bland , may have been under spiced on the grill - my apologies , it is one of our specials we do sell so many a night.
We were very busy last night , I was in the kitchen assisting on the pass , i did have a floor manager on duty checking on tables , i just wish we had been aware of your problem and we would have addressed the situation immediately.
I would like to make full amends for the evening , kindly give me a ring on 021 438 0486
or send us an email with your contact details.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have just returned from a dinner at Tuscany. I am so annoyed to the point I felt it necessary to write this review.
We arrived for our table and were seated within minutes. We waited about 10mins for menus at which point I actually asked somebody for menus. eventually after a further 10mins our waiter arrived and we were asked if we would like drinks. We ordered everything at that stage as we were extremely hungry. We were told that there was only two sizes of lobsters tonight, conveniently the bigger sizes. Our waiter was fine a little bit rude but we just shrugged it off at the time. It took a further nearly 10mins for the drinks to arrive and another 25mins for the starters to arrive which was a garlic bread pizza and a noodle salad. Then our waiter informed us it would be about 30-40 mins for the lobster. It arrived in about 50mins. During which time we were told twice it would only b 5mins when clearly it would not be only 5mins. Portions were tiny. Lobster was expensive and came with no sides at all so we had to order this seperately. My partners plates were cleared from the table before I was even finished. I am in the restaurant business myself for over 10yrs and that is the height of rudeness. We ordered coffees. And asked for the bill. Our bill was 882R and we left 80R tip for very average food and service. We waited 10mins for our change. Our waiter returned to say that he didn't have any more change available so instead of take it from his 80R tip (or find some change) he left us short changed by 6R. Now it's not the point of the money it's 100% on principle. You never ever ever leave a customer short changed. . I am absolutely disgusted. We walked out of the restaurant and will not be returning. This restaurant was supposed to be a highlight of our visit to camps bay. . But This awful experience has left a very bad taste in our mouths.

1  Thank Lails_85
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

As the Owner of Tuscany , I am responding to this review as i am somewhat bewildered in some of the comments , considering as he states " to be in the restaurant game for 10 years " .
I have them on camera, seating on table 14 and being handed menus within 4 minutes , not 10 as he states .
He ordered a 300 gm crayfish , the smallest size on our menu , we had on offer sizes
from 300- 800 gm available , so he was certainly not sold " conveniently the bigger sizes "
Anything below this we consider undersized and illegal.

To say the lobster was expensive , it is clearly marked on our menu at sizes
300g-1kg @ R 90 per 100gms . He paid R270 for the lobster and R65 for a thermidor addition.
He should be well aware of the prices of lobster , our menu price is in well line with other restaurants in Cape Town.
Most restaurants do sell S/Q .without any mention of price on the menu.
Our sides are separately indicated on the menu , again in line with most Camps Bay and Waterfront restaurants.
From the time of his order to the kitchen he received starters well inside 18 minutes and his main course arrived within 48 minutes of his order to the waiter.
Thats a total time of starters and mains all within 50 minutes .
I really have no problem with these times, and consider these quite acceptable ,everything is freshly prepared and cooked and 45-60 minutes in season is my acceptable timing for starters and mains served to a table .
One thing is certain my portions are not small !!
A 300mm focaccia , a hazlenut chicken noodle salad you ordered for starter , that many guests order as a main dish. The crayfish was your selection, a thermidor 300g is normally quite sufficient for the average persons appetite.
Peter my waiter with me for many years , is normally a very quite , extremely well mannered and efficient waiter , removing your plate before your partners plate , i agree is quite unacceptable .
My only answer is that many European customers do ask for the plates to be removed while others are eating , so perhaps he misunderstood your thoughts or just made a genuine
mis judgement.
The R6 short change again i presume it was either a genuine mistake or he just was battling for change .
I really cannot see for the life of me how this waiters tiny misgivings can prompt you to write this sort of review and to annoy you so much to mar your evening with us .
You do not comment on the food so i presume you were happy with that and i was personally was on the floor that night and had no knowledge of your complaint.
Had I known i would really have made an effort to address your complaints.