“Complete rip-off”

TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Don't often write a review on here unless I have a truly terrible experience. Went to Tuscany Beach for a light lunch yesterday and it was absolutely appalling. Ordered a bruschetta at R58. When it came it was four thick slices of cheap white loaf, half toasted, covered in that yellow brown garlic that you get out of a pre-chopped tub. Having scraped that off I was left with a dish with some stewed tomato and onion (less than a tablespoon) and no sign of any basil. Few olives in another dish. It is hard to imagine how such a simple dish can be done so badly... Friend had a pizza which was pretty average and undercooked. Nice location but other than that stay away.

1  Thank ThomasKellerman
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

" A CONCERNED OWNER"
I will comment on this customers actual review but first let me make the following general observation:

I do not normally over the year respond to reviews , most people only publish their bad experiences , they come to a restaurant and "expect " to enjoy their meal and therefore generally do not feel that they need or obligation to publish that fact.
Fortunately we serve many hundreds of satisfied customers each day , it is just not possible to satisfy everyone by the laws of nature , every customer has an interpretation and expectation of a food dish .
Many customers come to Camps Bay and expect to pay the same prices as other restaurants operating in the surrounding suburbs or CBD .
Our prices are related to the excessive rents that we all pay here and my prices are in line with others on the Camps Bay Strip.
With the staggering rate food and fuel prices are rising here in SA , restaurant prices are set to rise much further I fear.

Over the last 18 years here on the strip serving 130,000 plus customers a year and one of the busiest restaurants in Camps Bay , i know we just cannot please everyone , but over this last few weeks there seems a strange and abnormal amount of vicious "Bad Reporting " on us , in an attempt by customers to slam our reputation and directly specifying and promoting in their reviews other competitor and neighboring restaurants here in Camps Bay, mentioning them even by name as "BETTER " alternatives and recommendations to eat here in Camps Bay .

I have no problem with competition but do not believe this is fair and reasonable reporting and we all here at Tuscany view this practise "as extremely odd ".

We are still the same restaurant , owner-run by the same Owners , serving the same food with only the best quality available from the same suppliers -for 18 years , we raised our menu prices by an average of only 7% last year .
I personally welcome genuine criticism but most of these reviews , could easily have been resolved in the restaurant , leaving you happy , surely without the need and endeavor to viciously attack our business.

It is also common practice for some restaurants to get people to publish good reviews on web sites to promote their business , we do not resort to these tactics.

Mr Kellermans review as a "Rip Off " comments on our Bruschetta .

It is not cheap white bread but Italian Ciabatta bread from our suppliers Espresso Bakery which can be verified.
It is toasted and brushed with fresh garlic and olive oil and served separately with a dish of cherry plum tomato and onion , basil ,warm salsa and calamata olives - his comment of "less than a tablespoon " is just not correct.
At R58 - I ask what 3 pounds buys him in UK.
It is not generally served in the normal Italian way with the salsa / toppings on the bread but separately, to ensure the bread does not go soggy .
But if Jamie Oliver can serve it this way , we are happy with our presentation.
The pizza is thin based and i go out of my way to ensure that no pizzas come out of my wood oven unless cooked and crispy , even burnt on the edges .
Why on earth did he accept the food if it was not up to standard or to his liking or
expectation ,eat it , advise my manager that he was happy , if this was not the case .
Please sir , we are here to please and satisfy our customers - whatever it costs me -not to
" rip them off".

Nigel

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Tourists, BEWARE!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
As a Camps Bay local resident, I feel both ashamed and compelled to advise our guests of our country to STAY AWAY from this absolute rip off of a restaurant.
I ate at a table of 6 people which included my young kids. As I understand the manager likes to check these reviews by camera, we were sitting outside at around 7:30pm. Please check the footage!
We ordered 3 so called house specialties being the Grilled Calamari, one Gnoochi quattro formaggi and one hamburger. The hamburger was tasty and a decent helping. The other 4 meals were nothing short of an embarrassment. For my little 9 year old son to who barely eats a lettuce leaf, says "Dad there is no food on this plate", should say a lot.
As for the calamari, I have no words. For R120 EXCLUDING the rice which is another R22, the size of the portion was exactly that of a starter at any other restaurant in South Africa. The problem with that was, this was supposed to be a MAIN COURSE!
What pains me the most with a restaurant like this, is that they will go out of their way to elevate the prices to try and take advantage of the passing foreign trade. They are so short sighted as it is the locals who are around off season to potentially support them. Little wonder a restaurant like this will be empty during the winter time. When I approached the manager to tell him of the deplorable size portion we just had and for the most astronomical prices, his comments were "sorry but you pay a premium to have the view you have".
Tuscany, you guys have a lot to learn and boy are you going to get a run for your money when Ocean Basket opens up next door! Guess what, they have the same views and their food will be a fraction of your prices and yes the locals will frequent them all year round! Same can be said for Mezepoli - same views and great prices!
You give Camps Bay a bad name! Shame on you!

1  Thank DarrenA_1975
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

I really think your comments and Heading of your Review is extremely unfair and quite over the top especially to a fellow "local " of Camps Bay .
Your complaint seems to be related to the size of the calamari served , 3 mains portions in fact to your table of 6 persons.
The food you did not comment on so i presume that was all to your liking.
I have checked with my manager , the calamari is supposed to be 340gm which we serve as a main course, 170 gms being a starter portion.
This is totally in line with other restaurants.
It is weighed and portioned beforehand , so i cannot understand how on earth you would not be happy , unless you received a starter portion or underweight which i have checked and i am told by my manager was not the case .
Unfortunately ,had it been brought to my attention on the night i would gladly have given you extra on your plates, i was in the kitchen assisting Chef all that night.
The price is R120 as per the menu , we have had this on our menu for 18 years now and this is the first complaint from tourist or local i can remember on size of portion.
Prices I cannot change ,as a Camps Bay resident he should be well aware of property prices and exorbitant rentals that we pay here around R450 /m2 so we are forced to charge a little more than other locations and we do go out of our way to assist locals from May - Sept with our 2 for 1 specials and many groupon deals of 55 % discounts.
If Ocean Basket is your restaurant of choice , thats for you to decide , but i remind you that that they and other franchise operations , like Nandos and Cape Town Fish Market and many more restaurants were all here in Camps Bay before and closed up shop !!

A simple telephone call to me and we could have resolved your complaint , perhaps there was a weight problem i cannot say , but I would certainly have addressed the problem with you and made amends to your satisfaction. It was clear there was no problem with the quality of the food.
If you would like to give me a ring ,I am sure we can make you happy.
Nigel

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Good location with great views onto the beach.
Reasonable choice on menu,.
Food good for the price.
Nothing wrong with the service.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Bad service (almost an hour waiting for pasta & hamburger), bad food, bad atmosphere and above all - EXPENSIVE!!. So many better restaurants in Camp Bay than that one.

1  Thank Guy C
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

You know ,23 years in the business and 18 here at Tuscany , it never fails to amaze me of some peoples perception of how long they actually wait for food after ordering it .

"Service " - All our food is freshly prepared and cooked to order , 35-45 mins for starters and mains to come out of the kitchen after ordering , I feel is quite acceptable . We are just not a "fast food " restaurant , we encourage our patrons to relax and enjoy the views , sunsets and experience with us . I was personally in the kitchen these lasts few nights and neither myself or my managers were aware of any such delay or complaints on delays to food.

"Food "- Again not knowing details of what this guest is actually complaining of , this is very difficult for me to address . Except to say that we check every tables food after arriving to the guest , we gladly replace it if its not up to standard or to the customers liking or offer a refund if thats not satisfactory with them.
We serve hundreds of pastas and burgers a week with no problem.

"Above all Expensive " - Whats expensive when you are dining in a beachfront restaurant here or anywhere in the world , whether its Cape Town , or the French or Italian Rivieras .
Sure there are cheaper places to eat in Cape Town suburbs or the CBD , but when you look at the exorbitant property prices in Camps Bay , particularly the beachfront and the associated rentals that we pay here - up to 4 times what other areas of Cape Town is offering , we have to charge these prices .
R 80- R100 for pastas and R80 - R85 for a burger i do not think is therefore excessive and it is well in line with other restaurants in Camps Bay.
Beautifull beaches , and great views surely seem a small price to pay for just a few rand more.

"Bad Atmosphere " - Thats just not the case - Tuscany prides itself on a Great vibe and atmosphere both day, cocktail hour and evenings alike. So that comment I do not understand .

I would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss and resolve these complaints at the table, without them resorting to such a "BAD " Review , we are in the service industry and do try to ensure our customers have a great experience and leave us happy , serving hundreds of customers a day , we cannot always be 100 % .
Owner

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

The menu promised so much more but the food was really just bland. First l, it started with long wait for the food to arrive - 40 min for sushi starters is a bit overboard. secondly, the house special calamari lacked any flavor and was bordering on being cold. The king prawns looked more like queen prawns - probably why I received six instead of five as per the menu. You could probably get better value for money elsewhere.

1  Thank Warlock7
nigel n, Owner at TUSCANY BEACH RESTAURANT, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Hi There
Your review is really welcomed , would like to respond having checked your sushi starter timing comments .
Yes you did wait too long for your sushi starter , my Sushi confirms it was ready and waited for your waiter to collect from the kitchen - he says around 30 mins .She actually ordered 3 portions by mistake so possibly she was looking for the wrong order , when she did realise her error , it was too late , either way a total error on our part and my sincere apologies.
Whether its 30 or 40 mins as you say , both unacceptable and no where near our normal acceptable starter times.
The prawns are kings but they do vary in size slightly from time to time , Chef makes the call in the kitchen and obviously sent 6 and not 5 as our menu states.
The calamari is the best Patagonia Mafrio baby C5 squid that we can buy , it if was a little
bland , may have been under spiced on the grill - my apologies , it is one of our specials we do sell so many a night.
We were very busy last night , I was in the kitchen assisting on the pass , i did have a floor manager on duty checking on tables , i just wish we had been aware of your problem and we would have addressed the situation immediately.
I would like to make full amends for the evening , kindly give me a ring on 021 438 0486
mornings
or send us an email with your contact details.
tuscanyb@mweb.co.za