“Treated like Royalty, Intimate and Peaceful Setting, Delicious Breakfast, Great Part of Town; Home Away from Home”

Dysart Boutique Hotel
Ranked #18 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I cannot rate this place highly enough. My husband and I visited Cape Town with another couple. It was our first time in Cape Town, and we weren't sure where to stay. We stayed at Dysart for a week, and it was perfect for us! They have two buildings right next to each other on a quiet street off of the main drag in Green Point. It was secluded but a 5 minute walk to nice restaurants (try El Burro for delicious margaritas and Mexican food and go to Manos for a nice steak!) and shops in Green Point and a 20 minute walk to the V&A. We and our friends were put in the building next to the main one. This building only has two rooms (though they are planning to add a few more rooms), and it was great for us since we felt like we had the whole house to ourselves. Our room had a nice patio that overlooked the small plunge pool and lounge chairs outside. The main building (25 feet away from ours) has a nice outdoor seating area with a larger pool and more lounge chairs. We also ate our breakfasts out here except for the last day when it was raining.
And, the breakfasts... They are delicious (fruit, bread, yogurt, smoked salmon etc), and you can order a hot breakfast every day and the LOVELY ladies in the kitchen will make you delicious cappuccinos and lattes.
The staff is amazing, and like I said, treat you with such hospitality and warmth that you feel like royalty or at home :) They always called and made reservations for us and had a few recommendations to give as well. They made every effort to serve us. We were able to chat with the owner, and he even invited us up for a glass of wine. I think the best example of how far they will go is this: shortly after arriving at the airport to leave Cape Town, I realized I had left my passport in my room! My husband and I frantically called the hotel and talked to one of the lovely ladies. They sent someone immediately to the airport and dropped it off. I am not sure if it was one of the owners who dropped it off, but she wouldn't accept money from us and just said it was a service on behalf of the hotel.....
The rooms are decorated in an eclectic manner, the bed was very comfortable. Only downsides are parking on the small street, but again, the staff help with this. Additionally, there isn't a ton of privacy from the bathroom to the bedroom as it's a frosted glass door, but my husband and I didn't mind. The shower is amazing too!
Stay here! I don't think you will regret it.

2  Thank Joy J

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

A place, where everything is just right: the welcome, the decor, the high quality bedding, the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff and the knowledgable owner, who moved from Germany to Cape Town a couple of years ago. Great position in Green Point, close to both city and waterfront. A true five-star experience.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Dieter791
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was our second visit, 2.5 years after our first. On arrival we were greeted as if we were constant regulars, everyone of the small staff recognised us without fail. Service standards remain as high as ever with a delicious breakfast as good as we remembered. We'll return again.

Room Tip: Both rooms 5 and 6 have excellent view over Greenpoint and across Table Bay to Milnerton.
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First time in Cape Town but i felt at home very quickly due to the very friendly staff of this perfect boutique hotel. The rooms are great, very big, clean and modern.
The breakfast is amazing, the terrace and swimming pool very nice and the location of the hotel very convenient as well.
And the staff was great. The cooker, the maid, the reception and the owner of the place. Everybody was very friendly

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank vinz1
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Dysart is amazing!!! Dysart is situated close enough to the city that you can walk to nearby restuarants but far enough away that the you do not feel like you are in a big city. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is delicious! I can't imagine staying at a better hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Had no idea what to expect when i got to this place, but I miss it already. Breakfast and the morning staff were insanely nice, helpful and make some very good coffee, which made me excited to wake up everyday. Met the owners, and overall the place was legit! No complaints from me at all, and that's rare.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

General:

I really enjoyed the personalised approach of staying in a small hotel (circa 8 rooms) instead of a large corporate hotel in Cape Town. Boutique is an often overused word the world over but the Dysart certainly justifies the use of it; as it sums up the place very succulently. On arrival I was welcomed with a complimentary pool side drink before being given a tour of my room/the hotel; my luggage had already been spirited upstairs.

I stayed at the Dysart Boutique Hotel for 3 nights 8 to 10 Apr 14, booked via hotel.com.

Room:

I was in a Grand Deluxe Sea facing double room with balcony (room 6). The room was stylish, light, airy and spacious with double doors opening out onto a small (approx 1 m deep) balcony which ran almost the width of the room, with a sea/stadium view. The room was immaculate, air conditioned, came with a mini bar fridge (very reasonable prices - approx 100 RAND for a bottle of wine), LCD TV, tea/coffee making facilities. The double bed was comfortable and came with two separate single duvets (very mainland Europe but a nice feature).

The modern tiled bathroom was spotless, with a large shower (big enough for two) and twin sinks. It came equipped with decent quality Gilchrest and Sommes soaps and shower gels. Fresh fluffy towels were replaced daily.

Location:

The location is perfect, set back away from the busy noisy roads it is an oasis of calm in Green Point. Having stayed in both Cape Town Central (see separate report) and stayed in Green Point I certainly prefer this location. The area was safe and an easy gentle 15 minute stroll to the V + A Waterfront (along Main Road and then Portswood Road). If you don’t fancy walking, taxis are cheap and plentiful. It is a great area for going for an early morning jog along the sea front (8 mins away) or through Green Point Park. There are plenty of restaurants and shops within safe walking distance.

Service:

A smiley welcome by all staff who were always keen to help.

Facilities:

The small infinity pool (there are two) was a welcome relief after a day of sight seeing. There are plenty of sun loungers and loads of pool side fluffy towels.

Wifi:

Free reliable wifi both in room and next to the pool

Food/Restaurant:

Breakfast is served in warmer weather next to the pool (see picture). A fabulous buffet range of meats/cheeses/smoked salmon, yogurts, juices, fruits, fresh coffee, bread etc etc with an option of a cooked breakfast. It was certainly a breakfast to look forward.

The hotel does not serve dinner but there are loads of decent restaurants within walking distance; I ate at the following:

The Hussar Grill – (http://www.hussargrill.co.za) 107 Main Road, 5 mins walk from Dysart. Great steaks, meats are a speciality and a favourite with Cape Town locals so worth booking in advance, it was packed on a Tuesday night in April. Summary: Good atmosphere, great service, fabulous food, reasonably priced – a definite recommend.

Bistro 1800 in the Cape Royal Hotel - (http://www.caperoyale.co.za/about-1800/) 47 Main Road, 5 – 8 mins walk from Dysart. The food was good but the service was very poor and the place totally lacking in atmosphere; the restaurant was empty and we were seated outside under a covered veranda at the front of the hotel. As it got dark the waiting staff didn’t turn the outside lights on and one table were using the light from their mobile phones to read the menu and the specials board became invisible. It appears to be mainly a tourist venue. Summary: no atmosphere, poor service, although good food and reasonably priced – a maybe recommend if you can’t get in elsewhere.

Beluga – (http://www.beluga.co.za), off Ebenezer Road in an old foundry, circa 15 mins walk from Dysart (mostly along Main Road). A great vibe about this restaurant, another favourite with Cape Town locals, we booked in advance and it was packed on a Thursday night. Weather was pleasant so we ate outside in the court yard. Summary: Great atmosphere, really good friendly service, fabulous food, reasonably priced – a definite recommend.

Airport Transfer – I used the taxi service recommended and booked by the hotel costing RAND 320, seamless pick up by Alex the friendly taxi driver.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear have a private patio - some rooms at the front have a small balcony and sea view.
1  Thank Catttto