“Just fantastic - an all-round winner”

Glen Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Perfectly situated a little away from the tourist traps but within easy reach of everything you'd ever need in Cape Town - from the beaches to the shopping - The Glen is a lovely piece of unpretentious indulgence. Steam room in season, knowledgeable guest liaison staff, superb food and those little touches that make this "excellent", not just "very good". A lovely double pool, plenty of multi-level relaxation areas and a certain pizzazz of ambient music and subtle furniture and art/display, this is THE place to stay in the Mother City. Love it.

Room Tip: Note this is on a road called "The Glen", not Glen Road - there's a street of that nam...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We made a last minute booking and upon arrival were treated to an upgrade in the mod, spacious penthouse suite. Despite a late check in, the staff were charming & cheerful, parked our car etc. private lift to apartment and basement parking (so completely weather proof), Very comfortable bedding (I never missed my own pillow!), stocked mini bar,Nespresso coffee machine, two flat screen TV, the latest Apple computer etc all at your disposal. shower & luxury two person slipper bath, separate loo, double basins, hairdryer. etc. the suite has French doors onto a deck balcony with a lovely view.

The hotel itself has two swimming pools, with different little secluded areas to catch some sun. Very nice continental or a variety of cooked breakfast options. The dinner/lunch menu looked good if wanting an early eat in night.

I am a fussy traveller and felt it exceeded my expectations. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I decided to book into a boutique hotel with wife in tow and the experience was a wonderful change from the 'big brand hotels' i frequent on business trips.

From the outset, the freindly and efficient service was more personal and more caring than we have experienced anywhere. Our room was modern, comfortable and presented well and the breakfasts were good.

The addition of a wine tasting evening was a nice touch and opened up some fun chatter with both guests and staff.

If personal service blows your hair back, the Glen Hotel is recommended highly.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms maximise both the view and the privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alon S
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed three nights and had the most wonderful time. All of the staff where wonderful, attentive & friendly. The accommodation was clean and very cleverly designed. The pool and amenities "sauna,steam room, jacuzzi were perfect.I will certainly stay again when I next return to Cape Town.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I had the most amazing time at the Glen Boutique hotel and they one of the reasons I will forever love Capetown. The staff in its entirety were warm and went far and beyond the call of duty. My whole holiday was planned perfectly and my wish was their command. Even though there were a few things wrong with my room I don't mind one bit as I had the most fantastic time and it was quite delightful to find true hospitality in Capetown. I can't wait till I go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Fifemayo
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Where start? Arrived on birthday & hotel arranged the most delicious Black Forest cake and champagne. Was in a room in the annex and the decor was tasteful, muted yet still high end. The staff are what makes the hotel from the owner, Mark, through to the team who are too many to mention but I can't not acknowledge Arnold, Rudi, Phllip, Riaan, Mila & Jean Paul? Clara and Bognan rose to the challenge of making, Malva pudding which was not on the menu but was something we'd been craving since arriving in the country. The summer platter is a feast of all senses. I don't want to leave

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Yoliwe K
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My (now) Husband and I flew to Cape Town to have our wedding. We had no idea when we googled hotels what a gem we were about book into.

It started with a few emails which then went onto a couple of Skype conversations with Phil the General Manager and Phillip the Guest Relations Manager. From the get-go these two gentlemen could not have been more obliging or helpful. Nothing was going to be too hard for them and they made us instantly feel that our decision to stay and in fact to have our wedding at the hotel was going to be the right one.

On arrival we were met by the charming Rudi who drove us to the Hotel all the while giving us a rapid history and geography lesson about Cape Town and the areas we were passing through en route to the hotel which we both (despite my childhood being in East Africa) found fascinating as we are (now) from Australia.

Then we arrived at The Glen. In a word - magnificent.
A wonderfully restored building that the minute you walked into conveyed an elegance and casual chic that you would find in some European Hotels with the added 'warmth' of South African hospitality.
We were then given a guided tour of the outdoor dining and pool areas along with the other section of the hotel that housed more guests rooms (I think there are 22 in all), the Spa and another bar area, complete with fireplace for those unexpected yet chilly days in the Cape.

We were put into Room 1. Directly upstairs from the lobby. If you go to the Hotel's website http://www.glenhotel.co.za/ and hit the 'Rooms & Suites' tab its the room that is featured with the blue and grey polka dot bed cover. A truly wonderful room with so much room and your own balcony that is shaded from the heat by beautiful trees. From the window in the both the bedroom and bathroom you can see out to the ocean which is both romantic and relaxing.
The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom was enormous with the centrally located bathtub a feature.
The room was equipped with a TV, DVD player, iPod Music System and your very own 22" iMac. Direct dial phones, free wifi, room safe, tea and coffee making facilities including the South African staple rooibos tea! If I had to search really hard for something more for the room my only thing would be a Nespresso Coffee Machine - but I love my coffee so Im biased! There was a fully stocked mini-bar, lovely linens which were crisp and clean and wonderfully fluffy monogrammed towels.Truly I cannot fault this room at all. Spotlessly clean and comfortable, I would have happily made it my home!
However things didn't end there, breakfast was provided as part of our rate and it was wonderful. A vast array of foods to cater to the most discerning guest. Choices ranged from pastries to meats and cheeses, breakfast cereals, fresh fruit, various breads, yoghurts and then an extensive range of hot meal options such as eggs, bacon etc.
We needed the use of a car whilst there as we had many things we needed to attend to prior to our wedding and lo and behold the Hotel had these available too. As we were clueless as to where everything was, we needed a GPS equipped car - so we were presented with a 2 week old Renault Clio 4. A zippy little vehicle that got us everywhere. We felt very 'local' by the time we handed it back at the end of our weeks stay.

As it got closer to the wedding day we had more meetings with Phil about the ceremony, where we wanted it held in the Hotel, flowers and a celebration meal, music etc. He assured us that everything would be taken care of including a 5-course meal that was personalised for us and our guests who had different dietary requirements. Well he didn't disappoint. On the day there was not one 'hitch' at all - truly a flawless experience and a wedding to remember.

I have 'gone on' a bit here but its because I feel so passionately about this Hotel. I am well traveled and this is without a doubt my now # 1 hotel in the world for me. I am a fan of Boutique Hotels for a reason and The Glen is a shining of example of why. Lead by its General Manager it exemplifies customer service with a truly 'can do' attitude that delivers. Thanks to Phil, Phillip, Rudi, Riaan, Ruan, Bogdan, Clara, Jean-Claude and a bunch of other staff whose names I have difficulty in pronouncing!!

We will be back? Yes, in a heart beat. Plans are already afoot for early next year!

Cape Town itself made us fall in love with the Cape, The Glen made us fall in love with the World...

Sappy? Yes... But true. Go visit people....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
#45 of 112 in Cape Town Central
Cape Grace
#7 of 112 in Cape Town Central

Been to Glen Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!