“Superb Accommodation”

Ranked #8 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Paternoster, South Africa
“Superb Accommodation”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

What a great room. Large by any standards and squeaky clean. Wonderful shower and good quality soaps and shampoos. Nice size balconytoo, overlooking the pool. And quiet - especially considering the location right in the heart of Sea Point and close to Cape Town CBD. Staff available round the clock ; we were welcomed back after a night at the theatre with an offer of a nightcap. Nice welcome too , a glass of red wine in hand before we were shown the room and our luggage preceded us.
Would like to see in the bedroom a luggage rack and in the loo a can of air freshener.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CourteneyGeorge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in September 2012. We chose it online because of the good reviews and the low price offered (probably due to the low season), and we were just blown away.
Firstly, the hotel itself is gorgeous. From the pool to the plants to the decor, just everything was so well designed and beautifully chosen. Then, the room was large, offered a lot of light, and most importantly, was VERY clean. The breakfast was amazing-- buffet AND à la carte were included in our rate, and neither disappointed. Most importantly, the staff was amazing. We were concerned that we would perhaps be the odd man out as a straight couple in a gay hotel, but the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We were greeted by Jean-Claude and Doudou, who were beyond lovely, and I am only disappointed that I don't remember other members of the staff's names to praise them in this review.
Free high-speed wireless internet and free parking were also a big plus. No gym, but it is very close to a road where you can jog along the ocean.
Great location in sea point, and great atmosphere at the hotel (bar, restaurant, and spa!)
Overall really amazing experience, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CF2252
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 26 September 2012

A simply stunning hotel that is pure luxury.
The staff are the most welcoming at any hotel I can remember, a glass of wine was in our hands on arrival even before we had the key. Any questions we may have had were handled brilliantly along with great recommendations for restaurants, getting around and bars.
I wont even look at another place to stay on any return visit I may have and I've recommended it to anyone who mentions that they may be visiting gorgeous Cape Town.
Above excellent!

Room Tip: From what we saw you'd be in luxury even in the broom cupboard!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 19 September 2012

As a birthday surprise for my wife, I set up a 10 day vacation in South Africa. The first five days were spent in Cape Town staying at the Glen Boutique Hotel; the last five days we stayed at the Vuyani Safari Lodge. This review focuses on our time in Cape Town staying at the Glen Boutique Hotel.

Bottom line ... the Glen Boutique Hotel is a GREAT(!) hotel. In terms of hospitality, their willingness to go out of their way to be helpful and their friendliness, it ranks up there with the best hotels we've ever stayed at (matter of fact, sitting here, I can't think of a better hotel in those respects). They leverage their 'smallness' ... every guest is personally greeted. And when you come in from a day trip, you're greeted with a sincere 'welcome home' and 'how was your day'.

Our room was spacious, clean, well decorated and had a small walkout balcony. It had a large, flat screen TV with Direct TV. They have two Apple computers (one in their bar and another off their dining room) with high speed I'net connectivity. They also have WiFi throughout the hotel.

We stayed in August, at the end of their winter season. While I don't know their 'high season' pricing, I can say the cost to stay there for us was very reasonable. The price also included a light buffet breakfast that included a full cooked-to-order course.

When I first found this hotel and booked it online, I did not realize it also catered to the gay/lesbian community. But for us, it didn't matter at all. Other hetro couples were there and everyone was friendly and we had a great time interacting with all the staff and other guests.

The hotel is located just a couple of blocks from a 'Red & Blue Line hop on, hop off' bus stop. The 'hop on, hop off' bus tour is a very effective way of seeing the city. Be sure to order your tickets online ... they have a ticket package option for two days, canal cruise, etc.

I thought about renting a car for one day to get down to Simon's Town, Cape Point, etc, but instead opted for hiring a cab/driver. We went from 10am to 6pm and he drove us everywhere. This was great for me since I did not have to focus on driving 'on the wrong side', navigating, etc. He also served as a personal tour guide as we stopped at various locations. For example he had us try a local fish (Snoek) at a small walk-up fish market/deli and he made sure it was cooked/served the way a typical South African family might have it.

BTW, in Cape Town, the Two Oceans Aquarium is a great place to visit and have lunch. We had a lunch featuring Hake, another local fish.

Since a trip to Table Mountain is just about mandatory, be sure to ask the Front Desk at the Glen to order your tickets online and print them. That way you don't have to stand in line to buy tickets at the base of the mountain.

In any event, if you're going to Cape Town, this is the hotel to stay at.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EdRochester
scubadiver3000
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We had an amazing time while we stayed here. The staff could not be more friendly or accommodating. They went out of their way to help with parking our rental car and assisting with the luggage. The room was very nice and well appointed. We stayed at other B&B's while in Cape Town and the Glen Boutique was head and shoulders above the competition!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scubadiver3000
Cordoba, Argentina
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My husband an I stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon. The place it self is so beautiful, the decoration is amazing, the room had everything we needed, every little detail is taken care of, even the food looks beautiful, the way they arrange it, it was like being in wonderland for 3 days... Not only that but the service was the best ever! They are happy, respectful, and always ready to go the extra mile... They give as a beautil surprised when we came back from a walk they ha canddles lights in the room, a way of roses petals to a champagne bottle, an more roses and chocolates in the bed... It was sooooo romantic! We will never forget it! The next day they also help us arrange a tour around which was more than perfect! We got to see pinguins, seals, horse ridding cape of good hope, table mountain wine testing, fisher town all in just one day! Tjey even gave as a weding greating card! I would go back a million times!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My wife and I had the privilege to stay in the penthouse for one night; it is one of the best places we have ever stayed. Our experience has been wonderful from the moment we entered reception. The staff was very friendly and helpful; very clean hotel and room with beautiful finishes and décor. Food was great although a small menu. The small bar was basically new when we visited and need some tweaking; the barman was not up to standards and is our only complaint if we have to have one. Just a small note: I visited the hotel’s website after I made an online booking I was rather shocked with what I saw, it appeared to be a gay hotel. I immediately called them and asked about this as I wanted a romantic getaway for my wife and I, the reception told me that they are gay friendly and that it would not be awkward for us. This was 100% correct and I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple