“Standards in serious decline”

Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
Ranked #45 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 29 March 2011

During my last stay at the Cape Royale, a year ago, I rated it 'truly outstanding' - it was consistently good in all aspects of service. I probably gave this hotel my best review ever.

Things have changed for the worst - I can only assume there has been some sort of management change as you notice declines everywhere. The great service has been replaced with haphazard standards - sometime ok, other times unacceptably poor.

At breakfast staff often ignore you, chatting in the corner. If you can get their attention they often forgot to bring your request or come with the wrong item. Often I just gave up trying to get what I wanted.

Shockingly I was physically stopped from getting in the lift and brought back to reception to be told that I should have checked out part way through my stay. This wasn't correct, but even when evidence was produced to show their error the staff member dealing with the issue refused to apologise and made me feel like I was inconveniencing them - when actually it was the other way around!

Others in my group had multitude of minor and major problems of all sorts- the general theme was apathy from the management.

It's a shame what's happened here - let's hope management can get it fixed soon.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
TerriMallett, Manager at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel and Residence during your recent visit to Cape Town. And may I also thank you for taking the time to write to us detailing your experiences during your stay.

I am sorry that your expectations were not met on this stay. Our guest feedback is one way we can ensure we have achieved our aim, and address anything we can indeed alter so as to meet and exceed the expectations of all our guests.

The hotel has recently appointed a new Managing Director and with that a new management team who have the experience of managing a 5 star property. With their skills and experiences we now have procedures in place to avoid such shortfalls in service which you noted. Please be assured that I have made careful note of each item that you have documented for our departmental Managers so as to address. These issues will be a focus at the next management meeting so that actions can be put in place to avoid a repeat.

Once again, I thank you for your comments, as it is only through such important feedback that we can continually improve. Should you decide to return, please feel free to contact myself directly. I hope given the chance you will return to reinstate your faith in Cape Royale Luxury Hotel and Residence.

Kindest Regards

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,559)

Reviewed 26 March 2011

My husband was in this hotel on Business, and me and our 10month old decided to join for a holiday. I was a bit nervous about staying in a luxury hotel with a baby, but I needn't have worried. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. In particular Tatem (sp?) the restaurant supervisor, Faith in the restaurant, and Ali on the door were all brilliant.They offered a driver to escort me around town (within a 5k radius), and our 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suite with fully appointed kitchen was perfect.
We enjoyed the roof deck bar and pool on several occasions, and breakfast was fantastic.
The hotel also uses a fantastic nanny agency - Megan, who we used on several occasions was wonderful.
We had one poor dinner in the restaurant, but this was with a big group and I think was a one off, as room service from the restaurant was consistently good.
The concierge organised all sorts of excursions and restaurant bookings for us, and generally made sure with made the most of our stay.
Oh, and the spa was pretty good too.
Only complaint from some of the friends who also stayed with us and had a room at the front of the hotel was of noise from the recently opened nightclub, however we didn't hear a thing as our room was at the back.
My husband also says the hotel was very well set up for small conferences.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
TerriMallett, Manager at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel and Residence. And may I also thank you for taking the time to detail your experiences here on trip advisor.

I am pleased to note an overall enjoyable stay. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and for that I thank you. Please be assured I have passed your comments along to all Department Managers so as to convey your thanks and our appreciation of their teams’ hard work.

Please be assured that the issue regarding the noise complaints from ZAR lounge, next to the hotel has since been communicated with the relevant Manager and I am pleased to advise you that this has been addressed. I thank you for bringing these to our attention in order to ratify.

Once again, I thank you for your comments, as it is only through such feedback that we can continually improve. I look forward to welcoming you back to Cape Royale within the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 1 March 2011

This time last week my husband, 15 year old daughter and I were in Cape Town having in wonderful holiday. We spent 5 nights in the Cape Royale and took day excursions from there. Not sure which hotel the previous reviewer was staying in but the comments did not reflect our experience. We travel an awful lot around the world but I will say that the Cape Royale was one of the best hotels we have stayed in. We had the benefit of one of the 3 bedroom apartments which was very spacious over 2 levels. The toiletries were also lovely. What made the trip very special was Madnee, the concierge who was very helpful in suggesting places to eat and things to do. He arranged 2 day trips with the hotel driver, Peter. 1st day we visited the wine lands and the lovely town around that area, including Boschendal where we had a lovely picnic - not to be missed. He made sure that there were lots of things that would also delight our 15 year old daughter, such as visiting the cheetah sanctuary and chocolate tasting. Second day we drove down the costal road to Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope, stolling at beaches and places of interest alongthe way. We all enjoyed both days.
If I have to find a negative it would be to day that breakfast service could be improved as it is a bit hit and miss.
We will return to Cape Royale.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel and Residence during your recent visit to Cape Town. And may I also thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback.

Please be assured that your items you feel could be improved relating to the breakfast service have since been communicated with our Food and Beverage Manager in order to address.

Once again, I thank you for your comments, as it is only through such feedback that we can continually improve. I look forward to welcoming you back to Cape Royale Luxury Hotel and Residence within the not too distant future, when I am confident you will note a marked improvement.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 15 February 2011

I booked four nights in this hotel (two separate stays of two nights each) based largely on the reviews on TripAdvisor. On the plus side, the hotel was very pretty and clean; and we quite enjoyed breakfast and the friendly staff in the restaurant.

However, I would say this hotel is lacking in a number of ways:

- The reception staff were not very friendly, and the concierge was aloof and unhelpful -- particularly the chap with the short, blonde hair. I would recommend that this particular individual go and stay in an actual five-star hotel in London or New York and observe how a concierge should act. One of his colleagues decided to argue with me over the validity of checking a flight time, to which my response could only be "just do it". These people were insufferable.

- We slept poorly on the first two nights based on the facts that the beds are very small, and they are in a very cramped end of a strangely-organized room. As another reviewer pointed out, there are all sorts of loud noises that echo round the hotel into the small hours, making sleep hard to come by. When I called the duty manager to alert him of this, he seemed quite affronted that I had decided to call him.

- The quality of the products in the bathroom was terrible. We usually travel with our own, but as this was a long trip wanted to rely on what was provisioned by the hotel -- big mistake at this place.

- The location is *not good*! At this price you can get something much better, and not risk walking through the charmless neighborhood to get to anywhere of consequence.

In the end we canceled the second two-night spell we had booked as we preferred to look for an actual five-star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Please note that my date of stay in not correct. There was not an option to put in Feb 2009 and a future stay booked for December 2011. Stayed here in half term Feb 2009. Got really good deal with Expedia. We were amazed at our 2 bed 2 bath suite with fully equipped kitchen - it was lovely. We didn't think we would be able to afford to come back here again as we got a good price because the hotel was new. However we have found a good travel agent who has managed get us the same suite with breakfast at a reasonable price in December this year and this is our hotel of choice for a 13 night stay. The hotel is on a main road but is centrally located and within walking distance of the Waterfront. I found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful. We did eat in the hotel restaurant on one evening and found the service to be quite slow but the meal was good. At breakfast time the service was good although the breakfast was pricey so we are glad that its included when we go in December. My only worry is that the pool is small. This wasn't a problem when we came here before but I am wondering whether there will be room when we travel at Christmas which is a busy time. I suppose that there are plenty of beaches for us to go to and we do have family in Cape Town who have a pool but I will post an update after our trip.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2011

The hotel is ideally situated not far from the V&A near the stadium and the complimentary minibus was most useful for trips into town or to the waterfront. The staff were very friendly and helpful, providing everything we needed. The rooms were comfortable and stylish, and we liked having a kitchen to make our own breakfast. We enjoyed a light meal in the roof top restaurant, although the pool is quite small. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Generally, a luxurious, welcoming hotel, with charming, helpful and friendly staff.

Particular mention has to be made to concierge Madnee Mayman....

We found ourselves in a difficult position of our car hire company refusing to release our car due to my forgetting my driving license. With us having paid in advance for all of our hotels along the Garden Route, this was a cause of considerable stress and worry to us.

Madnee was, quite simply, amazing. He spoke to the car hire company, and the Irish Embassy, and liaised by email with the Driving License Authority in Ireland, and managed to obtain a letter from Ireland which Avis were willing to accept in lieu of my license. In all of his dealings with everyone, he was calm, considerate and extremely professional. In particular I was most grateful for his manner when speaking with my wife, keeping her positive and comforting her when she got upset.

We successfully took possession of the car, and our honeymoon in the beautiful, magical country of SA was everything we had dreamed it would be, but quite simply would not have been possible without Madnee’s help.

I never write reviews for these sort of things, but I just felt that such professionalism and help beyond the call of duty should be noted.

If you are staying in Cape Town and treating yourself to some luxury... stay here!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple