“Five Stars is not enough......”

Camps Bay Ridge Guest House
Ranked #26 of 54 Camps Bay B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Five Stars is not enough......”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

The WIFI network at CBR is named 'Paradise' for good reason. CBR guesthouse is indeed a piece of paradise.

I've been staying here for nearly 5 years. Joerg, is the consummate host. With each passing year, small and large improvements continue to surprise and delight returning guests; a palapa one year, another small pool for the koi fish, a flowering bush in the garden, a wellness nook (where guests facing downward during the course of a massage look straight ahead to an aquarium-serious!) the next.

Joerg's co-worker, the lovely Andrea, is a co-host par excellence.

I've run out of superlatives, book your next holiday at CBR and do so quickly, the demand for this Paradise far exceeds that of the biblical one, I reckon;)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed 29 October 2012

This is the first time I am hesitating about the review, just for one selfish reason. Namely, my sister said, if you write as it is, it is always gonna be full and we will not be able to book it again :)
I was traveling to South Africa with my sister and after spending a week in Sun City, we came to Camps Bay, a fancy suburb of Cape Town. The house is located on the hill with the most amazing view of the ocean. The sunsets from the house are spectacular. One day we went to the beach to watch the sunset, but you just cannot compare the two experiences. Since we booked it rather late, we had to change rooms, which at the end turned to be another nice experience. From both rooms the first thing you see from the bed is the ocean. The house is just beautiful, all white with a touch of pink, and blue (Joerg just started paining some walls in blue). Rooms are white and full of light, with the most comfortable beds and linen, and a flower on each pillow every day. Outside terraces could be very dangerous since they are so tempting to do nothing and just chill out. One day our tour was cancelled, and usually under normal circumstances I would get upset and find that day ruined, but not here. In a way I was relieved and just enjoyed couple of hours at the garden. Oh, yes, the garden - white terraces are well blended with lovely green grass and colorful flowers, cactuses and trees.
The host, Joerg is a separate story. I guess his hospitality is not something taught at schools for tourism or hospitality management. He is very laid back, but highly professional and does not take chances with anything when it comes to making your stay memorable. Before we came he advised us not to book any activities in advance, since much depends on weather. He helped us arrange our stay. Organized a taxi driver for us who took us to Cape Point and vineyards the other day. He kind of helped us decide to do white shark cage diving, lifetime experience. He is very proficient in crises management. When they cancelled our tour one day, he pulled together his contacts and arranged for us a lovely afternoon. When we changed rooms, the previous guests took the key with them and we ended up with the wrong one, which we only realized when we came home. We called him and he promptly arrived home to save us from being homeless in Cape Town.He shares breakfast with guests, and has always funny stories to tell. after just a day you start feeling like at home.
Breakfast, wherever served, is always with the ocean view and it is delicious, with fresh fruits, fresh juices and wide selection of other goodies.
The house has a massage room and I strongly suggest massage. Mok did me massage and made a miracle with my problematic back and neck. After 13 hours of flying back home I still feel like having a new neck. The massage room is also full of surprising details just like the whole house.
I warmly recommend Camps Bay Ridge and I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask Joerg for tips on where to eat and what to do
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LejlaH
Sydney
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon late last year. As it was our honeymoon, I spent a lot of time researching various options in Camps Bay and we were not disappointed with our choice. The owner, Joerg, went above and beyond to make our stay memorable, even before we had booked! Before we arrived, on learning it was our honeymoon, he actually asked some other guests if they minded switching rooms so we could have the loft room. He made us feel so welcome and was wonderful in giving us restaurant recommendations and travel tips. We also had a family issue happen back at home whilst we were away and he was so understanding and considerate about it - going above and beyond to make sure everything was OK.

The accommodation was spectacular - we have stayed in many hotels all over the world but this place is really special. Small, unique, beautifully designed and very personal. Joerg's customer service gives this place that extra special touch. He is an interesting and laid back character - obviously in his element as host.

Breakfasts were amazing and HUGE - so fresh and beautifully presented and so many delicious things to choose from and we were so full we had to have really late lunches as we weren't hungry! Even the morning we checked out, we had to get up very early so didn't expect breakfast, but our hosts were up at the crack of dawn to cook us a full breakfast and see us off - amazing!

Beds were comfortable with quality linens and all the special touches you would expect from a top notch hotel. The view from our balcony was beautiful and the sunsets amazing.

We had dinner at The Roundhouse one night, on Joerg's recommendation, and the food here was absolutely amazing. Joerg made the booking for us and must have told them it was our honeymoon, as they had prepared a personalised menu for us with special touches like a congratulatory message on our desserts.

The accommodation is set back from the beach, which is around 20 minutes walk downhill. We walked down and back up a couple of times - the walk up is a lot harder but we enjoyed it. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great whilst we were there, but in good weather, lazing by the gorgeous pool area would have been amazing. The gardens and all outdoor areas are just beautiful.

We loved Capetown and Camps Bay in general and would love to return. When we do, we will be staying at Camps Bay Ridge yet again. Thank you Joerg for allowing us to stay in your amazing home and making the experience such a special and memorable one.

Room Tip: Loft room was amazing but I imagine all of the sea-facing rooms at Camps Bay Ridge would be outstand...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We spent 8 nights here at the beginning of April. It's great. We had the loft room which we loved. The views from the balcony are stunning. Wonderful breakfasts. The star of the show is Andrea who makes every gust feel like a member of the family. She is so brilliant. A must is a massage from Andries!! Relaxed, low key, secure and just classy.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Newbury UK
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stop right now and book; you need not search any futher if you want to stay in Camps Bay and are not looking for overpriced high end luxury, you will not be dissapointed.
My wife and I stayed here on our last night of our Cape Town vacation. The place is absolutely stunning inside and out. CBR is set in a very quiet, desireable and safe location in Camps Bay with beautiful gardens, magnificent sea views over Camps Bay with an unbelievable backdrop of Table Mountain, the Twelve Apostles and Lion's Head. The outside spaces are fantastic and well designed with a stunning Bali gated entrance, interior koi water gardens, a beautiful wood and thatched covered rest area /breakfast courtyard. There is plenty of poolside seating/reliners and a built in lounge bed area with screening linen drapes plus of course the huge infinity pool. Wow Factor, pictures just do not do it justice. This is the place to come if you want to relax, soak up the sun and chill out. It would make the perfect Honeymoon location or simply for those wishing for a quality restful place in the SA sun.
The rooms are large and quirky. Not high end Italian Designer chic but very homely with rustic/arty touches (No a/c but do have quiet ceiling fans so not really a problem). We had a large room with a seperate large balcony and a lovely bathroom with sea views. The best part - meeting Joerg (German owner) and local resident Andrea who oversees the day to day operations, l Ioved their attentive, humerous and laid back and helpful attititudes - a breath of fresh air. I had to drop my wife off early morning to catch the UK flight back home whilst I stayed on for work. Joerg kindly let me stay the whole afternoon after I got back at 7.30am from the airport. I had a delicious informal breakfast in the covered courtyard and then chilled out reading my book in the solo swing seat. Pricewise Camps Bay Ridge is also a steal compared to other Camps Bay guest houses. I just wish we/I had booked for more than one night.

Room Tip: Book early - speak to Joerg to get what you want.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank philhollowayinuk
edinburgh
Reviewed 8 January 2012

There are not many places i would go back to but this was our second trip to Camps Bay, the 1st time we stayed at Atlantic View and if you read my review you can see we loved it there, it really was special.

We'll we decided as it wasn't our honeymoon this time to go for a slightly cheaper option and chose RidgeView Guest House.

Well all i can say is it is one of the only places i will definitely be returning to!! We stayed in the corner room and it had the best view of all the rooms, we had a little peek at them all! I must say tho i would not of been unhappy with any of the rooms. The room has a fully incased glass bathroom so you can shower whilst watching the ocean (if you are shy there are blinds you can pull down) It is a very peaceful room and we slept like babies in the comfy bed. When we checked out and the next guests arrived i felt so sad as i felt so at home it felt like my room after only 4 days!

Joerg is such a good host if you prefer things to be more casual, he is happy to help in booking things (taxi's, restaurants, excursions etc) and loads of helpful advice but don't expect him to be there for your beck and call. He is hilarious and we enjoyed a few drinks in the evening with him, he is hands down the nicest person we have ever stayed with!

Breakfast does not start till 9am and finishes at 11am and is a social affair with one big table. I loved the more relaxed approach and later times. Check out was at 12pm and you can chill by the beautiful pool if you have a later flight, there is a small shower that we used at the end of the day to freshen up.

We walked down to the waterfront and it took 10-15 mins, its all down hill, but get a taxi back!! The restaurants down the waterfront are ok and we heard The roundhouse, which is very close by, was really good altho we did not go. If you are a bit of a foodie like us then try The Test kitchen, we had the 11 course tasting menu and it was stunning. You must book at least 2-3 months in advance for the top restaurants in high season. I had La Colombe booked also and would 100% recommend both.

I took a few pics if my review hasn't convinced you then may be the pictures will.

Room Tip: I looked at them all. Our room for me was the best views and i preferred it slightly to the honeymoo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 December 2011

WOW!!!! My husband and I spent a few nights at Camps Bay Ridge late November while on our honeymoon and I can't speak highly enough about this place. The decor and landscaping is sooooo pretty!!! The views of the Twelve Apostles and Camps Bay beach our out of this world!! Joerg is SUCH A DELIGHTFUL host. He was so friendly in all of our email exchanges prior to our arrival and he really looked out for us the whole time we stayed at Camps Bay Ridge whether it was arranging taxis to take us to dinner, providing driving directions, suggesting places to dine or even set up a shark diving excursion for us (his shark diving excursion recommendation was awesome!!!). Andrea was also so lovely and made us the most delicious breakfast each morning. Joerg made sure we had a celebratory bottle of champagne in our room in honor of our honeymoon! We really felt like locals- Joerg made us feel so welcome. Oh and I must add that the beds in this place were like heaven!!! I don't know that I've ever slept better in my life. I need to ask him where he buys his duvets- I felt like I was sleeping in a cloud!!!
We really really really lucked out picking this place. Don't waste another minute thinking about it and book a stay here- you won't regret it!!! My husband and I will definitely be back on our next trip to Cape Town. THANK YOU CAMPS BAY RIDGE!!!

Room Tip: We had the Corner view room with a fabulous balcony
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple