I was disappointed by my experience at the Cape Town Hotel. We chose it because it was very safe (a five-minute walk from the V&A Waterfront). It was good from that regard, and the rooms are beautifully appointed. However, there were a number of drawbacks. Because it is an old building, there is little soundproofing. We were staying over a public holiday and weekend and the music playing every night at the Waterfront was very loud in our room. Also, the water tanks (there is a separate one for each room) are ridiculously small. The hot water in our shower ran out partway through one shower, let alone having enough water for another shower. They weren't particularly long showers, either - we got a note of apology from the manager which mentioned that they had had problems if someone had a full bath and a shower, but we didn't have a bath at all, let alone a full one! There were also other non-five star touches, such as the amenities (like soap) not being replaced when used.
We were also unhappy with some aspects of the service. Checkin and out are done in your room - when we checked out it required a total of five phone calls to get someone to come and do the checkout process and to pick up our luggage. At 4.30 am and anxious to get to the airport, this was an aggravation we did not need.
Had this been a three-star hotel, I wouldn't have expected anything different. But the Dock House is listed as five star and is certainly expensive enough to be one. It just wasn't up to this standard. On my stay I noticed plenty of other hotels a safe distance from the Waterfront. On my next trip one of those will be getting my business.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cape Town address that is suited perfectly to your needs. Dock House Boutique Hotel & Spa is a unique and opulent jewel in the crown of Cape Town's glamorous, world-famous Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, offering discerning guests, visiting dignitaries and celebrities exclusive accommodation and personalised yet unobtrusive butler-style service in an excellent world-class setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Dock House Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dock House Hotel Cape Town Central
- Dock House Boutique Hotel Cape Town, South Africa