“Disappointing”

US$72.10*
and up
Cape Town City Pass including Two Oceans Aquarium and District Six Museum
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

The curation of this small museum lets it down. We were given too little information about the pieces (eg dates). The pieces were too crowded together in each cabinet. We felt like we were looking at a random selection of pieces with no context. Perhaps we would have known more if we had paid for the audio guide (35 rand).

The "short film" about the history of gold in different parts of the world contains long sections about the history of gold in many parts of the world. The greedy nature of European powers prevails here and, although the film is interesting, some sections are of no relevance to Africa (the story of gold in South America, for example). The workshop, although open, had no one working it when we visited (about 4pm).

It is, however, cheap, central, short and has a cute lion in its own little room.

1  Thank James T

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Tis is a small museum which tries to show the use of gold in SA's history. It does a just OK job of it. Like the title of my review says, I have seen better. Maybe I am just jaded, but I was hoping for more.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

In just one place ...
Very nice gold history and huge contrasts of richness and poor people.

If you have lucky you can drink something on the bar.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

If you take the city hop on/hop off bus, DO hop off at the Gold of Africa Museum. Firstly because it helps you understand the tribal histories & conflicts in Africa. But also because they have the MOST AMAZING mural around the walls of one whole room that map the evolution of man through time, with all sorts of Timelines: evolutionary, Christian, Islam, egyptian, etc, all on their own lines, but at the same time. A brilliant way to absorb the World's History in one image. You can also buy the book of it.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

I am working in a Guest House, and had adverts from the Museum. As my guest wanted to visit Cape Town, I put together a few suggestions for them. They were very impressed with the Restaurant, the group included a 78 yr old german Lady, which was invited to do the Drum Session. She did not quiet get the Rhythm, then the instructor sat next to her, and suddenly she caught on. An Experience she wrote to me about, month after returning home. The Food and Service were also excellent as they reported. - This is a review from one of my guests

1  Thank Inge T