“Really tried hard to like this place”

Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre
Ranked #44 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Really tried hard to like this place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I tried to like this place, I really did. But overall, it lacked warmth, and even some of the basics one might expect from the HI Express brand.

In the room: Fairly large room, nice comfy bed with oodles of pillows. The TV however was small and completely across the other side of the room. My optometrist says my eyes aren't what they use to be, but certainly not this bad. Move the TV or get a larger one folks!

In the bathroom: Most memorable was the mold growing on the ceiling of the restroom. It's not well-ventilated and not surprising this is here. Astounding is the amount present and how no one has bothered to attend to it. Otherwise, fairy small, with a shower head/tub sufficient for cleaning needs; nothing exciting to see here.

In the restaurant: HI Express brand serves a hot/cold light breakfast buffet. This hotel has taken it up a notch and serves this plus a few other home-cooked entrees along with a good selection of teas and coffee. Indoor and outdoor seating made breakfast a bit more enjoyable. Definitely a high point to the stay. They partner with two nearby restaurants for direct billing as well.

In the area: Really centrally located in town. The area in front of the hotel is home to street vendors by day selling all the typical tourist goods (shirts, trinkets and such), along with several retail stores. While heavy police presence by day, It does get a bit shady at night - and I have a high tolerance for shady,

In the gym: There isn't one! Arggggh.

Overall - Just OK. A walk around the hotel neighborhood will reveal other options with far better amenities and comparable prices likely without some of the issues addressed above.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mike G
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear dbcme
Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into and the necessary steps taken to ensure we continue to improve.
Judy Coleman - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Positives:
• Great location in the heart of Cape Town – right next to Long Street (bars and restaurants galore)
• Great shopping
• Very friendly staff
• The breakfast buffet is plentiful

Negatives:
• The service is incredibly inefficient. Don’t bother ringing down to reception for anything. They say they’ll do it and nothing happens till you physically go downstairs and plead for service.
• There’s always an excuse: ask for your coffee to be refilled, a full day later they explain that the coffee was sent up…to the wrong room. Ask for a cab to called…they tell you a cab came and it picked up the wrong person
• The room wasn’t really clean when I moved it.
• I don’t feel that it was value for money. I stayed for 4 nights in the first week of January (a last minute booking during a peak period). But for 110 Euros a night for a standard room, I would’ve liked a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear IrisJay
Thank you for your review you recently completed and at the outset I would like to offer our sincere apologies for the problems that you encountered with our hotel during your stay at our hotel.
Our aim is to provide all our guests with a seamless and memorable experience and regrettably this was not the case during your stay.
All of your comments, especially regarding the sub-standard service have been noted and the appropriate action will be taken to remedy the areas requiring improvement.
Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to being of service to you in the future.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here for five nights. Rooms are a very good size and very comfortable.

The hotel is excellent value for money and includes a buffet breakfast and is very central.

Near hop on hope off bus.

Walkable to Waterfront.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear HolidayGuruUK
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel. I was glad to read that you found our hotel to be excellent value for money. Our central location is one of the reasons why our guests favour our hotel
I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Thanks and Kind Regards
Johannesburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayyed for 4 nights during December 2013 - We never had toilet paper or towels without calling down several times for them to be replenished. This occurred on three separate occasions and in both our room and our daughter's rooms - on different floors serviced by different staff - so there is no excuse that it was just an oversight in one room!
Our room was not serviced on all four days we were checked in - we had to call down and demanded room was serviced before anything was done- Their excuse was they did not have the linen and towels available to do a change over as they were outsourcing their laundry function to an outside service provider and the OWNERS have not ensure that they have as a basic minimum standard a change of linen for all rooms- One night we only received towels at 21h00!! ( This is totally unacceptable!)
My advice - Avoid this hotel at peak holiday times as they lack sufficient towels/ sheets/ toilet paper and even seats in the dining room to accommodate you during the breakfast session. Furthermore the HOT FOOD IS DISGUSTING - Every day of our 5 day stay - we were served sloshy scrambled eggs floating in water/ baked beans every day - and then some pale sausage type monstrosity one guest referred to it as "reconstituted cat food"! when this was changed on Day 3 to beef sausage there was more gristle than meat - cheap and NASTY! Personally I cannot understand how they won a Trip adviser prize in 2013! The entire format of the breakfast area is such that there is a permanent GRIDLOCK at the coffee machine and toaster that causes frustration and rage by many guests - In my opinion entirely justified rage. It is time the UK owners of this SA hotel reviewed the entire layout of the dining area and did something to ensure customer satisfaction from beginning to end. The appointed South African Staff try so hard to apologize on a daily basis for situations that are BEYOND their control - THE UK OWNERS must take OWNERSHIP of this UNPLEASANT SITUATION or leave our sunny shore - as your failure to honour your guests is damaging our PROUDLY SOUTH AFRICAN BRAND> I felt ripped off - R10 000 is not small change in any currency ( for a mere 4 nights) and I feel that Holiday Inn Express owners shortsightedness failed my family and I in EVERY REGARD! SHAME on you HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS! I require a full refund of the costs incurred as I did not get what was advertized - I got a 3rd rate experience in a 1st world city. We will not be back any time soon! :( BRAND credibility is seriously tainted by UK owners limiting funds to fix the PROBLEMS! Wifi services are very slow!
I would love to give the staff a 5 star rating for trying so hard to please, but the UK owners a -10 rating!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel in this general area - as the location was great - just the hotel's lack...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Margot080
Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and I apologise for any inconvenience you have experienced due to the poor housekeeping service and busy breakfast area. As both myself and my assistant general manager have previously explained to you we experienced unusually high volumes of guests this season and we were unfortunately affected by the breakdown experienced by our outsourced linen cleaning company as the turnaround time for our linen was severely delayed.

Your feedback will be used as training for the relevant department and individuals, as it enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. My team and I strive to provide guests with the best possible facilities and service. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

As we have also been in contact directly via email should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kabul, Afghanistan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I satyed in his hotel for a week and found it one of the best hotels. All the rooms are very clean and the front dest staff is very very helpful. They are also arranging different tours like safari and other tours as well.Its location is also good and there are too many shops down the hotel for shopping. I would prefer it to those who want to enjoy their stay in a hotel where they can enjoy their stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Zubair K
Thank you for your review of our hotel recently. I was pleased to read that overall you found our hotel to your satisfaction and thank you for your great comments regarding our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
High Peak Derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night on business in December. The hotel entrance is not on a street but on a pedestrian walkway that is a market by day. There is a small sin ghost or lane drive way to the hotel parking and also where taxis drop off and pick up. Both check in and out was quite quick. The room was spacious and I had free will Wi-Fi. Due to a late flight I left bags in storage, the porter did not show up and after 10 minutes wait I ended up getting my bags from the store myself. Great location and value.

• Stayed December 2013
GeneralManagerHIECPT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear jbdiggerman
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I was pleased to learn that you were satisfied with our service overall. My sincere apologies for the delay in getting your luggage from our storeroom, we don't have porters in the hotel and therefore utilise our maintenance team. Your comments regarding our hotel and location are most gratifying to note.
We look forward to being of service to you in the future.
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised. Location is great. Walking distance to bars restaurants and coffee shops. Curio markets surrounding the hotel.
My room , despite the upgrade, was on the tiny side. Clean. New . Well maintained.
Breakfast is complementary. Doppio Zero diagonally across the hotel is a much better choice.
If you come with a car , use the hotel valet service. At R50 a day it's a good solution. Just be aware that the parking lot cannot accommodate SUV's or 4x4 .

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear 1stAccidentalTourist
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I was pleased to note that you found our location convenient and our hotel clean and well maintained.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.