“Nice, but More Like a Guesthouse”

Villa Zest Boutique Hotel
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Taipei
“Nice, but More Like a Guesthouse”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This place is very nice, and I found my room comfortable and quiet (although I am not sure if everyone likes an open-plan bathroom, as is so common in newer hotels these days). The staff is friendly, but they might not be able to help you at night if you have some big issue (the previous poster is not off the mark on several points, incl. the hype factor). The last day I was there, I heard someone in the office arguing very loudly with a tour company--very unprofessional. The breakfast is nice, but one morning it did seem to be picked over and not replenished.

I am not sure why this is called a hotel, when it is actually a guest house. Maybe because of zoning requirements or some other law? Who knows? It is pretty expensive compared to many other places around town, but then again, if you want to stay at a place with no kids running around, this is it. It also has free Internet, something many hotels in South Africa charge dearly for. With a name like Villa Zest it obviously caters to more of the velvet mafia crowd.

The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants and nice shopping, but the neighborhood might be a little too "up and coming" for everyone's tastes. There are some very aggressive panhandlers down the street--even at 8 in the morning.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank tulipjones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We stayed at Villa Zest at the beginning of 2010 and feel that all the positive reviews on tripadvisor over-hype this place considerably. A few comments following our stay:

1. We booked the “suite”. Unfortunately this just means a bit more floor space and not a separate seating area in the room as you would expect.
2. The ensuite bathrooms are not separate rooms, just extensions of the bedroom! Not suitable if you prefer to do a wee in private.
3. Located one street away from the Red Light District so expect to find scantily clad ladies walking around after 6pm looking for customers!
4. The hotel is in what we would consider to be an “up and coming” area and as such this very chic hotel looks somewhat out of place.
5. Staff are friendly but there is a desperate shortage of them! We arrived at the hotel early in the evening after a long flight and there was only one member of staff at the hotel. She was busy looking after dinner reservations for the other guests and so we had to wait to check-in. Also at times we experienced a lack of professionalism when reservations were not cancelled as we had requested and we had some issues with the car hire, which in the end we sorted out ourselves. Also, if there is a problem with your room, hope that it is not at night. We wanted some extra towels and had a problem with our in-room safe. In the end, the night porter had to get extra towels from another guest room (thankfully the hotel was not fully booked) and we had to use the safe in this same (spare) room until the problem was resolved the next day.
6. The pool is small...don’t expect to burn off last night’s dinner by swimming some lengths...more a big pond for lazing in!
7. Breakfast was nice but make sure you arrive on time! “We serve breakfast whenever you want” is not quite true: A couple of times we arrived and the fruit was pretty much gone and also the pastries...three rooms are just off the dining area and we saw a couple of the guys sneaking out, grabbing the best stuff and scurrying away! This is fine if the supplies are replenished but they are not.
8. Staff are very accommodating and helpful. Roof terrace is lovely but it can get quite windy up there!
9. Nicely decorated, new, clean. However, definitely should be classed as a guest house and not a “boutique hotel”.

All in all not bad, but not real value-for-money and not worthy of all these rave reviews.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank London_user
VillaZest, Owner at Villa Zest Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2010
The Villa Zest team was deeply saddened at this review and it in no way reflects the personal service and attention we give to each and every one of our guests to make their Cape Town stay the best it can be.

It should be noted that it took around 8 months for this review to be posted. We are very disturbed at the comment that we are located one street from a red light district, as this is simply not true. In fact, the new 2010 World Cup Stadium was strategically located in our neighborhood, Green Point, due to its excellent up market retail, restaurant, and accommodation infrastructure as well as its proximity to the V & A Waterfront. That said, and in contrast to the written review, we were given 4 stars for location and 4 stars for service in the "My ratings for this hotel" section.

As the owner of the Villa Zest, in my previous career, I traveled extensively and the Villa Zest is the culmination of everything I wanted in a small hotel while away from home. One simple example is that we gladly serve our guests breakfast when they are ready and not at some specified time. We invite you to enjoy our hospitality. Your Villa Zest team.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I had a fantastic time in Cape Town during the World Cup but I will always remember my visit for my stay at Villa Zest. It's a beautiful boutqiue hotel in a quiet street, just off the main street in the Green Point area, which is close to the waterfront. Cafes, restaurants, delis and a mini supermarket were just around the corner. The staff and management were fantastic and they couldn't have done more for me. My room was of five star quality and spotless. It felt more like being at home. Breakfast upstairs or at pool side was a delight. The city centre is just a 10 minute walk which I did every day. I can't wait to return and I will definitely be staying at Villa Zest.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
UAE
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Villa Zest for four nights during the FIFA world cup June 2010. The staff could not do enough to help and had great inside knowledge of where to go . The breakfast was a fantastic start to the day and nothing was to much trouble for the girls working in the kitchen. The booking process was really easy and considering the world cup was on it was good value for money. There are some very good bars and eateries close by and the V+A Waterfront is a ten minute stroll away.. I would stay again next time im in Cape town

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed for 6 nights during the World Cup.

Great Location:We didn't realise what a great location Villa Zest is in - walking disctance to the V&A waterfront, easy to get to the town centre but in a quiet side street away from the bustle and noise of traffic.

Great People:All the staff are extremely helpful - we felt as if we were at home. Breakfast when you are ready is a bonus.

Great Time: The hotel arranged for us to have a private tour of the Townships which was something we really wanted to do and was a special trip. There is so much to do in Cape Town and you can pre book tours before you go with Villa Zest as we did.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My sister and I recently returned from a fantastic trip to South Africa. During our four day stay in Cape Town we had an excellent time thanks to the knowledgeable and friendly staff at Villa Zest. Each night they set us up with dinner reservations at wonderful restaurants. They also set us up with an incredible tour guide. The accommodations are first rate. Modern, clean, safe and conveniently located near the water front. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Cape Town. You will not be disappointed!!

Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Sunset Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed 21 May 2010

I have been to Cape Town before and love the Green Point area. I wanted a cool place, slightly away from traffic, but close enough to everything, that I could walk to restaurants, clubs and shopping. I also wanted somewhere that was not stoggy, but had a little bit of edge to it. The Villa Zest hit a home run in all categories. Only a handful of rooms, all very neat and ourfitted very cool. Very hip decore, with a modern retro emphasis.
The staff was truly the best! Ultra knowledgeable about the going on's in the Cape and whether doing the usual tourist stuff, or the latest in clubs or dining, they had all the answers! The owner, Kevin knows this town really well and will direct you in the right direction, no matter what your taste. The working staff were also wonderful and attended to all our needs, when ever we needed it!
All in all, I have stayed in a variety of lodging in and around the Cape and this was hands down the best yet. It get's a hearty thumb's UP!
Randy & Jacque Rarick, Sunset Beach, North Shore, Hawaii