“Warning! The worst ever!”
Review of Madeira Restaurant - MOVED

Madeira Restaurant
Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
Cape Town, South Africa
“Warning! The worst ever!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We took a friend out for supper and impulsively decided to dine at Madeira Cafe, first choice of wine not available, second choice warm white wine, no solution offered, first choice of meal not available, second choice neither, when we approached management, we found no management, no chef, no qualified people, no appologies, no solutions, we took our warm wine, paid, left with having any food eaten, after 80 Minutes of having our time wasted.
I do not dare imagine what the food would have been like...after having read reviews.
We expect Cafe Madeira shutting down during the next 4 month, its impossible to survive the CT winter season without tourists, we locals are finished with them.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Vero F

Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We survived (only just) to tell the story”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The food was really, really bad! We used a Groupon voucher for a seafood platter for two (but in reality only enough for one) and desert. I'm sure crayfish that size is illegal to catch - it was smaller than a prawn. The line fish was old: fishy and tough, and everything was covered in a very dark red garlic sauce. Garlic from a tub - yuk! The desert, ice-cream and chocolate sauce, was so bad that I reached for the Clorets chewing gum to get rid of the bad taste. The wine was really good - but wait! we brought it ourselves... This place appears to be going down the tubes - it was empty apart from us and another couple.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank MaznAlfs
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Okay inside, shabby and dirty outside”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

First of all I think the steak espetada and rump steak meals we ordered were good. They were cooked the way we instructed and juicy. Portion was ample. Service was all right. We came early when there were ony a few tables occupied so we had the full attention of our waiter. I wonder how the other patrons fared as we left and more people came in. It was the end of the month and a Friday. A decent Camps Bay restaurant should be reasonably packed. Not this one. The access to the restaurant was shabby and dirty! Bad first impression. Pity because the ambience inside the restaurant was fairly good. I wonder if the owner can do something about it? The restaurant needs a thorough cleaning. I pointed out to the waiter the bird droppings on outside glass panes, obstructing the otherwise beautiful Camps Bay sunset. Who wants to see caked bird droppings while enjoying a candlelit dinner? If the owner or manager does not care much about the restaurant, it will just go downhill. Would not stand a chance, considering the number of restaurant choices patrons have in that strip of road.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Evee v
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Biggest Disappointment of my trip!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This has to be possibly the worst experience of my 2 week stay in Cape Town! Ordered a Seafood platter for 2 which was absolutely shocking! there was not a single thing i would eat off it! Dirty Oil, the crayfish was appalling and my better half wasn't even full after finishing the platter for 2 by himself... one tiny piece of defrosted hake, 5 pieces of cold calamari, 3 muscles and a crayfish tail neither of us would even taste! I had booked 3 nights in advance and took my love there for a romantic dinner! it was SHoCKING! they will never see me there again!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Lindimae-T
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WHAT A RIP OFF!!!! WASTE OF MONEY”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I visited the lovely city of Cape Town in May 2014. We purchased a groupon voucher in advance and was terribly disappointed with the food and restaurant. The restaurant was not very clean, the owner was shouting our waiter in plain view of everyone. Worst of all the platter consisted of a lobster tail of aprox 8cm, FOUR prawns, a big bowl of FOUR mussels, a handful of calamari rings, the most tiniest portion of chips, rice and salad. This platter wasn't even enough for ONE person and I find it very hard to believe that the normal menu price is R500.00. The desserts was two bowls of ice cream drizzled with a sauce and two pieces of apple. Pathetic waste of money! Please be warned especially when buying via groupon as the level of quality and quantity is horrendous.

• Visited May 2014