“The best part of Cape Town”
Review of Ocean View House

Ocean View House
Ranked #4 of 54 Camps Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights. We were met by Sune who was so chirpy and friendly. She showed us around, so friendly and interested. Every time you see her she is busy, busy but always had time to ask how your day is going? The room (no 8) was perfect with private balcony overlooking the sumptuous gardens and further towards the rolling Atlantic below. The breakfasts were gastronomical.......every fruit imaginable and a freshly cooked breakfast upon your order straight from the chef's hotplate. The service was impeccable. Reception staff were proactive, helpful and friendly. The mini bar was well stocked. Our room was kept spotless by the lovely cleaner. The restaurants in Camps Bay (a kilometre walk away but taxi back if it is dark!!) are varied and mostly serving excellent food and wine. Would love to come back another time.

Room Tip: Room 8 is perfect!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 October 2012

I booked Ocean View Guest House for my parents for 4 days in early October. They absolutely loved their stay and commented on the view and beautiful gardens they awoke to each day. Not only were the staff friendly and helpful but they upgraded my parents to a nicer room free of charge!!! The chef was outstanding and extremely friendly. A very wonderful stay and from what I've heard my parents highly recommend Ocean View!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights at the end of a 2 week trip to South Africa and it was a perfect place to wind down a little. All the staff were friendly and very helpful; from the people on the reception, the lovely housekeeper with a big smile (and chocolates!), the gardener, the chef - all so welcoming. Katrin welcomed us, gave us a tour, booked a Robben Island trip for us and generally answered all our daft questions.
Our room was spacious, modern and well equipped. We loved the balcony, afternoon sun and the views, although we could have done without the wind! Camps Bay is a great location - close enough to Cape Town to drive in easily and quickly (the coast road is the best), taxi to V&A is only R100 and it is an easy drive towards the Cape peninsula. Plenty to do in this area. Would highly recommend this as a place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We and our friends had 4 different rooms here. All of them decorated differently. I think the naming of the rooms is a bit confusing, because even though the rooms are called suites, not all of them are. The garden suite is very comfortable, and spacious. Suite 17 has a large bathroom and a nice size room with a beautiful balcony over looking the ocean. Our friends were not crazy about their suite in the main building, but I think it would work for a family.
Breakfasts were wonderful, with everyone who worked there kind and helpful.
The desk staff were accommodating with answering all our questions and with directions.
If you are planning on taking a lot of road trips, and not being only in Cape Town, then this is a great place for you. It is a 10 minute nice walk to Camps Bay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in late September prior to heading off down the garden route. We didn't arrive til after 9.00pm and were quickly shown to our room. The next morning at breakfast we were told that we would have to change rooms that night. After breakfast I approached the staff in the office to find out the reason for the switch and the girls promptly juggled things around so that we didn't have to move. No fuss and done with a smile.
The view from our room was fabulous overlooking the ocean. Heaps of whales to be spotted from the balcony. Breakfast was great. The staff were all friendly and helpful.
The house is a little bit out of Camps Bay but that suited us fine. It was only an easy 20 min (approx.)walk into the Bay. We really enjoyed our stay here and used the hoho bus to get around Capetown until we hired a car. A few of the paving tiles on the steps could do with a bit of maintenance but apart from that I would highly recommend OVH to anyone looking for accommodation in Camps Bay.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I had booked Panorama suite 18 for a 2 night stay for my visit to Camps Bay 27&28/09/12 as part of my visit to Cape Town.I booked it based on the photos made available and the description on the website.
Upon entering the room I knew straight away that it wasn't what I was expecting,particularly with booking a suite and my own experiences of suites in South Africa,and my expectations.

I am aware of the concept of minimalistic,modern etc but the sitting room left so much to be desired.It was cold,soulless and lifeless.The decor was dull and gave the impression of a room barely decorated,with the odd piece of furnishing.The room has an open fire but wasn't set up as such,not like the image on the website.The whole feel of the room was depressing.

I went to reception straight away and asked the lady if there were any other rooms available as I was not happy with my room.Her response was "we are fully booked tonight,and if you are thinking of checking out early from your booking,you will have to pay a cancellation charge".I had not even mentioned checking out at any point in the conversation,and the lady had reacted defensively straight away!After this response I decided that I was going to check out as I wasn't happy with the attitude towards me and the room.

I checked out the following morning,it was the same lady whom checked me out,seated on the desk behind was the manager Katrin,whom just sat at her desk and not at any given point made any contact with me with regards to the issue.What does that say to anyone reading this?!

Ps it turned out that it was well worth paying the cancellation fee due to the fact that I am now staying in Boutique10 on Medburn Street in Camps Bay with fantastic,friendly hosts,stunning rooms&an absolutely breathtaking view!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tomboy96
KatrinLudik, General Manager at Ocean View House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

I am very thankful for Tomboy to have taken the time to review his experience whilst in Cape Town.
It is unfortunate that he only aired the issues concerning his discontent of the room after check-out.
Although we were fully booked at the time we could have looked at moving Tomboy to a room with different décor – if we just would have known why the room did not meet his expectations at the time.
We had mailed him, prior to booking, an additional 3 photos which together with the website pictures, we believe give an accurate description of the suite. So we are very sad that he had a different impression despite our sincere and best efforts.

The feedback encourages and inspires us to evaluate our services and guest interactions so we can improve on possible blind spots from here onwards

Sincerely
Katrin Ludik

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We enjoyed our time at the Ocean View. There was a beautiful view from our room and the breakfast was very good. It is located a little off the main strip of Camps Bay so if you don't have a car, it is recommended that you take a taxi in the evening. As we didn't have a car we used the Red/Blue bus (which was about a 20 minute walk into Camps Bay) for transportation into Cape Town.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family