“Over-priced and over-rated”

Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Manchester
“Over-priced and over-rated”
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I booked Villa Zest after reading the good reviews on TripAdvisor. The location is ok, walkable distance to The V&A Waterfront.
I was rather disappointed. The room was a good size, nicely furnished and decorated but the layout was very odd. The bedroom was completely open-plan with the bathroom and there was absolutely no privacy when you are doing your personal activities.... I suspect not to everyone's liking!!
Also, no fridge in the room and it would have been nice to at least have some complimentary water in the room especially for the price you are paying. Breakfast was adequate and continental style, but they could make eggs if you asked.
Having to be buzzed in and out of the building got a bit annoying.

On the positive side, the staff tried to be helpful and made reservations for you eg restaurants. Unfortunately for us, they totally messed up our booking for the Robben Island Ferry trip and we missed the opportunity to go. Normally I make all bookings myself, but since they offered to do it for us, I reluctantly agreed which was a big mistake. This was the last part of our trip to South Africa on our last day in Cape Town and I was very disappointed that we didn't make it to Robben Island.

Overall, for the price fell below expectations.

(Recommend restaurants Baluga, Baia and Africa Cafe. Make reservations and for Robben island ferry 2-3days in advance.)

1 Thank HoneySmurf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Prague
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Great mix of design and service. Very good location. Super price/value ratio. Will come again. Petr & Klara from the Czech Republic

North Carolina
Reviewed 23 March 2010

One of the nicest places we've stayed at. The friendliness and "can do" attitude of the entire staff are unsurpassed. The rooms are oversized, nicely decorated, and extremely clean. Breakfast is a lavish affair, with fresh fruit, pastries and eggs to order. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was a great start to our vacation.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Having heard both good and bad news about South Africa I was bit wary of taking my partner on our first deserved holiday outside of Europe. After terrible delay due to snow, we finally arrived in the sunny country of South Africa.

We shocked at how organised the airport was and at not having lost ANY of our luggage. We were picked up on our time by our chaffeur and whisked off in style to Villa Zest.

The pictures and ratings of this cosy little hotel were great but WOW what a surprise! Such a warm welcome by Jean, Alex and their team - everything was just perfect. The room, the layout, the service; they were always one step ahead and expected our every need. And the breakfast! Only continental though, but always an interesting selection every day!

Everything was just perfect! Only bad side is having to ring doorbell if you accidentally forgot something in your room!

Definitely go here again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2010

A great little spot that is almost impossible to fault. A very friendly team from the reception staff to the ladies who prepare breakfast and make the rooms up. Nice and airy, great location, nice little pool and garden. I will definitely stay here again when I'm in Cape Town and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to others. It's great to see a small hotel getting all the details right. They seem to have worked hard launching this place over the last year and a bit and their dedication shows.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
brussels
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Staff is very welcoming and helpful. As mentioned in the other reviews, the rooms were immaculate. I'm usually pretty hard to please when it comes to cleanliness -- this hotel beat all expectations.

The pool was a great place to unwind. Breakfast was filling and they arranged to have something for me early when I needed it. They will organize a light sandwich or snack for lunch, but the hotel doesn't have a restaurant. I was there six nights and didn't want to go out every night after work -- the staff were helpful in ordering something for me through a local delivery service. Otherwise, they recommended nearby restaurants that I could walk too.

If I could have changed my flight, I would have stayed longer. I didn't want to leave. I'll definitely stay there next time in Cape Town.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Arlington, MA, USA
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Two US couples spent 4 nights then returned for a fifth. Staff is highly enthusiastic and ready to assist. Small scale has a cozy feel. Rooms clean, efficient, well laid out.
Location away from high vehicle traffic but waterfront and shops 15 minute walk. Breakfast a treat.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple