“Caring staff-friendly atmosphere -safe,central-not too quiet but not 24 hour party!!!”

Cape Town Backpackers
LONDON
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I was travelling alone and enjoyed my time here so much I kept adding a few more days.i was impressed with the very friendly caring staff -and their efficiency.locatiom is perfect-every where walkable-onward travel help given .An easy place fora single middly aged female traveller to stay!

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Niterói, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Next to Long Street, this hostel has a helpul staff that put you on the best CT atractions. Friendly guests from all around the world also helps you with precisious information. This is an informal, but well-threaten place. Nice stay !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
AndyCTBP, Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hey Romulo, thanks for the review, it was great having you stay. Good luck with the cycling, Namibia isn't that far!!! Please let us know how the journey goes. Andy
Sydney
Reviewed 9 March 2014

A plus - facilities are well maintained and the staff friendly. Everyone seems genuinely happy. Good value for money. Recommend to anyone. Really good location close to shopping restaurants and short walk to waterfront. Safe area.

• Stayed March 2014
AndyCTBP, Front Office Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hi Laura, thank you for taking the time to review us. :)
Mossel Bay, South Africa
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I left the backpackers after staying there for about 2 weeks. I asked them to lock my massive travellers suitcase in the storeroom and that I would pick it up at a later date as I was travelling around Cape Town and didn't want to lug this massive bag around.

Upon my return to collect my life's belongings which were in the suitcase, I was told that the owner, Andy, was away on holiday and that he had donated my suitcase to the less fortunate "as per their policy"

I have never in my life heard of any hotel that has such a policy that they can just give your luggage away even after making arrangements to pick it up!!! I am utterly disgusted!!!!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank GemGirl0706
AndyCTBP, Manager at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
WOOOOOOWWW..

First thing. Yes we offer free luggage storage. This is indented for guests to leave luggage during the day after checkout and before they fly. Yes we have a policy clearly posted on the door of the luggage room and indicated on the sign in sheet when you book in that if you leave luggage without arrangement for more than 2 weeks we will donate it to a local childrens home.

So that said your situation.
1. Your boyfriend not you stays with us along with his friend.
2. After a few days we see him on our CCTV system stealing 4 laptops and wallets from other guests.
3. The police are called and charge him.
4. Your boyfriend leaves saying his luggage will be picked up the day after. He says he will pay his outstanding bill at the same time.
5. We hear nothing for 2 months.
6. You then email us asking for his luggage.
7. We say yes come and get it and give us the money he owes us.
8. Nothing happens , no one shows up.
9. We hear nothing for another month.
10. We are still storing the luggage free of charge.
11. You email asking for the luggage again and again never show up
12. After nearly 4 months and our bill still not being paid we give up and donate the luggage to the local childrens home as per our policy.
13. Two weeks later you show up with your boyfriend and the police accusing us of stealing your belongings. When we explain what happened the police leave. You swear a lot and make a spectacle of yourself in the street because the police have left.
14. You post lies on Trip Advisor about us stealing your boyfriends second hand clothes.

So there you go. Need anything clearer? You still owe us money by the way.
Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed here as a group of seven people from Namibia and the place is just great! As the leader of the group i had to make sure that all are safe and comfortable and Cape Town Backpackers is just that place!!! The staff are just fantastic and genuinely interested in your well being. We walked anywhere and everywhere in the city and came back knowing we will receive a warm welcome. It is always clean and well maintained. Thank you for accommodating us, we will always remember your kindness!!

Room Tip: 'Some rooms on the upper floor have big windows which you can keep open during warm nights"
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hi, It was great having you guys stay. I hope you found the exhibition useful and you come again next year. I'll make sure I come and see you next time I'm in the Kaprivi, sorry Zambezi area ;) ! Thanks again. Andy
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here as a single woman travelling alone in late February 2014. The best thing about this place is the staff. They are super friendly and helpful with travel plans. The front desk is open all night so you can feel more comfortable coming home late, not that I did. The place is clean and in a quiet location off the main drag, which was important to me, The long street strip is only a 7 minute walk, and there are several grocery stores with ready made sandwiches and salad bars near by. I highly recommend cape town backpackers.

Room Tip: room number 9 I sweet, private bath and a little balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank nycrobin10
AndyCTBP, Owner at Cape Town Backpackers, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hey, Thanks for the review, and super thanks for the comments about the staff! I'll let them know, its great when someone takes the time to notice what a good job they actually do. Thank you. Andy :)
's-Gravenzande, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Cape Town Backpackers is at a great location near Long Street and Kloof Street, and not at the noice of Long Street itself. The staff is great and helps with everything, like tours, bookings, advice, etc. I had a good twin room. Cleaning of the room and change of linnen was forgotten, but I asked for it and it was done next day. The breakfast is great.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ArnoNL2014
Hi Arno. Thanks for the review, it was great having you stay, I know Mark really enjoyed chatting with you. See you next time. Andy