“Please, please stay here” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Zest Boutique Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Villa Zest Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
London
“Please, please stay here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

This is honestly the first time that I have ever written a hotel review because this place is just so fantastic that I can't stop raving about it! This is most definitely the best 'service' that I have ever received in any hotel in the world and the key thing to say about this is that it feels very genuine; you feel as if you have known Des (the General Manager) and her team for years (rather than the 4 days that we actually spent there).

We were visiting friends whilst in Cape Town so we tended to do our own thing whilst there rather than booking any tours through the hotel and even when we did book tours independently, the staff were encouraging and welcomed the tour guides into the hotel to meet us and asked with interest what we had got up to when we returned rather than being irritated that we did not book through their contacts.

Our room, which is one of the smaller ones, was cosy (you would have to know your partner very well to stay in one of the ground floor rooms as there is a frosted glass door which separates the bedroom and the bathroom) but immaculate, clean and had direct access to the swimming pool which made it feel like it was all ours!

Location is good. OK it hasn't got the amazing sea views that the hotels in Camps Bay may offer, but it is a 10 minute drive to the city centre and only a short walk (which is safe during the daytime) to the Waterfront and Soccer City (where the 2010 football World cup games in Cape Town will be held).

Breakfast was great - a good range of food. No full breakfast option but the staff will happily cook up some eggs as you like them. Although they do not have a restaurant, they offer a small range of sandwiches for those days when you just cant be bothered to leave the pool.

My only criticism was that we could get wifi access in our room. However, we could access this in the outdoor area and in the breakfast room upstairs.

The hotel itself is small (only 6 rooms I think) which for us was the total draw of the place but which is potentially why one of the previous reviewers criticised the fact that the staff were not at their beck and call at every minute of the day. I would suggest that if you want this quite of hotel you go to one of the faceless, large chains in the city centre. However, if you can wait that extra five minutes for the reception team to open the gate for you, I'm sure you will think it well worth it!

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Korean first
Namibia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

I was greeted by the staff with open arms like long time friends. And that was only the beginning, Desire, the manager, was so helpful with any booking, be it dinner or daily excursions. Any problems that I would encounter, I could rely on her to 'make a plan'. And above the extraordinary helpfulness, the hotel offers the most comfortable rooms I have seen in a while. Luxurious beds gave me well deserved rest after a long day of activities. I would advise this establishment to anyone who places great emphasis on good service. Desire made my stay perfect, the rest was just an added bonus...

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
mark_m36
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful 10 day stay at Villa Zest. From the moment we booked till we left, our stay was fantastic. The service actually started as soon as we booked. Manager Desire emailed with a personal note and advised us to think about booking restaurants and trips in advance as we were staying in Cape Town at the busiest time of the year. When we arrived we were met with a warm welcome from Desire, who then introduced us to her all her staff and gave us welcome drinks. The hotel is very modern and contemporary and spotless clean. Our room was wonderful, a large bed, lovely white bedding and a modern clean bathroom. The room also has a flat screen tv, dvd player and ipod player. The room is cleaned everyday and clean towels provided. There is a lovely garden to relax in and a small pool to cool down when the weather is particularly hot. The hotel has a buzzer entry system. We found it very reassuring to know that the hotel has the safety of guests as a priority. Its never more than 10 seconds before the buzzer is answered. The breakfast/ lounge room on the second floor is a wonderfully bright room. Delicious buffet breakfasts are served everyday. There is a choice of cereal and yoghurt, lovely fresh bread and pastries with a selection of jams, a cheese and cooked meat platter, and a large platter of freshly prepared fruit. Freshly squeezed juices and coffee are also available. The staff even offer to make eggs of your choice. We have travelled the world extensively and stayed in many hotels, yet Villa Zest is by far the best service we have experienced. The staff are extremely courteous and friendly and are always on hand to offer any help or deal with any queries. They don’t treat you like guests they treat like long time friends! The service is second to none at Villa Zest and the staff go out of their way to do everything they can to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. On New Years Eve I injured my back (nothing to do with Villa Zest I might add). I needed to see an osteopath urgently which was difficult as it was the holiday season. Desire called around and managed to locate an osteopath who unfortunately was fully booked and was unable to see me until Jan 3rd. Desire than called a local hospital explained my situation and managed to secure me an appointment on the same day! She did this is a calm and professional manner while dealing with other guests. I cannot thank her enough, without my hospital appointment I would have been laid up in bed on New Years Eve. We would thoroughly recommend Villa Zest to anyone visiting Cape Town. It is conveniently located to the V&A waterfront and nearby restaurants, cafes and shops. Miss K’s Café is 5 minutes from Villa Zest and has wonderful salads, sandwiches and cakes. We look forward to returning to Villa Zest later in the year.
Mark and Mike, London.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

Well located for my purposes. Overall a nicely designed hotel with loads of light and a well kept garden. 24 hour staff, a healthy breakfast , excellent (third party) car service and an extremely accommodating staff make the hotel a great place to stay as a serious alternative to the annoyances of the big hotels. The staff were so pleasant, I felt like I was apart of a family during my stay, which made being on business for an extended period bearable and fun. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

We stayed at Villa Zest as a group of 5 for 3 nights. The accommodation was nice - although a few of the rooms did have interesting toilet placements. All the staff where very helpful and more then happy to help. Desire (manager) is probably the most helpful hotel manager I have ever spoken with, and she was a pleasure to talk to about all our arrangements prior to getting there. Breakfasts where good - very healthy and enough choice for most people. The location of the hotel is possibly the only negative. The hotel itself is a very nice building, but the surrounding ones leave a lot to be desired. Also the view from the lounge area into the adjacent buildings bathroom is a bit of a let down. All in all though, a good place to base yourself from to explore Cape Town.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gpbSydney
manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

The Villa Zest is in a class of its own and more than just a "hotel." We felt that we were staying at the home of a good friend and the "staff" are his family who are warm, smart, caring, charming, and genuinely lovely people with great style too. Our delightful experience began before we arrived as they sent us excellent tour/spa information and menus to select restaurants which they reserved for us. By the time that we arrived, we instinctly hugged them as old friends after exchanging so many e-mails for our itinerary even though we were meeting in person for the first time! Their taste is impeccable and I don't just mean the trendy design of the hotel or the "zest" in their decor but also in their selection of their brilliant associates which included Catherine Dillion's wine tour and Alan Gallant's tours of Cape Point and a safari. My friend and I both remarked to each other how we had so many intelligent conversations during our week at Villa Zest and in our tours plus we laughed a lot too as we do. While I have travelled the world for over thirty years and stayed at thousands of hotels, this is the first time that I have written a review as the Villa Zest is truly unique and in a class beyond all others in its gracious hospitality. My only hesitation in writing this review is that the secret is now out and it will make it more difficult to get a reservation at the often fully booked Villa Zest!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

I recently spent 3 nights at Villa Zest and was frankly underwhelmed. The property is nice and well maintained but the surrounding buildings and lack of a significant view are a let down. Having to be buzzed in and out of the hotel every time is also a pain. The staff are at times difficult to find around the property and can appear hidden behind the front desk. The breakfast is nothing special and I was suprised that the cook did not know how to prepare poached eggs. Evening turn down service was erratic and the in room coffee supplies were not properly replenished. Also, there is no shower by the pool. On the plus side, the staff are uniformly plesant and helpful but this really is more of a guest house than boutique hotel and as such is way over priced.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo