“Absolutely brilliant!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited Nelson’s Eye with my partner and a colleague, and it was an unplanned and unexpected delight! We were seated practically immediately, and had a pleasant time selecting from the menu. Starting with a terrific bottle of Waterford wine, we ordered the Roquefort salad (terrific) and chicken livers in peri-peri sauce (divine!) to start with, and shared a jumbo rumpsteak and beef fillet on the bone — both made to perfection, both being some of the best steaks I’ve had in my life!

Between the pleasant atmosphere, lovely service and fantastic food, this was without a doubt one of the nicest meals I’ve had in a restaurant to date. We will be back for sure!

1  Thank Tomer G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,154)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our tour guide recommended this gem of a restaurant. We wanted a restaurant with a relaxed, local vibe with really good food. Nelson’s Eye hit the mark. It looks more like a local bar from the outside.

Nelson’s Eye is definitely not a tourist spot — we’re so glad we found it. They are known for their meat. I got the springbok & my husband got the t-bone.
He enjoyed his meal so much he didn’t want dinner to end; said it was the best steak he’d had in more than a year. The quality of the meat itself is top notch. Oh man I need to find out where to get springbok in the U.S. So delicious & lean. All dishes come with creamed spinach & some type of potato. We also ordered the pan fried mushrooms - they’re super garlicky. We liked them a lot!

For dessert we had our server’s favorite, Malva pudding, & a don Pedro with Amaretto. Both were also delicious.

The service is very attentive. Our server was Adrian & he did a great job. At the end of dinner one of the staff brought over some toothpicks after seeing my husband picking at his teeth.

Our hotel chauffeur said our hotel would recommend somewhere else - glad we didn’t ask them where to go. Nelson’s Eye was so yummy. If you couldn’t tell, we highly recommend.

1  Thank Goombagirl1
Reviewed 9 September 2018

Excellent meat, welcoming staff and goo service. I'll definitely go back to see Nelson, on my next trip to Cape Town

Reviewed 5 September 2018

We were taken here by a local resident who frequents this restaurant on a regular basis. It’s hidden amongst residential homes and would not be easily seen during the day. A little restaurant which delivered BIG! A small menu which revolves around their “steak & accompaniments”, of which everything was perfectly prepared. The owner and staff were attentive, and we watched this little place fill up in no time. We took our own wine, and restaurant was fine with this. Definitely will visit again. Highly recommended

1  Thank 682Joanne
Reviewed 3 September 2018

Our local guide Gordon told us about this. We'd already had one great referral from him so we tried it for a steak night. Incredible. It's a pretty small place, so reservations were important. We sat with a view of the grill, and enjoyed the staff. I had a Filet Mignon with a peppercorn sauce, that might be one of the best I've ever had. Perfectly cooked, sauce wasn't too much given I rarely have a sauced FM. The sides were excellent, and so was the wine. We'd have paid double the price back home in the states for this kind of meal. We've told a number of people already about it, and will come back again if we're back in Cape Town.

2  Thank Dave M