“Fantastic stay at a fabolous hotel!”
Review of The Bay Hotel

The Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We had a fantstic stay at The Bay Hotel from April 20-26 2014 as part of a 2 week Easter Holiday. We were a family of 9 from the age of 6 (after approval from hotel manager :-) to 75. We had 5 rooms, all to our great satisfaction. We found the the staff extremely serviceminded and friendly that catered to all our needs. Food was great both for breakfast and in the restaurant.
Especially we found Derrick from the transport service very helpful and serviceminded. He drove us to the Cape, to Table Mountain, helped arrange shark cage diving and a rental of an AC Cobra. We used many of the hotel facilities, including the training facilities, spa, pool and tennis and found all to be superb. I celebrated my birthday there and in the evening found the bed nicely decorated with flowers and complimentary chocolate cake and sparkling wine! Very nice indeed. Fantastic hotel and definately the place to stay in Camps Bay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rune J
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Rune J. Thank you for your complimentary review of the hotel. We are delighted to note that you and your family enjoyed your Easter holiday at the hotel, and have shared your wonderful comments with our staff. We sincerely hope that you will be returning to The Bay Hotel on your next visit to Cape Town and assure you of our best attention. Warm regards.

There are newer reviews for The Bay Hotel

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have, as my tripadvisor profile will show, stayed in some of the best hotels in the world. I preface this review with this statement to show comparative ability. I can with confidence say The Bay Hotel Camps Bay is without a doubt the most pathetic excuse for a hotel. Upon arrival it was clear the suite had not been cleaned given the fact the windows to the balcony were filthy. I wouldn't wash my dog in the outside "jacuzzi".
Turndown service doesn't include clearing glasses and drinks in the room, only folding your sheets back (unlike a basic turndown service even in a 3 star hotel).
I asked every day for 3 days for the safe to be fixed and I was ignored.
I asked repeatedly for a converter plug and was told South African Plugs and UK plugs are the same.
I asked for the Financial Times and was told every newspaper has the financial times in it!!!
The service in the hotel is non existent. Both times at breakfast I had to ask repeatedly for my order to be taken, and when the food came it was inedible. None of the staff smile or greet you and when i smile at them there is a heavy sigh of discontent. When I asked for a glass of orange juice I was told where on the buffet to find it.
It says in the breakfast menu the chairman of the hotel visited the best hotels in the world in order to create this breakfast. Lord only knows what dumps he visited along the way.
The shower in the room was blocked every morning from day one and never fixed even though maintenance did take the time to finally fix a leaking toilet which required the room to be aired out (even though the toilet hadn't been used given it was as I came into the room the first time).
The internet is a joke and NEVER works.
The list is sadly endless and when I finally got to speak to Graeme Smith the hotels "GM" his reply was "what do you want me to do about it". I will refrain from being rude about him any further than saying he is not a GM. A GM would not have taken such criticism so lightly and not have brushed it off and ignored it so quickly.
Even the couple in the room next to me had as many complaints as I did. The table next to me at breakfast saw their food and laughed as they couldn't seriously believe they were being served such rubbish.
I reserve bad reviews for only the worst. At least i know I have stayed at the worst and it can only get better from here!
Do yourself a favour and don't shatter the perception of this hotel. See it from the outside as a perfectly located hotel but enter at your own risk!

Room Tip: The best room you could choose would be in another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank SimonLiebel
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear SimonLiebel. It is evident that we failed to meet your expectations in several areas of service delievry during your visit, and for this we offer our humblest apologies. We do, however, believe that during your 3 night stay, we addressed your complaint regarding the jacuzzi and windows immediately, and these issues were efficiently dealt with by our staff. Service levels are extremely important to us, and you can be assured that the issues you raised have been addressed with the relevant staff in order to improve our performance.
For future travelers to The Bay Hotel, we would like to mention that our Suites offer outdoor jacuzzi's located on the balcony, and occasionally through nature's elements are not 100% clean during the day, guests are encouraged to contact our front desk for service in this regard. We also understand that by international standards the internet in South Africa is not as fast, but we have ensured that our guests have the best available by offering a Fibre Optic connection and all internet issues can immediately be resolved by our on-site IT department. While we understand that our apology may not fully compensate you for your disappointing experience, we would again like to assure you that your comments are of the utmost importance to us, and trust that you will, as discussed, return to the hotel later this year, so that you can experience why the hotel was voted one of the top 25 hotels in South Afirca by Tripadvisor. Kind regards.

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

What lovely people . The room is top end with stunning views and amazing facilities . Various bars are interesting , a better draught beer , something local not Castle or Carling , to replace Peroni would be useful . Food is good , the veggie platter in the Bistro very welcome for those seeking a non meat fix . Make sure when you ask for time to restraunts you ask whether its by foot or car so you don't get stung for the hotel car . Its not expensive but its should be a fun option , not a default . The honeymoon preparation for our room whilst out on first evening did the entire hotel proud and made us feel very special .

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Ian P. Thank you for your complimentary review of the hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us. We sincerely hope that you will be returning to The Bay Hotel in the future and look forward to having you as our guests again. Warm regards.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My partner and I arrived at the Bay from the Blue Train - and the luxury continued. The management had upgraded us to a sea view room as we were celebrating a birthday, together with a fruit basket, cake and wine. The room was super - throw open the balcony doors and invite the breath of the Atlantic Ocean to refresh your senses. Breakfasts are served late - to midday at least and the staff - Yolanda in particular - extremely friendly and helpful. The location is so good - plunge pools are fun and if pool side service was a little on the slow side, well, that just meant more time to enjoy the wonderful views. We were booked for 4 nights and then a further 4 at the Radisson, near the V&A Waterfront. In hindsight, we should have stayed the full 8 nights at the Bay - something we will be sure to do next time. We did have a slight problem with Room Service, but Mark, the manager, rectified this the next day by offering a complimentary meal in the Bistro, which was most acceptable.

Room Tip: Our room, 233, was superb with great sea views, 30 seconds from the pool deck and just along the cor...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear laurence_kevin. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments following your Birthday celebration at the hotel. We are truly delighted to hear that you and your partner enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back in the future, hopefully for a longer stay. Warm regards.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here on our honeymoon and had a wonderful time. Returned to our room on the first evening to find scattered rose petals along the floor and bed, a bottle of champagne and a chocolate cake-a lovely touch. Rooms were clean a stylishly decorated. Great views from our room overlooking the pool/sea-amazing sunsets whilst sipping delicious cocktails. I will definitely be recommending this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2014
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear emegriff. Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and are planning to share your experience with your family and friends. We look forward to having you as our guests again in the future and assure you of our best service and personal attention. Warm regards.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We started our South Africa trip with three nights at the Bay hotel. The last time we went there was 15 years ago and we were looking forward to the stay very much indeed....this time with our three children. The hotel is still great but if I'm honest parts of it are looking a little 'tired'....the bathrooms in our two rooms were clearly in need of a refurb.....tiles were cracked, taps well worn etc. but the rooms were still clean and pleasant.
Incidentally we booked 'adjoining rooms' which do not exist in this hotel , which was annoying. So we split the adults and shared with the kids....not the end of the world but worth noting.
The food was good, service a bit slow (but we reminded ourselves this is meant to be a chilled out place), the front desk staff very helpful when planning trips etc and couldn't have been more helpful. The pool area is quite small and 'grown up'. The hotel wasn't so full, so we had some fun in the pool but it's not really a pool for kids to frolic in and splash about. The 'kids' room went down well with out two youngest (9 and 10). My wife tried the spa but left a little disappointed....a 45 minute massage really equates to 30 mins by the time forms have been filled and general faffing about.
The hotel is right in the middle of Camps Bay so close to lots of good restaurants and right opposite a beautiful beach. There's not much to do in Camps Bay aside from the beach and a few decent restaurants but for us, for the start of our trip it was perfect. 15 mins by taxi into the 'Waterfront' area and 10 mins by taxi from Table Mountain, 30 mins from the airport. Getting around by taxi was very cheap and at times we took the hotel cars (Porsche Panameras) which meant paying £12 into town rather than £9 by normal taxi!! Good fun and worth the extra money!
Food is very cheap in SA and our bill when we left was embarrassingly small.
In short, it's a great hotel, a few things that weren't so amazing (bathrooms, massage and service wasn't always fast) but I'd recommend staying there.

Room Tip: There are no adjoining rooms so families need to remember this.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ScottLondon77
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

266MatthewT266. Thank you for posting a review of the hotel and your comments, which we accept as being constructive. Firstly, we are happy to note that your stay with us was enjoyable and satisfactory in most respects, and disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in other areas. All feedback, be it positive or negative, is important to us as it provides us with the opportunity to develop and improve our service delivery. We trust that despite this, we shall again have the privilege of hosting you at the hotel in the future. Warm regards.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have read so many of the reviews about The Bay Hotel I thought its time that I had my say.
I have stayed at the bay 6 times now over past years and all I can say is this place is a rite gem.
I feel so relaxed when I am there. The staff are so helpful, they stretch that extra mile to make your stay more enjoyable.
Until November 26th, seems ages away. See you all then.
Camil get the Tanqueray 10 ready!

Room Tip: Beach front.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
TheBayHotel, Manager at The Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear LMP-Hull. Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us, and for your continued patronage. We are delighted to hear that you enjoy staying at the hotel and look forward to seeing you later this year. Unitl then, warm regards. P.S. Caamil will have the Tanqueray 10 ready.