“Not what it was... can't recommend”

Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not what it was... can't recommend”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We loved the Cape Royale in the past, but sadly, we had an extremely disappointing stay. We brought friends and we were embarrassed, as we had built it up to be such a wonderful hotel. Of the three places we stayed in South Africa on this trip, I am really glad it was the first, so we could improve from there...

The service was completely unreliable. We had an important appointment the day after we arrived and we double-checked that our room service order for breakfast was placed, only to find that somehow the order was lost without enough time to properly have something to eat.

We had heard that things were stolen from the safes in the rooms, so we took precautions with our money and valuables, but we made the mistake of leaving a large amount of money out, which we thought our friends were going to take and change for us. They forgot to take it and it was gone when we returned. That was our error, but we didn't expect to also have our TOILETRIES stolen... my husband's deodorant and cologne mysteriously disappeared over our stay.

Most troubling was that a heavy cabinet door fell off it's hinges on my husband's head. We reported it and it seems that the maintenance people only re-hung it, but did not repair the three hinges that were broken, so it fell on him a second time!

It is still a beautiful property, but we found it noisy this time and certainly not the place we loved in the past. We will be trying a different hotel for our next visit to our favorite city.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Baldwingirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed at the Cape Royale Hotel back in September. It was quite honestly the highlight of our trip to Cape Town. We arrived after a 12 hour flight and were greeted by the hotel's friendly and accommodating staff. I had booked a one bedroom room for our stay and the hotel upgraded us to a 3 bedroom suite! We also had champagne and vouchers for the restaurant left in our room. We really were treated like kings. I would highly recommend the restaurant - amazing steaks. I will definitely be returning and also recommended the hotel to friends.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a main road so it would be best to ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We just got back from spending the first three nights of our honeymoon at the Cape Royal. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is very kind and attentive. We were upgraded to a deluxe suite which had two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The room was beautiful with a comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. The pool and bar on the roof was really fun and the service there was great. The breakfast is a great value because you can order anything hot you want the kitchen to make you at no extra charge. We particularly liked the shuttle service to places around the hotel (within a 5 km distance).

We enjoyed our meal at the hotel restaurant 1800 Degree as well. The steak was really well cooked and the service was fantastic.

The Cape Royal was a great kickoff to our honeymoon. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed at the luxurious Cape Royale for 3 nights. It is centrally located in Main road, Green Point and is quick to get to the CICC and city centre. Beaches are more of a distance but the hotel has a lovely rooftop pool. The hotel also provides a complimentary shuttle. I was upgraded to a deluxe suite, which was a huge two bedroom unit with all modcons. It was less than spotlessly clean, with marks on the shower wall and a non functioning bath plug. Guest services were quick to respond to any requests and sort out the plug and bring us a coffee machine. The beds were comfortable, the amenities enough to suit every need. The breakfast spread was great and the staff for the most part friendly and courteous. I would stay here again but recommend for true 5 star service the hotel pay attention to the small details that make a big difference between deluxe and true luxury.

• Stayed March 2012
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I read a lot of these reviews before we went to Cape Town. I love tripadvisor, but I know that you can not trust everything you read. Everyone is different and I guess have different needs. I have some points that I have to share with you....

We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon. Got a great family suite with 2 bedrooms. Big and very well equipped. When we checked in we were told that they had taken out the minibar and they gave us a list of things we could order to be put in our fridge. We would only be charged what we actually took. That was not the case when we checked out on our departure. They said that I had ordered all this to the room and I had to pay for it. I refused and they let me get away with it because I referred to the hotel manager who gave us a lot of attention of various reasons.

We were also told upon check in that the roof top poo/bar was closed because of a private function going on. We were disappointed because it was beautiful weather and we had been travelling for a long time.
When we got back from a long day on the road the next day, the sign was there again. I thought they forgot to remove it but that was not the case. 2 out of 3 afternoons the pool was actually closed to it's guest. Very bad! Especially for the children. And the roof top is beautiful!
And even worse; when we went for a swim the next morning it was filthy dirty. Wax from candles everywhere, napkins and garbage all over the place. And this was at 11.00 am. Not 07.00 am...

I was very disappointed to read one the new reviews for Cape Royale regarding the stealing from the room. Our son (8 years old) hid his spiderman wallet in the bag with all the dirty laundry. Thinking that nobody wanted to go into that bag to look for a wallet. Very sadly he was wrong. When we got home that afternooon the wallet was empty. It was about 800 Rands in it and he was of course very upset. We told the management that he could have hid the money somewhere else but after reading about stealing from the rooms I am pretty sure I know what happend. It is a shame...

In my opinion this hotel has got huge problems with the management/owners. They don't know wether they want to be a time share building or a hotel. Now it is a mix, and it is not working as it should. The building is great! The location is great! The size of the room is fantastic! But it is just not good enough.

Oh, and one more thing: there is wifi in your room. BUT IT NEVER WORKS!
And - very funny - if you order a newspaper to be delivered on your door in the morning, they ring the doorbell at 07.00 am to tell you the newspaper is there. Strange.

I am sorry to say that I would try to find another hotel for our next visit to Cape Town....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dlira
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We spent the first half of our Honeymoon in Cape Town at the Cape Royale after reading so many positive reviews about it. And I have to say, it really did live up to and surpass our expectations.
The rooms are huge and there was flowers and wine for us upon arrival.
The staff were very friendly and each one of them had our names memorised which was a nice touch.
We loved the skybar and the staff up there were very courteous.
We had steak at the 1800 restaurant. Perfectly cooked and the sauces were delicious.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cape Town!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank oneila
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

When we first arrive at the hotel, we was so happy because the hotel was so nice..it looks as good as the Four Seasons. The first night we got there and tried to walk around the neighborhood we realized that CapeTown is not a very safe city, so we decided to put our money in the safes in the hotel.

All was fine until the morning we checked out. My aunt was the first one to say that she lost $900 US dollars from her wallet, my uncle $600, my dad $500. This was all in one suite. My cousin immediately went down to his suite and found that he also lost $1000 from his wallet. None of them lost all their money, they only took some of the money from each person's wallet. When we called them to complain it was an ordeal, we called the police to file a report but they said it if they find suspects, we would need to go back or else it is no point.
The hotel assured us that they would do a full investigation to get us out and since our flight was that morning we had no choice. When I got back to the US, it was a 4 month ordeal with them not replying to my emails until I threatened to escalate. In the end, we got back $1000.

How does money get stolen from a hotel room safe? Who would have a master PIN to locks? We rented a car with the hotel and each time you go into the garage, someone buzzes you in, so they are very well aware of when you leave and return to the hotel. I'm sure this occurs in the hotel all the time, they steal money on the last day, some of the money and hopefully no one realizes until it's too late.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family