“Chic and trendy”

Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Amesbury, United Kingdom
“Chic and trendy”
Reviewed 21 October 2010

A very chic and trendy hotel in a quiet suburb of Cape town, ten minutes walk to the waterfront. A good choice for breakfast and served till late in the morning, a cold buffet with eggs etc. cooked to order. A lap top is available in the lounge for personal use and free of charge.
A fabulous outside terrace and swimming pool with a great roof top terrace is provided a shame the weather did not permit us to use it during our stay, Illana the manager was always on hand to answer questions and book taxis etc. If you are in Cape town stay here you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Korean first
Manchester
Reviewed 17 October 2010

II think it fair to start this review by pointing out that we had been somewhat spoilt in the other places we had stayed on our trip to South Africa, so Villa Zest had quite a lot to live up to. I think it is actually a great little B&B, but it does bill itself as a boutique hotel, which I personally think is a bit inaccurate, and I do feel that the prices reflect its aspirations, rather than the reality.

The location of the hotel is good, a 15 minute walk to the waterfront, but I think if we went again we would just stay at the waterfront. It is on a nice quiet road though and there is plenty of parking if you have a car.

The hotel is very funky inside and the interior design is lovely. There is a huge amount of space for a small number of rooms, with two of the three floors (including a roof top terrace) as well as huge pool and sun deck area devoted to guests. The room was very nice, if not a little compact, and you have to be pretty familiar with your fellow guest as there is no separate bathroom, with the bath/shower and basins in the bedroom.

We found the staff to be very helpful, but a little disorganised - breakfast is supposedly from 'around 8' (which I think is quite late anyway) - if you turn up at 8, dont expect to get served - we waited for at least 15 minutes and then when we did ask for some eggs, they had to go and buy them from the shops! Not really what I would expect from somewhere that charges the prices they do. My biggest frustration is the fact that they booked us a trip on the day we were due to check out. They told us we were to be picked up at 8.30 and therefore we would need to have breakfast at 8, but when we turned up on time no one was around so we ended up missing most of our meal so we could go on our trip. I also had to pester the woman to find out if we needed to check out - all in all quite a stressful experience.

Villa Zest is not a bad place to stay, but in such a competitive market as Cape Town, and with such prices, I am not sure such service is sustainable.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I loved Villa Zest and I highly recommend it. Everything was really well designed. The staff was amazing - they took great care of us, attending to all of our needs. I was incredibly impressed with their attention to detail and to us. Everything about my stay at Villa Zest was perfect. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 September 2010

The first word that comes to mind when I think of my stay at Villa Zest is SPECTACULAR. Illana Graff the General Manager could not be more accommodating, you are greeted with a warm smile and a hearty South African hello. Her staff is wonderful, and clearly well trained, from the night door man to the chef and cleaning crew everyone has your comfort and care foremost in mind. But it really doesn’t start there. When you first enter the front door your senses are immediately placed at ease with the very inviting, clean and contemporary decor. Illana will, with great pride, give you a tour that includes the amazingly appointed courtyard with beautiful pool and lounge chairs, that are not just set out but even there every detail, every line is accounted for to make it the most relaxing place to spend an hour or an afternoon. When I needed a shirt pressed, no problem Mr. Hart, when I wanted a late breakfast, no problem Mr. Hart, when I needed my guests to be greeted, no problem Mr. Hart. In the main hallway you will be treated to a 1970's collection of vintage gadgets that will remind some of their childhood and will be a curiosity for others, but you will immediately know, care and thought was given to this collection. Still further you are shown upstairs to the wonderful lounge and breakfast service area that is relaxing and very functional with flat screen TV and computer for your use. Wait, not done yet, the roof top terrace is not to be missed. But the real treat is your bedroom, with every single detail from Egyptian cotton sheets right down to the selection of the toiletries (that I can only imagine how much thought was put into), everything works together for the most comfortable and relaxing stay you can imagine. Bottom line for Villa Zest is that it is one of the best places I have stayed both in service and in facilities, and I will be back, soon I hope!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank tedhart
Taipei
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This place is very nice, and I found my room comfortable and quiet (although I am not sure if everyone likes an open-plan bathroom, as is so common in newer hotels these days). The staff is friendly, but they might not be able to help you at night if you have some big issue (the previous poster is not off the mark on several points, incl. the hype factor). The last day I was there, I heard someone in the office arguing very loudly with a tour company--very unprofessional. The breakfast is nice, but one morning it did seem to be picked over and not replenished.

