“Checked out after just one night...disgruntled!”
Review of Ocean View House

Ocean View House
Ranked #5 of 54 Camps Bay B&B and Inns
cheshire
“Checked out after just one night...disgruntled!”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I had booked Panorama suite 18 for a 2 night stay for my visit to Camps Bay 27&28/09/12 as part of my visit to Cape Town.I booked it based on the photos made available and the description on the website.
Upon entering the room I knew straight away that it wasn't what I was expecting,particularly with booking a suite and my own experiences of suites in South Africa,and my expectations.

I am aware of the concept of minimalistic,modern etc but the sitting room left so much to be desired.It was cold,soulless and lifeless.The decor was dull and gave the impression of a room barely decorated,with the odd piece of furnishing.The room has an open fire but wasn't set up as such,not like the image on the website.The whole feel of the room was depressing.

I went to reception straight away and asked the lady if there were any other rooms available as I was not happy with my room.Her response was "we are fully booked tonight,and if you are thinking of checking out early from your booking,you will have to pay a cancellation charge".I had not even mentioned checking out at any point in the conversation,and the lady had reacted defensively straight away!After this response I decided that I was going to check out as I wasn't happy with the attitude towards me and the room.

I checked out the following morning,it was the same lady whom checked me out,seated on the desk behind was the manager Katrin,whom just sat at her desk and not at any given point made any contact with me with regards to the issue.What does that say to anyone reading this?!

Ps it turned out that it was well worth paying the cancellation fee due to the fact that I am now staying in Boutique10 on Medburn Street in Camps Bay with fantastic,friendly hosts,stunning rooms&an absolutely breathtaking view!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tomboy96
KatrinLudik, General Manager at Ocean View House, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
I am very thankful for Tomboy to have taken the time to review his experience whilst in Cape Town.
It is unfortunate that he only aired the issues concerning his discontent of the room after check-out.
Although we were fully booked at the time we could have looked at moving Tomboy to a room with different décor – if we just would have known why the room did not meet his expectations at the time.
We had mailed him, prior to booking, an additional 3 photos which together with the website pictures, we believe give an accurate description of the suite. So we are very sad that he had a different impression despite our sincere and best efforts.

The feedback encourages and inspires us to evaluate our services and guest interactions so we can improve on possible blind spots from here onwards

Sincerely
Katrin Ludik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We enjoyed our time at the Ocean View. There was a beautiful view from our room and the breakfast was very good. It is located a little off the main strip of Camps Bay so if you don't have a car, it is recommended that you take a taxi in the evening. As we didn't have a car we used the Red/Blue bus (which was about a 20 minute walk into Camps Bay) for transportation into Cape Town.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This is located right on Viktoria road in Camps bay. It is one of the last premises by the sea before you find yourself framed by the ocean on one side and them mountain on the other. You will need a car to go around as well as in the city for dinner or shopping. There are restaurants within 1 km away from the hotel (but not next door) if you want to go on foot. The hotel offers spacious rooms. Our panorama suite was super comfortable with a beautiful modern bathroom and bedroom with nice views over the atlantic. Have a sit on the veranda and enjoy a fiery sky in sunset.Breakfast was very good and very tasty. What I did not like was that the breakfast area had poor ventilation system and as during the breakfast the chef prepares the hot dishes the place smells frying everywhere. This smell stayed even through the night because we had to pass through the breakfast area to go to our rooms so we experienced the smell every single evening returning at the hotel. For my own taste I found breakfast area quite old-fashioned and not same style as the rest of the hotel. The rooms are so nice and modern and this area of the breakfast looked a bit outdated to me and not really following the style of the rest hotel. We experience two power cuts during the evening in our room and even problem was solved quickly in the morning after waking up we found out that we had no electricity again. It was a problem on our floor so I think the rest rooms had no problem at all. Regardless these little things that didn't affect us in a serious way at all, our time in Ocean View was excellent!

Room Tip: Go for the panorama suites. Very spacious and much more modern than the normal rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank skybluem
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We invaded Ocean View House on a Sunday in April 2012 in pouring rain. Already in the first five moments gave a great feeingl with extremely friendly and helpful staff with Katrine in the lead. Our 6 different rooms are beautiful, large, spacious and lovely decorated with very comfortable beds and offers a stunning ocean view.
The garden a dream of different succolenter with a beautiful waterfall that tried to drown the sound of the ocean, pleasant lawns and nice pool.
We really felt at home. Breakfast is great, laden with fruits and berries with freshly baked croissant and everything one could wish for. In addition to breakfast the house arranged dinner "at home" for our hole big family every evening. Chef Laurencio
de Freitas cooked amazing African dishes with a special children's menu. He is kindness him self, and extremely accommodating.
Our seven days at the Ocean View is completely unforgettable.
Kristina and Gunnar with family from Sweden

Room Tip: The Garden Room suits couples
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kristina k
Oxford
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights at the start of our holiday. We were not disappointed. We had a room seperate from the main building, I think 15. It was lovely, with a glass floor in the bathroom, views from our own terrace that will always stay with us. Wagner and the staff were so helpful , offering advice and helping book tours , restaurants etc.
Breakfast was lovely, freshly cooked on request.
We will definately be coming back as we feel it is somewhere very special with views that will take your breath away.
Ange & Duncan

Room Tip: I did not see all rooms but other guests were very happy. Our room had the glass floor in the bathro...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
KatrinLudik, General Manager at Ocean View House, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear Ange & Duncan,
thank you for the wonderful feedback!
We are looking forward to welcome you back in the new future!
Camps bay Greetings
venice
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 days start of our 3 weeks holiday,the view of sea from our bedroom where fantastic we liked it so much we booked another 4 days end holiday from 12th April to 16th.There was a very nice pool & sun loungers for us to use.The breakfast was very good with a large choice inc fresh fruit.Camps Bay was 20 mins walk away.

Room Tip: pool room 2 has no A/C & room 1 has very small old TV
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
KatrinLudik, General Manager at Ocean View House, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Pinnock,
Thank you for the lovely feedback!
I am pleased to inform you that room 2 ahs an air-conditioner now and the TV in room 1 has been replaced with a flat screen TV!
We honestly do take all guest concerns very seriously and as an opportunity to improve on your next stay!
Hope to see you again!
Best Regards
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Ocean View and the accommodation, food and staff were A1. The pool and gardens are lovely and the staff so helpful. We used the office IT to book the rest of our trip and the staff could not have been more helpful. The breakfast was superb and I could not fault the service. I an Inspector of services in the UK and this place could not be faulted on any level!

Room Tip: I would have no hesitation in recommending the Ocean View - everything was perfect and staff so frie...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
KatrinLudik, General Manager at Ocean View House, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
I am glad all your time and effort of finding accommodation along the Garden route has worked out to the best!!
Hope to see you again sometime!
Best Regards