“Amazing little gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rouge on Rose
Canada
“Amazing little gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We only stayed one night, but it was great! Nice central location in the city centre with great character. It is across from a mosque but I found it added to the character. Amazing and spacious room. Very comfortable and functions as an apartment style room....very awesome. The windows open up to the street so you get some nice city noise, but when closed it is quiet. Breakfast was non-traditional fare...a lovely change. Hope we get to come back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I get very irritated when people write "good breakfast" in their reviews. Nobody got on a plane for a breakfast. But here the breakfast must be mentioned & I am not going to spoil the surprise except to say "Order the Omelette". The room is an apartment by Paris standards & good for a longer stay. No views of the sea & mountain that I could see but very central to Waterfront & Town & the charming Cape Quarter area. Many of the quaint little places are hidden so make sure you don't miss this charming area, especially if you are a repeat visitor to Cape Town, & bored with the Waterfront & Camps Bay.

I was unsure of the safety of the area as it was walking distance to the CBD but after I met Ursula she put my mind at ease & after I left my Johannesburg safety neurosis behind I enjoyed Cape Town like a non-neurotic tourist would, i.e. be careful but not paranoid. Thanks Ursula. (Note it is generally accepted that you should not walk around Cape Town CBD at night (even with a crowd). (In Johannesburg you need to exercise good care even during the day at all times. Only crazies walk in JHB at night.) Parking is sparse & not for the guys with Bentleys.

The staff are great as most Cape Town people are. This venue is immaculate & well-run & well-deserving of it's consistently high rating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Knysna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The room was spacious and lovely, but cold. Some mats, electric blanket or even a hot water bottle would help at night. I asked for one before leaving for dinner but the guy didn't have a clue what I was talking about. The owners were welcoming and very friendly. The lamp shade was also not working in our bedroom, and although we were out the whole day, they chose to collect it for repairs in the afternoon when we had returned for an afternoon lie down. The traffic and workers in the area are also a bit noisy in the mornings, as is the sound of the mosque three times a day, but I guess I'm used to silence, so that could be quite interesting to other people. I must say, at one stage I thought I was in Turkey, which wasn't half bad. The breakfast was delightful!

Room Tip: The top rooms are always best, else you'll have people above you moving furniture or stomping ar...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jose F
RougeonRose, Owner at Rouge on Rose, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Jose F....so sorry to hear that you were cold....we have heating in all the suites with temperatures going up to 30 deg C.....there are gowns and slippers in the cupboards.
Thank you for bringing to our attention that the night staff were a bit vague...we are sorry for that...they are generally very quick to contact me when they have a question that they cannot answer.....thanks once again...Ursula
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just completed a 9-night stay in this central city "gem" - and it was a direct result of reading other Tripadvisor reviews. I can't say enough about this B&B.....it has it all....from the incredible rooms, to the breakfast (to die for), to the wonderful owners, Ursula and Michel. Thanks to the many suggestions from both, my first visit here was a wild success. I had a self-catering suite on the top floor. More space than I knew what to do with and a king-size bed which ensured a solid night's sleep. When I discovered the rainfall shower, I knew I had died and gone to B&B heaven! If you're headed to Cape Town, don't even think about staying anywhere else - this should be your only choice - it sure is mine. The 9-room establishment books up fast and far in advance. Don't be disappointed - book today. I'm reserving my next stay before I leave. I could easily take up permanent residence at the Rouge on Rose!

Room Tip: If stair climbing is your favorite cardio exercise, then reserve for the 3rd floor. If not, I stron...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

As many people claimed before Rouge on Rose is an excellent boutique hotel with a total of 9 rooms. The rooms I stayed in were shaped in a shallow bowl formation including a freestanding soaker tub, open shower and toilet on one end and the bed, dining table at the other. They also have self-catering units which include a kitchenette but forego the soaker tub, if that suits you better. Ursula and Michel were generous, helping me plan all my tours and making dinner reservations at some of the top restaurants in Cape Town! I was so impressed with my first stay that I decided to book my last night in Cape Town with them three weeks later where they accommodated my late check out! I highly recommend spending a few days here, you won't be disappointed!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I chose this one for a 5-day trip in Cape Town based on the reviews here. The hotel was as wonderful as these reviews.

The moment I stepped into the room, I was amazed at how big it all was. It was practically an apartment with a living room and a bedroom. I did think to myself that I could comfortably live in a place like that. The shower was separate from the toilet and built into a corner of the bedroom with no partition. I was worried about the water getting all over the bedroom but it all worked nicely. And since I was staying alone the lack of partition was not an issue at all.

The hotel is in the colourful Bo Kaap area which can at times feel a bit iffy, though mostly quiet. But nothing bad happened to me when I was there and it was a short walk to the busier parts of the city. Stop number 4 of the hop-on-hop-off bus is nearby. There are several mosques in the area and you will definitely know when people are expected to pray, loud and clear, but I was prepared for all that so it was alright.

They have a proper breakfast menu at the hotel and the options I got to try were all great. I particularly liked the one called "The Brekkie".

The hostess Ursula was wonderful. I got to see her quite a lot during my stay and she helped me with my itinerary and bookings. I will always remember how she mock-spanked me for speaking to this dodgy guy on the street. She made me feel that she really wanted me to enjoy Cape Town and it was also enjoyable just chatting with her.

Will I stay there again if I return to Cape Town? Without hesitation, I say yes.

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Perfect guest house for my second visit to Cape Town. Only stayed one night but really pleasant and Ursula was really helpful and welcoming. Rooms were stylish and had great facilities such as cooker, microwave and a big fridge. Bed was super comfy and shower was to die for ! after not having a hot shower for 2 months this was heaven. Neighbourhood is considered to be a bit dodgy but I had no issues what so ever, I walked around during the day and late at night and felt perfectly safe. Like any city you need to be vigilant, not look like a tourist and be alert. Just a word of warning if you don't mind being woken up early then this will be fine, but the morning prayers are announced on a siren first thing and at night. Slightly annoying but not the hotels fault. Great location, 10 mins from local amenities and 30 mins walk from V&A Waterfront mall, hours walk to Table Mountain and 40 mins walk to the stadium. Thanks so much !

Room Tip: Bigger the better! corner suites