I am not sure why this is called a hotel, when it is actually a guest house. Maybe because of zoning requirements or some other law? Who knows? It is pretty expensive compared to many other places around town, but then again, if you want to stay at a place with no kids running around, this is it. It also has free Internet, something many hotels in South Africa charge dearly for. With a name like Villa Zest it obviously caters to more of the velvet mafia crowd.

The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants and nice shopping, but the neighborhood might be a little too "up and coming" for everyone's tastes. There are some very aggressive panhandlers down the street--even at 8 in the morning.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank tulipjones
London
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We stayed at Villa Zest at the beginning of 2010 and feel that all the positive reviews on tripadvisor over-hype this place considerably. A few comments following our stay:

1. We booked the “suite”. Unfortunately this just means a bit more floor space and not a separate seating area in the room as you would expect.
2. The ensuite bathrooms are not separate rooms, just extensions of the bedroom! Not suitable if you prefer to do a wee in private.
3. Located one street away from the Red Light District so expect to find scantily clad ladies walking around after 6pm looking for customers!
4. The hotel is in what we would consider to be an “up and coming” area and as such this very chic hotel looks somewhat out of place.
5. Staff are friendly but there is a desperate shortage of them! We arrived at the hotel early in the evening after a long flight and there was only one member of staff at the hotel. She was busy looking after dinner reservations for the other guests and so we had to wait to check-in. Also at times we experienced a lack of professionalism when reservations were not cancelled as we had requested and we had some issues with the car hire, which in the end we sorted out ourselves. Also, if there is a problem with your room, hope that it is not at night. We wanted some extra towels and had a problem with our in-room safe. In the end, the night porter had to get extra towels from another guest room (thankfully the hotel was not fully booked) and we had to use the safe in this same (spare) room until the problem was resolved the next day.
6. The pool is small...don’t expect to burn off last night’s dinner by swimming some lengths...more a big pond for lazing in!
7. Breakfast was nice but make sure you arrive on time! “We serve breakfast whenever you want” is not quite true: A couple of times we arrived and the fruit was pretty much gone and also the pastries...three rooms are just off the dining area and we saw a couple of the guys sneaking out, grabbing the best stuff and scurrying away! This is fine if the supplies are replenished but they are not.
8. Staff are very accommodating and helpful. Roof terrace is lovely but it can get quite windy up there!
9. Nicely decorated, new, clean. However, definitely should be classed as a guest house and not a “boutique hotel”.

All in all not bad, but not real value-for-money and not worthy of all these rave reviews.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank London_user
VillaZest, Owner at Villa Zest Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2010
The Villa Zest team was deeply saddened at this review and it in no way reflects the personal service and attention we give to each and every one of our guests to make their Cape Town stay the best it can be.

It should be noted that it took around 8 months for this review to be posted. We are very disturbed at the comment that we are located one street from a red light district, as this is simply not true. In fact, the new 2010 World Cup Stadium was strategically located in our neighborhood, Green Point, due to its excellent up market retail, restaurant, and accommodation infrastructure as well as its proximity to the V & A Waterfront. That said, and in contrast to the written review, we were given 4 stars for location and 4 stars for service in the "My ratings for this hotel" section.

As the owner of the Villa Zest, in my previous career, I traveled extensively and the Villa Zest is the culmination of everything I wanted in a small hotel while away from home. One simple example is that we gladly serve our guests breakfast when they are ready and not at some specified time. We invite you to enjoy our hospitality. Your Villa Zest team.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I had a fantastic time in Cape Town during the World Cup but I will always remember my visit for my stay at Villa Zest. It's a beautiful boutqiue hotel in a quiet street, just off the main street in the Green Point area, which is close to the waterfront. Cafes, restaurants, delis and a mini supermarket were just around the corner. The staff and management were fantastic and they couldn't have done more for me. My room was of five star quality and spotless. It felt more like being at home. Breakfast upstairs or at pool side was a delight. The city centre is just a 10 minute walk which I did every day. I can't wait to return and I will definitely be staying at Villa Zest.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo