“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Istanbul
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I chose villa Zest because of the %100 five star reviews.We were not disappointed.
We stayed only three nights at the end of our trip to Mauritius and Reunion.
İn summary ,first I apologise for forgetting the names of the beautiful ladys except
General Manager Mme Desire.
We were collected at the airport very friendly 20 minutes later we were met with a smile
and given a drink and taken one of the rooms at the garden...Spacious,clean,comfortable,and has everything you could possibly need.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful,they suggest us Mr.Mark Van DEVENTER,
very well-informed and kind guide to visit a Cap of the Good Hope.I recommend him for
every futur travellers.
Breakfast was nice,yummy and delicious with fresh fruits and eggs cooked to the order.
Finally the place,We walked from to the hotel to the water front where the restaurants,bars,cafes exist,in 10 minutes easily.
So thanks go to Mme Desire and her Collegues and everyone at this formidable place.
We hope to see you again in a few years.
Nur-Mehmet

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
murphyjetlag
Reviewed 13 January 2010

On a month-long trip through Africa, this was hands-down one of the best hotels that we encountered; actually fled a mediocre hotel that we were previously booked into in Cape Town and couldn't have found a better landing than this one. If you're a fan of the more upscale boutique hotels in Palm Springs, California or Miami Beach, Florida, this is the hotel for you.

Located on a quiet residential street (but no more than a 10 minute walk to World Cup Soccer stadium or de Waterkant district - opposite directions - and an aprox. 20 minute walk to the funky shopping on Long Street), the understated white exterior might mislead you to believe it's a private home or small apt. building, so walking through the front doors is a delightful surprise.

Inside you'll find gleaming (and I mean GLEAMING) floors, the friendliest staff you could ever find, a stylish and hip 60's-style interior, lovely outside space with pool and green area, night-time fires in the ultra-hip fire pit, and an unbelievably cool lounge area (also where the included breakfast is served) on the 2nd floor.

One of the first things that you'll do is meet with the exceptional manager Desire who gives you tips on where to go in Cape Town and what to see. Nothing is too trouble for her or her staff - restaurant reservations, taxi, tours, wine country hotel reservations, etc. She is hands-down one of the most impressive (and fun) managers with whom I've dealt. And frankly, I'm not sure what the hotel would do without her. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she were recruited away to another hotel - she's that good.

A huge nod, as well, to the fantastic staff and the incredibly sweet Prof. They all made me feel like I was staying in someone's really lovely (and outrageously hip) home. Whatever the owner Kevin is paying them simply is not enough; I stayed in five different hotels while in Cape Town and I seriously challenge you to find a more concerned, dedicated and friendly staff in that city.

Now the rooms:

* Best rooms are the three facing the pool/garden area (two on first floor and one on second). These are the superior suites. The hotel is a bit on the pricey side but I'd still splurge for one of these rooms.

* I would not recommend the room on the first floor that is next to the steps and reception desk; it can be quite loud in the morning, is dark (window looks onto a gate and the house next door) and quite small.

* There are two rooms on the ground floor - one is right next to the pool and the other overlooks the garden. Both are quite nice. Only issue is that they are not "connected" to the hotel (you walk down the exterior back steps to get to the garden and then to your room) and so essentially you're locked out of the hotel unless you call reception. The wi-fi signal was not available in the room but it does work outside by the pool and all other parts of the hotel.

The only things I would change would be for the hotel to free wi-fi (really, why not?) + a public computer w/printer in the lounge, heat the pool all year round and offer a wider variety of room snack options. But none of those things would prevent me from staying there.

All in all, an exceptional experience. Highly recommended.

-----------

If anyone would is planning a first visit to Cape Town and would like a heads-up on some interesting things to see, feel free to drop me a line!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
South Africa
Reviewed 9 January 2010

To start with, the staff were absolutely incredible. I was warmly welcomed from the moment I arrived by Jean-Marie and Desire and even the house keeping staff Unaty and Shirley were friendly and helpful . My room was immaculate and comfortable. There is a great pool to relax at - and the staff will even bring you wine and snacks to enjoy while lounging at the pool with your book. I loved the upstairs breakfast area and lounge which had roof to floor windows/doors which they open to let in the fresh air. The guest house is located close to the new 2010 soccer stadium (Greenpoint) and everything is easily accessible. The shopping complex Cape Quarters is within walking distance with some great restaurants and boutique shops.

Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 8 January 2010

This is honestly the first time that I have ever written a hotel review because this place is just so fantastic that I can't stop raving about it! This is most definitely the best 'service' that I have ever received in any hotel in the world and the key thing to say about this is that it feels very genuine; you feel as if you have known Des (the General Manager) and her team for years (rather than the 4 days that we actually spent there).

We were visiting friends whilst in Cape Town so we tended to do our own thing whilst there rather than booking any tours through the hotel and even when we did book tours independently, the staff were encouraging and welcomed the tour guides into the hotel to meet us and asked with interest what we had got up to when we returned rather than being irritated that we did not book through their contacts.

Our room, which is one of the smaller ones, was cosy (you would have to know your partner very well to stay in one of the ground floor rooms as there is a frosted glass door which separates the bedroom and the bathroom) but immaculate, clean and had direct access to the swimming pool which made it feel like it was all ours!

Location is good. OK it hasn't got the amazing sea views that the hotels in Camps Bay may offer, but it is a 10 minute drive to the city centre and only a short walk (which is safe during the daytime) to the Waterfront and Soccer City (where the 2010 football World cup games in Cape Town will be held).

Breakfast was great - a good range of food. No full breakfast option but the staff will happily cook up some eggs as you like them. Although they do not have a restaurant, they offer a small range of sandwiches for those days when you just cant be bothered to leave the pool.

My only criticism was that we could get wifi access in our room. However, we could access this in the outdoor area and in the breakfast room upstairs.

The hotel itself is small (only 6 rooms I think) which for us was the total draw of the place but which is potentially why one of the previous reviewers criticised the fact that the staff were not at their beck and call at every minute of the day. I would suggest that if you want this quite of hotel you go to one of the faceless, large chains in the city centre. However, if you can wait that extra five minutes for the reception team to open the gate for you, I'm sure you will think it well worth it!

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Namibia
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I was greeted by the staff with open arms like long time friends. And that was only the beginning, Desire, the manager, was so helpful with any booking, be it dinner or daily excursions. Any problems that I would encounter, I could rely on her to 'make a plan'. And above the extraordinary helpfulness, the hotel offers the most comfortable rooms I have seen in a while. Luxurious beds gave me well deserved rest after a long day of activities. I would advise this establishment to anyone who places great emphasis on good service. Desire made my stay perfect, the rest was just an added bonus...

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
mark_m36
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful 10 day stay at Villa Zest. From the moment we booked till we left, our stay was fantastic. The service actually started as soon as we booked. Manager Desire emailed with a personal note and advised us to think about booking restaurants and trips in advance as we were staying in Cape Town at the busiest time of the year. When we arrived we were met with a warm welcome from Desire, who then introduced us to her all her staff and gave us welcome drinks. The hotel is very modern and contemporary and spotless clean. Our room was wonderful, a large bed, lovely white bedding and a modern clean bathroom. The room also has a flat screen tv, dvd player and ipod player. The room is cleaned everyday and clean towels provided. There is a lovely garden to relax in and a small pool to cool down when the weather is particularly hot. The hotel has a buzzer entry system. We found it very reassuring to know that the hotel has the safety of guests as a priority. Its never more than 10 seconds before the buzzer is answered. The breakfast/ lounge room on the second floor is a wonderfully bright room. Delicious buffet breakfasts are served everyday. There is a choice of cereal and yoghurt, lovely fresh bread and pastries with a selection of jams, a cheese and cooked meat platter, and a large platter of freshly prepared fruit. Freshly squeezed juices and coffee are also available. The staff even offer to make eggs of your choice. We have travelled the world extensively and stayed in many hotels, yet Villa Zest is by far the best service we have experienced. The staff are extremely courteous and friendly and are always on hand to offer any help or deal with any queries. They don’t treat you like guests they treat like long time friends! The service is second to none at Villa Zest and the staff go out of their way to do everything they can to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. On New Years Eve I injured my back (nothing to do with Villa Zest I might add). I needed to see an osteopath urgently which was difficult as it was the holiday season. Desire called around and managed to locate an osteopath who unfortunately was fully booked and was unable to see me until Jan 3rd. Desire than called a local hospital explained my situation and managed to secure me an appointment on the same day! She did this is a calm and professional manner while dealing with other guests. I cannot thank her enough, without my hospital appointment I would have been laid up in bed on New Years Eve. We would thoroughly recommend Villa Zest to anyone visiting Cape Town. It is conveniently located to the V&A waterfront and nearby restaurants, cafes and shops. Miss K’s Café is 5 minutes from Villa Zest and has wonderful salads, sandwiches and cakes. We look forward to returning to Villa Zest later in the year.
Mark and Mike, London.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Well located for my purposes. Overall a nicely designed hotel with loads of light and a well kept garden. 24 hour staff, a healthy breakfast , excellent (third party) car service and an extremely accommodating staff make the hotel a great place to stay as a serious alternative to the annoyances of the big hotels. The staff were so pleasant, I felt like I was apart of a family during my stay, which made being on business for an extended period bearable and fun. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business