“Excellent value for money & very central”

Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre
Ranked #47 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here for five nights. Rooms are a very good size and very comfortable.

The hotel is excellent value for money and includes a buffet breakfast and is very central.

Near hop on hope off bus.

Walkable to Waterfront.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear HolidayGuruUK
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel. I was glad to read that you found our hotel to be excellent value for money. Our central location is one of the reasons why our guests favour our hotel
I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Thanks and Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayyed for 4 nights during December 2013 - We never had toilet paper or towels without calling down several times for them to be replenished. This occurred on three separate occasions and in both our room and our daughter's rooms - on different floors serviced by different staff - so there is no excuse that it was just an oversight in one room!
Our room was not serviced on all four days we were checked in - we had to call down and demanded room was serviced before anything was done- Their excuse was they did not have the linen and towels available to do a change over as they were outsourcing their laundry function to an outside service provider and the OWNERS have not ensure that they have as a basic minimum standard a change of linen for all rooms- One night we only received towels at 21h00!! ( This is totally unacceptable!)
My advice - Avoid this hotel at peak holiday times as they lack sufficient towels/ sheets/ toilet paper and even seats in the dining room to accommodate you during the breakfast session. Furthermore the HOT FOOD IS DISGUSTING - Every day of our 5 day stay - we were served sloshy scrambled eggs floating in water/ baked beans every day - and then some pale sausage type monstrosity one guest referred to it as "reconstituted cat food"! when this was changed on Day 3 to beef sausage there was more gristle than meat - cheap and NASTY! Personally I cannot understand how they won a Trip adviser prize in 2013! The entire format of the breakfast area is such that there is a permanent GRIDLOCK at the coffee machine and toaster that causes frustration and rage by many guests - In my opinion entirely justified rage. It is time the UK owners of this SA hotel reviewed the entire layout of the dining area and did something to ensure customer satisfaction from beginning to end. The appointed South African Staff try so hard to apologize on a daily basis for situations that are BEYOND their control - THE UK OWNERS must take OWNERSHIP of this UNPLEASANT SITUATION or leave our sunny shore - as your failure to honour your guests is damaging our PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN BRAND> I felt ripped off - R10 000 is not small change in any currency ( for a mere 4 nights) and I feel that Holiday Inn Express owners shortsightedness failed my family and I in EVERY REGARD! SHAME on you HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS! I require a full refund of the costs incurred as I did not get what was advertized - I got a 3rd rate experience in a 1st world city. We will not be back any time soon! :( BRAND credibility is seriously tainted by UK owners limiting funds to fix the PROBLEMS! Wifi services are very slow!
I would love to give the staff a 5 star rating for trying so hard to please, but the UK owners a -10 rating!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel in this general area - as the location was great - just the hotel's lack...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Margot080
Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and I apologise for any inconvenience you have experienced due to the poor housekeeping service and busy breakfast area. As both myself and my assistant general manager have previously explained to you we experienced unusually high volumes of guests this season and we were unfortunately affected by the breakdown experienced by our outsourced linen cleaning company as the turnaround time for our linen was severely delayed.

Your feedback will be used as training for the relevant department and individuals, as it enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. My team and I strive to provide guests with the best possible facilities and service. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

As we have also been in contact directly via email should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I satyed in his hotel for a week and found it one of the best hotels. All the rooms are very clean and the front dest staff is very very helpful. They are also arranging different tours like safari and other tours as well.Its location is also good and there are too many shops down the hotel for shopping. I would prefer it to those who want to enjoy their stay in a hotel where they can enjoy their stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Zubair K
Thank you for your review of our hotel recently. I was pleased to read that overall you found our hotel to your satisfaction and thank you for your great comments regarding our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night on business in December. The hotel entrance is not on a street but on a pedestrian walkway that is a market by day. There is a small sin ghost or lane drive way to the hotel parking and also where taxis drop off and pick up. Both check in and out was quite quick. The room was spacious and I had free will Wi-Fi. Due to a late flight I left bags in storage, the porter did not show up and after 10 minutes wait I ended up getting my bags from the store myself. Great location and value.

• Stayed: December 2013
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear jbdiggerman
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I was pleased to learn that you were satisfied with our service overall. My sincere apologies for the delay in getting your luggage from our storeroom, we don't have porters in the hotel and therefore utilise our maintenance team. Your comments regarding our hotel and location are most gratifying to note.
We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I was pleasantly surprised. Location is great. Walking distance to bars restaurants and coffee shops. Curio markets surrounding the hotel.
My room , despite the upgrade, was on the tiny side. Clean. New . Well maintained.
Breakfast is complementary. Doppio Zero diagonally across the hotel is a much better choice.
If you come with a car , use the hotel valet service. At R50 a day it's a good solution. Just be aware that the parking lot cannot accommodate SUV's or 4x4 .

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear 1stAccidentalTourist
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I was pleased to note that you found our location convenient and our hotel clean and well maintained.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Eventually found the hotel after arriving in the City Centre on the MyCiti bus from the airport.

It is walkable from the civic centre but plays havoc with the wheels on your suitcase!

Check-in was efficient even though the hotel was very busy with a coach load of people just having arrived. We had asked for a room on a high floor with a view towards Table Mountain when we made the reservation. The hotel achieved the high floor but not the mountain view.

The room was very clean and comfortable and larger than we expected.

Breakfast offered a very good choice and although it was busy we always managed to find seating without any bother.

The hotel is central and about a 20 minute walk to the V & A waterfront.

There is parking next to the hotel and we had pre-walked the route from the car hire company to make the drive easier as the hotel is in a shopping mall.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sturmey
Many thanks for your very complimentary review of our hotel. Location is the most important factor for most people and I am pleased that we fill those criteria for you in your travels. Our team aim to ensure that all our guests enjoy a comfortable and memorable stay and I was pleased to read that we had fulfilled this aim.
My apologies for not being able to provide you with a mountain facing room, unfortunately when we are running extremely high occupancies it is difficult to assist everyone with their requested rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I must be staying in a different hotel to those giving bad reviews...

I have now stayed here 15 nights over the last year and always enjoy my stay.

It is a great location - in the City Bowl... though make sure you get the Hotel location correct in your satnav as there are many one way streets in the area.

The hotel is comfortable, service excellent and while the rooms are relatively small they are still excellent value for money.

Since my last visit the Wireless/Internet allowance has been upped to 100mB per device - with the allowance renewed at midnight...

Also the parking below the hotel is now Valet Parking... a big improvement on last year.

All in all an excellent stay for less than $100 a night including free breakfast...

If only all Holiday Inns were this good, I would use the chain more often... All staff are superb - from front desk to porters/valets...

Thank you...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear PatrickJones
Many thanks for your wonderful review of our hotel. I was pleased to learn that we are able to meet your requirements over several stays. Our team is empowered to ensure guest satisfaction and provide a seamless and enjoyable stay for all of our guests.

Our Internet offering was increased to 100mb per device per day, with the launch of IHG® Rewards Club in 2013, IHG was the first hotel group to offer free internet, globally, to all loyalty members (starting with Elite in July 2013 and extending to all members in the 01st January 2014). The benefit is available to members who are both guests and non-guests who visit our hotels.

We look forward to being of service to you in the future during forthcoming stays at our hotel. Have a wonderful festive season.