“Great Experience. Above and beyond what we expected”
Review of Shark Zone

Shark Zone
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For a memorable and unique Cape Town adventure, nothing can be more exhilarating than a cage diving and surface viewing tour to meet the mighty great white shark. One of the few places in the world where white sharks can be observed regularly at any time of the year, Gansbaai is known as the shark diving capital of the world. The watery habitat of the apex predator is not glamorous and this tour is highly weather dependent - this is mother nature at her most temperamental and raw; only when you see your first flash of steely grey sliding purposefully towards the boat, will you understand the magnetic beauty of the great white shark. Indescribable. No previous diving experience is necessary to enter the cage and everything you will need to fully enjoy the tour is provided, from your meals, to your dive equipment and even the convenient and comfy shuttle that Shark Zone can provide to get you there. As Cape Town's #1 booking agent for great white shark tours, Shark Zone will make sure you get the best deal, hassle-free!
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We booked a cage dive with Shark Zone in mid November 2012 and the overall experience was great. We drove ourselves so can't comment on the transportation. They provided a decent breakfast (certainly more food and variety than expected). We then headed out. There were 14 people on our boat and the cage fits 6 people so there were three different groups. The crew was great - very friendly and helpful. They had enough wetsuits and snorkel masks for everyone. They also allowed everyone the opportunity to go into the cage twice. Not that it's in their control, but there were seven sharks during our trip, with the largest being ~4 meters (12 feet). After the dive they even slowed the boat when they found some whales so we could all get pics. We ended the adventure with some lunch as we watched the video they made of the day. Overall, it was a very enjoyable and pleasant experience. This is the only time we've ever been shark diving so I can't compare them to other companies, but I would highly recommend Shark Zone. Everything was professional, enjoyable and better than we had expected. 5 stars!

3  Thank LilChiefBW
There are newer reviews for Shark Zone

Reviewed 22 January 2012

I went on the shark cage diving trip with Shark Zone. It was a very early start as we had to be out on the water by 7.00 when the sharks feeding time is! We left Cape Town around four in the morning and travelled to Gansbaai the shark capital of the world.
I went with my younger sister who was on hoildays visiting me, it was more a trip for her than me as she was determined to see the sharks up close before she went home to Ireland. I was quite aprehensive about the whole thing, especially the point when you have to cimb into the cage! But the diving instructor who was on board was so calming and reassuring that I got in. And what an experience it was. When the shark swam right past our cage it was a surreal experience. I would recommend the trip to anyone. Afterwards we were able to buy the DVD which had some great underwater shots of the sharks close encounters to the cage.
We had also brought our own camera, a Canon 600D on which we got some great shots. We were then picked up and dropped right outside our accomodation. After a few days when I went to get the camera to show the photos to friends I realised that the camera was missing. I was in shock and realised in my tiredness I had left my camera on the bus that had transported us back from the shark cage diving. I rang the owner Vincent to see if by any chance the camera had been found. To my utter delight and surprise Vincent told me that the driver had found my camera on the bus and had left it with him. As there was no personal information with the camera they had to wait for a call to see who it was that had owned the camera. I was amazed at how honest and decent the employees of Shark Zone are. And I just want to extend my deepest graditude to them, if I ever have visitors to Cape Town again we will certainly be going shark cage diving with Shark Zone.
Thank you so much Vincent and all the team at Shark Zone :)

8  Thank ClareD82
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Shark Zone in Cape Town does an OK trip but their promise to send things like pictures later they never follow through. The organization overall of the group is pretty weak. There are lots of other providers - use one of them rather than Shark Zone.

5  Thank Professor-Traveling
SharksCapeTown, Owner at Shark Zone, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2015

Thank you for your feedback but please note that Shark Zone is not the shark cage diving operator or the company that does the filming on the boats,it is a central booking agent for shark cage diving & viewing tours throughout South Africa, and your request for the pictures was send through to the operator and the filming company in Gansbaai on several occasions.
We sincerely regret the poor service you received but it was beyond Shark Zone's control and we did all we could to accede to your request including passing on the contact details of the operator and filming company.
Yours faithfully
Stephen Frank
Shark Zone

Reviewed 18 November 2010

I went Great White Shark cage diving in South Africa last week. It was incredible! We saw 3 good sized sharks, the biggest being about 3.5ft. I was worried that I would be too scared to get in the cage but when I actually did it it felt more like being in a nature programme than anything dangerous. Also the crew were exeptionally experienced and passionate - several of them assist on real wildlife documentaries and free dive with the beasts so I felt like I was in good hands.

Tips I would give are to take sea sickness tablets and to hire a car and go and stay on the coast the night before - these are 2 things I didn't do and wished I had!

Enjoy...

6  Thank emilyafrica
Reviewed 17 November 2008

We booked our shark dive as one of the highlights of our trip to Cape Town. We were really dissapointed in the whole day.

We completely understand that shark viewing is seasonal and we didn't go at the optimal time, so we were prepared for us to not see as many sharks as in the peak season for viewing.

However, it was not the fact that we only saw three sharks that dissapointed us.

This company took on board 33 passengers when I have now found out that most other shark dive company's only take a maximum of 12 - 15.

On board, there were only 12 wetsuits and 8 pairs of goggles. Ridiculous for the amount of people on board.

We were promised drinks and nibbles and received a box of plain potato chips and nothing but ice tea. Not even any water for those that were being sea sick overboard!

The toilets didn't work and were a disgrace.

The staff couldn't have cared less weather we saw sharks or not, they were just there to get their money. It was a total sham and I would recommend booking through someone else. We were the furthest boat out to sea and the other shark dive boats were closer to shore and looked like there was more action going on on their boats, with way less people.

When we returned, lunch was supposed to be ready for us, however, we waited an extra 20 minutes for our lunch, and then they had the ordasity to charge us for a coke and a beer!! After we had spent almost 500 bucks on a crappy boat and saw 2 sharks the whole day! ....with no food or drink!

This company should be ashamed of themselves and I can't beleive they don't feel guilty for the absolute rip off day they are giving people. Not to mention the DVD they tried to charge us 30 bucks for afterwards which had nothing but a seal and a few whales on there.

Not the super adrenaline charged experience we thought we were in for.

Very dissapointing.