“home away from home”

Ranked #22 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Perth, Australia
“home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Hotel is far enough from VA not to be touristy but still only a short walk.
We felt so comfortable. Its great to start the day here & a nice place to sit back & recuperate when you get tired of the hussel bussel of tourist activities, you can enjoy an excelent cocktail or a quiet chat, the staff are very friendly. Depending on the time of year watching the sun rise from the rooftop sitting area is nice the orange glow slowly spreads onto lions head & Signal hill while you sip a great tea...I wish I was there now.

Room Tip: Try & get the upstairs room facing Lions head mountain, its quiet with a view & has more spa...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My partner & I recently stayed at Villa Zest for 5 nights. The hotel is situated on a quiet street in Greenpoint. The hotel itself is light, airy, tasteful & has a great vibe. Our room was fantastic - especially the massive king size bed! The pool/lounge area was a peaceful & relaxing haven.

The staff were BRILLIANT. They were cheerful, helpful, friendly & made great recommendations for restaurants & things to do.

The breakfast was fresh, tasty & a very decent spread was provided.

I will recommend Villa Zest to anyone I know travelling to Cape Town, it is easily one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in & I hope to return one day.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank MRNJ_ADL_AUSTRALIA
Québec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

This small and modern hotel is so well situated that you can easily walk to the V& A Waterfront.
The service, the staff, the breakfast are impeccable.
They surely deserve all the nice review and they are not taking anything for grated.
Well deserve first place in Small art deco hotel in Cap Town.
I will return there for sure.

Thanks to the friendly staff

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

This boutique hotel is a little off the beaten track but very worth it. Not that it's far away from stuff, just off the main drag and does require to go down smaller streets to get to it. It is secure, with a gate that requires you to speak to the receptionist to get in. Once inside, this place really is quite beautiful. I was sorry that I visited during the winter and didn't get to really experience it.

They upgraded me which was great. I was worried because it was a 1st floor room, but I never heard any of the other guests. The room was comfortable and spacious and the bathroom lovely. They have a pool and lounge area in the back which I wished I could have used (it was quite rainy during my stay).

In theory, there is free internet, but the company had an outage for the hotel's normal internet. The hotel was lovely enough to purchase a separate key for use during the outage. The breakfast was lovely and filling - lots of fresh everything. The same area is also the shared lounge area and very stylish!

The staff alone made the experience great - very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Great room, great hotel, great location, super-helpful staff, lovely pool-area and fantastic breakfast! If I must complain about something I would say our room was a little small and I would have prefered a real door to the bathroom rather than a glass door that had big gap on the top and bottom, but the pool was 2 seconds from the room so one could hang there if the other needed privacy :)
We walked to Waterfront in the evenings, took just 10-15 min, then took cab back when it was dark, cost 30 rand if I remember correctly.

Glossop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Cape Town was the last stop of our first holiday to South Africa. When I researched hotels in Cape Town I originally wanted a hotel on the seafront (near V&A) however the rates were ridiculous so I looked for alternatives. I read a few good reviews of the Villa Zest and decided to make a booking. We stayed for 5 nights and were extremely pleased with our choice.

The hotel was about 10 minutes walk from the V&A and also well located for central Cape Town. If you have not visited Cape Town before you should note that it is not recommended to walk around at night, so wherever you stay you will need a taxi (inexpensive) or car. There is tight security around the hotel (which was a little disconcerting until you realise that all houses/apartments and hotels are similarly protected).

The hotel staff were ever so friendly and helpful, right from booking to our stay, they were happy to make recommendations/reservations (you must try the Test Kitchen...). We briefly met the manager (he was getting married the following day!) and he explained some of the history of the hotel. The hotel/room design is really cool, we booked a studio room which was very large and had plenty of storage. Wifi was free (and fast). There was a very pleasant garden with a small swimming pool. Breakfast is included in the rate and delicious. A buffet of fresh local food, including fruit, pastries, meats, cereals etc. You can also get a cooked breakfast and I had to ask the chef what spices she put on the mushrooms. We have brought back a tub of chilli beef seasoning which I plan to use this weekend, though am sure will not taste the same...

We loved South Africa and plan to return and would choose Villa Zest again if we return to Cape Town, thanks again to all the staff.

Room Tip: Studio room was large and comfortable (I think there were two in the hotel).
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We arrived after spending the first two nights of our honeymoon in Stellenbosch. We like small hotels, lack of children ect.. The room was certainly on the small side & the misses would agree that the en-suite  could be a little more separate.. But the experience was made by the staff, could not of been more helpful, from booking our excursions and restaurants (all excellent) to general attentive service throughout.. Pool area was perfect for relaxing and all in all we had a superb time.. Like a paradise home from home..