“Beware”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
london, england
“Beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

It was my husband's birthday. We had theatre tickets in Camps Bay and hit traffic on the way that made our time for dinner very short. We made for the first restaurant, Madeira Cafe. My husband had the lamb chops. He asked for 'pink'. They were barely cooked at all and SO much fat. The chips had been frozen and not cooked enough either so they were soggy. I played safer with a salad. When we complained about the meat they were so arrogant. They had a regular clientele, so they said, who returned time and time again. No apology for ineptly cooked food. They did not know we were short of time, we did not tell them we were in a rush. No excuses. They were not professional at all.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank dabby44

Camps Bay, South Africa
“Atrocious”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

If you are in any way in need of a nibble in our beautiful Camps Bay, I, as a local, who grew up on the slopes of the Twelve Apostles would recommend avoiding the restaurants, except one or two. Most of them toward the Pick 'N Pay side of the beach offer atrocious food at laughable prices, but I have never been compelled to actually scathe them on such a site as tripadvisor, until I decided I needed a break from the office, and tried Madeira, as it has just taken over what I thought was the worst of the worst, bottom of the barrel Cafe Sophia. I must say, I am impressed. They managed to blow Cafe Sophia's reputation as the worst restaurant in Camps Bay out of the water (a list which holds some already horrendous establishments).

Walk in asking for the newspaper on a Tuesday, I get ushered to a well laid out table, and seated in an incredibly comfy seat, with my requested paper joining me - great. So I order a sparkling water, and pick up the paper, it's a the business section of the Sunday Times (two days old). I again ask for todays paper, and get handed the previous Thursdays Cape Times. At this point I can see where my dining experience is going. After a little commotion I get told that they do not have todays paper (note, Madeira is situated above Pick 'n Pay - South Africa's leading retailer).

So, I order my meal. Chef's sandwich on rye with a side salad, instead of chips. Quite steep, but I have paid more for a sandwich at R69.00 (roughly USD$7). Which as far as I can remember on the menu had black forest ham, spiced chicken and salami - great, easy enough. I get handed two pieces of mass produced rye bread (sourced from the retailer downstairs), in the EXACT middle of the two slices, I find a mound of pre-grated cheddar, some chicken, 'sandwich ham' diced and a few diced pieces of salami. This concoction of glorified off-cuts is balanced on a massive slice of tomato, the function of which I can only assume is as a filler. To add insult to injury, apparently when asked if I would like a side salad or chips, he was just making polite conversation, as lone behold, accompanying this abortion of a sandwich were some oily, limp freezer chips.

On top of all of this, the music consisted of one song, menacingly put on repeat. The song, erratically sung by some nondescript group of voices in some post rock sudoevangelical modernistic style whilst all of them were attached to car batteries. Pleasant is not a word that immediately springs to mind.

Needless to say, avoid. Avoid at all costs.

After complaining to a passing member of staff (I think the chef!?!), my sandwich was deducted from my bill and left with R20.00 for a small sparkling water, I gave a R10.00 tip (50%) as it was quite clear that my waiter was doing his absolute best, and he unfortunately had a severe lack of training. I appreciate that. Plus he got the sparkling water right.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Chickenbadger
england
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This restaurant was above the supermarket so you do have a bit of a view over Camps Bay but through trees. The waitress was receiving training and the person who was either manageress or owner seemed unfamiliar with the till so perhaps new or new ownership. We had to confirm the order three or four times and until the bill came we weren't clear if the ordered chips were included in the meal cost or not. A few chips were included but unlike most South African restaurants quantities were on the mean side. No napkins of any kind, not even paper.

The food appears to be cooked to order - at least you have to wait for it. The prices are slightly above average and the quality definitely not memorable. Nothing wrong with it but nothing great either. Pasta definitely al dente. Vegetables (ordered as an extra) perhaps the best cooked part of the meal.

Disappointing and poor value.

• Visited September 2013
london
“Good little lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We had a quick lunch here on the little terrace and it was very nice and good prompt service. Recommended

Visited September 2013
1 Thank sammyg901
Bakersfield, California
“Friendliest place in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

This place is new and only open a month or so. The location is upstairs from the main strip but still has a good view of the beach and ocean. The food is very good but what makes this place is its people. Sammy 1 and Sammy 2 own the place and three of their outstanding employees are Michael our waiter... Very knowledgeable about the menu and the area. He was so polite and good to us I wanted to adopt him and bring him home. Elliott is the bar tender and will bend over backwards to make sure you have the proper drink and encourages you to try new things. He will keep you laughing while still carying out his duties. Then there is the hostess Ms B. She is always looking to get you the best table available and make you feel welcome when you arrive. I would definitely recommend this place. They found out it was my wife's birthday the next day and invited us back for a drink. When when we arrived they had a small cake for her and they all sang happy birthday. This meant a lot to my wife as we had to travel to Africa on short notice and I had no time to plan for her birthday. Tell them Greg and Colleen said hello.

Visited September 2013