“great location, great hotel, great stay”

Primi Seacastle Guest House
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We chose this small, lovely hotel upon recommendation from an acquaintance, and could not have been happier. We had a spacious room with seaview, terrace, Jacuzzi and really comfortable bed – also a full, prepared to order breakfast each morning. The staff was kind and helpful always, and made us feel welcome. Wifi was provided as well as a “house p.c.” with fast connection for use by the guests to check their email and even print boarding passes and itineraries. Parking was available for our rental car, and plenty of dining options were only a short stroll away. Especially in the daytime, Camps Bay was a great place to stay, and many were on the beach sunning and catching up on their reading. We liked the close proximity to the “red bus” which takes tourists into the city and further afield (hop on and off with a reasonable fee per day). We would stay here again and will recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Baltomania

Reviewed 10 April 2011

I work for Dialaflight and have stayed in all sorts of high end hotels, but this hotel just about beats any of them. Ifelt compelled to write about it and tell everyone how good this place is.
Location: Perfectly located in Camps Bay, 2 minutes walk from all the bars and restaurants, so you don't get the noise but easily available. Beautiful views from the hotel balconies and the main terrace, of the beach and the mountain range. Within 10 minutes of V & A, Table Mountain, Long Street etc...
Service: Michael is the perfect manager. Gets to know his guests personally, makes sure we have everything we need, nothing is too much trouble. Also, how many hotels do you go to where you can chill out with a few beers on the terrace whilst the sun goes down and chat with the manager like he's an old friend.
Room: Very comfortable bed, one of the best I have slept on. I had room 9, "Classic Room." Very large, separate kitchen/lounge area, very large balcony overlooking Camps Bay. Free Wifi. Couldn't have asked for more.
Contact me with any questions, this is simply a fabulous little gem. Stay here, but don't tell anyone about it...
To Michael and the rest of the staff, thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: classic room upgrade is worth the extra
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Byron_DAF
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights in October, when I was doing my "Tour de RSA" backpacking trip. Primi SeaCastle was my base for near-Cape travels.
I had a bit of trouble getting there as my GPS showed few similar addresses in the area (however, later that GPS proved to be a nightmare). It's a bit outside of city - but with good transportation options (20 minutes by red bus), and it was also quieter which was important for me.
Oh, how glad I am that I came there finally. On arrival I was met by the manager, Michael, who told me about the place, the wherebouts and where-and-how to go for sightseeing. Also gave me a key to rear entrance where I could park my car.
When I entered the room (one with a sea view on 1st floor, worth paying that little bit extra) I was met with flowers. Flowers were everywheve, on the bed, on the bathtub - just overwhelming. I was actually afraid of sitting on the bed, not to disturb the petal pattern :-)
Breakfasts were very good, then I was usually going sightseeing (Cape Point, Camps Bay, Cape Town, Kirstenbosch, the mountains, whole nine yards - one of the most beautiful places I've seen on Earth). In the evenings I was eating in nearby restaurants (lots of choices) and/or drinking wine with super-friendly Michael and his friends. This is how you show Southern hospitality!
If I ever go back to RSA - I'm going to stay in Primi for sure.

Room Tip: get the room with sea view
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank ISmackedTheLion
Reviewed 23 March 2011

This is a small hotel in a superb location with views across Camps Bay, also the twelve apostles at the rear. Being built into a cliff, the layout is very 'up and down', but the Reception, Dining Room and (small) pool are on one level. There is off-street parking at the rear for about six cars. The property was built to a high standard, but is now showing its age and a facelift is due; however the reasonable price (for Camps Bay) reflects the condition. Everything worked OK.

The staff are the best! Michael (the manager) and Liberty (his assistant) couldn't do enough for you. The rooms were always cleaned well, the hot breakfast was generous and served with a smile, and the drinks in the bar were sensibly priced.

Highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank CaptainBob49
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Our second visit to Cape Town saw us staying at the Primi Seacastle again, and we weren't disappointed.

The location is second to none as it's right on the beach only a minute or so safe walking distance (both day and night) to all the bars and restaurants of Camps Bay.

We stayed in a non-seaview room this time which was just as nice as the others, and the terrace has a great sea view anyway. There was plenty of room and a small outside area with a table and chairs.

Michael the manager is a great asset and makes a great effort to get to know all the guests names and have a chat with them.

There is currently building work going on next door which has meant the car park has been reduced in size so it's first come first served. We got a space for 2 out of the 3 nights but the other night we parked on a nearby street which was perfectly safe.

The free internet in the lounge area is a real bonus too.

If we were going back to South Africa a third time we'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank chariot
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Stayed here for six nights at the end of January. I chose this hotel for its beach side location, free wi-fi, and the recent good reviews - I was not disappointed!

This is a small hotel, and the service is very personal. Michael the manager is a wonderful, friendly host, who loves his job. He remembers everyone's name, and really makes a difference by encouraging the guests to socialize in the evenings (but it's not compulsory!) - he even joined us a couple of times when several of us sat out on the pool deck into the early hours of the morning, talking, drinking, and playing silly games.

My room was clean, beautifully decorated, and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was also clean, with a good shower, and plenty of hot water. It was at the back of the hotel, with only a small window (there were no sea view rooms available when I booked), but that did not really matter, because there is plenty of space in the bar and on the pool deck at the front of the hotel, with a spectacular view of the beach and the 12 Apostles. The hotel's pool is very small, but space is at a premium in Camps Bay!

This hotel is about 15 years old, and was originally built to be apartments - as a result some of the non-sea view rooms are in odd location, unusually shaped, and with little natural light - if this bothers you, then you should make sure that you book a sea view room. The wi-fi signal does not reach the rooms at the back of the hotel, so I had to sit in the bar or on the deck to use it. The hotel is a little bit rough around the edges in places, but this did not detract from the overall experience of staying in a great location, with such friendly service.

The beach is directly across the road, and the restaurants and bars strung out along the beach road are all within a ten minute walk. There is limited parking at the rear of the hotel (accessed from Strathmore Lane), but it is not a problem to park on the streets just off the beach road.

The hotel is very secure, the front desk is staffed 24 hours a day, and Michael and his team were charming and helpful at all times - nothing was too much trouble. They were able to help with recommendations for days out, and with recommendations of the best places for dining in Camps Bay.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank majikthise
Reviewed 12 December 2010

My wife and I stayed ast Prim-Seacastle Hotel for 10 days in December 2010. The loctation right on the beach in Camps Bay was perfect. The room was great and the breakfast superb. Mike and the gang went out of their way to help. We would definately recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple