“Indian inspired theatre”
Review of Thali

Thali
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Thali was a dinner I will remember. The menu is set, consisting of several courses, the flavours of each are beautifully balanced. The emphasis is not on heat, it's definitely appealing to the chilli cautious, but the balance of sweet, sour, etc. is fantastic. I loved everything. But the fish tacos were for me.... an almost religious experience....
The proteins were lamb, seared tuna, and hake... So there isn't a lot of flexibility for the fussy.
My complaint is that service was patchy, and the courses were rushed. One in particular came immediately as we finished the other.
Despite being a great night out, the pricing is steep, which is problematic when not everyone likes the limited options within the set courses.

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

We opted for the vegetarian menu at Thali and thoroughly enjoyed it. The awkward thing is that the menu is for 2 people only so as a group of 3 we had to decide whether we ordered for 2 or 4...we went for 4 which was too much food (though can confirm that it tastes great the next day!).

In summary, the food is delicious (though not Thali as I know it) but make sure there are either an even number of you or that you are ravenous.

1  Thank Kayleigh F
Reviewed 4 December 2017

This was a treat/celebration and Thali delivered a wonderful experience. The food was excellent, the service was very good. Wine was reasonably priced and there was a fair amount of theatre with smoke from the tandoori oven billowing out from the kitchen. If you like Indian food you will love Thali.

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

As with the others of Chefs Warehouse’s collection...Thali was brilliant!!! The dishes were rich with flavors and each very distinct. The Tapas style for 2 makes for a very sociable experience and the overall ambiance was lively. Great service. I am big fan of Indian cuisine, truly hot Indian cuisine, I would consider Thali as Indian inspired fine dining, not really Indian. The very hot Indian spices are not there, understandably for the general crowd, but it is special in its own way. And I did not feel wholly stuffed like I usually would at an Indian restaurant, which is a plus. Very different tapas experience. Thumbs up for the concept.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

I enjoy Indian food and eat it in every city I visit. For comparison I have eaten in some very good Inidians in London such as Benares etc but Thali is probably better in food quality, but with a much more limited range of dishes.

But all of the dishes I had there were exquisite!

I went there for dinner and returned the next day for lunch - both meals excellent!

The Indian bread served was vey light - I normally hate bread but had never had anything like this before and enjoyed it tremendously.

The dhal was perfect/unique but the best I've ever had - it was not at all runny and had a unique taste and texture and a clear yellow colour.

Service is friendly and efficient.

As Cape Town restaurants go it is not cheap, but form European point of view it is very good value for the quality offered!