“Spontaneous decision paying off”
Review of City Grill

City Grill
Ranked #44 of 1,182 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999, the City Grill is the oldest steakhouse in the V&A Waterfront. We invite you to discover a truly South African experience… so gather family and friends for a feast of flavour at the City Grill! A place where food has substance, big appetites are essential and South Africa is the flavour of the month, every month!
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We fancied a good piece of steak and decided on the spot to go to City Grill as we were passing by. Staff was very welcoming and service was excellent. I had one of their gourmet steaks which was delicious. As were all the other meals of my friends (we're good at sharing so everybody gets to taste). City Grill has a very comprehensive wine list that we took advantage of - and didn't regret. We ended up spending more time and money than probably intended but it was well worth it!

barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are delighted that your spontaneous decision paid off. Those are normally the best decisions. We are however very happy that we were the choice made and that you had a great time with us.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Varied menu with good children's options. Friendly service, sat on terrace with views of mountain. Would eat there again.

Hi

Thank you for the review. We believe that we are a great family option restaurant and we try and cater to the needs of the individuals. We are delighted to read that you had a pleasant evening with us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Been to many places and there are very few cities I will dine 3 times, let alone twice in one city. City Grill at V & A Waterfront is the exception ! Thanks to Sean, the restaurant manager and his attentive servers !

On an afternoon I walked in and requested a solo table for the evening, Sean greeted me with enthusiasm. I wasn't disappointed with my table siting. Food was excellent. My first night, Ryan, my server was attending to me. After dinner, I requested for a smoking table if it was available. Ryan told me there wasn't one at the moment apologetically. Some time later there was one and he came over to update me. I was impressed ! I figure most restaurants would probably leave it be and not revert to the customer (after all I was done with dinner right ? :-)). That to me is FIRST CLASS SERVICE !!!

I was to return again and thereafter, another time on my final night in Cape Town after coming back from Victoria Falls.

One big advantage: the seafood restaurant next door is also under the same management, so you can actually ask for both menus for some crossed varieties of dishes.

During my 14 days touring Cape Town, Vic Falls and Chobe National Park, I was generally very impressed with the high standards of service excellence. But my experience at City Grill was without question most especially memorable and an exception.

Great job to Sean and his staff ! Keep it up !!!

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We do extensive training with our waiters and it is wonderful to read that one of our new waiters left such a lasting impression with his service. We will definitely let him know. Many thanks for informing us and we are really delighted to read that your experience was so memorable.

Hope to see you back here soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

A good welcome and at 7pm no wait for a table. We ordered a filet steak and a cheese and bacon burger. Both were very well presented and cooked to our liking. The service was attentive and the restaurant also benefits from excellent wifi. The prices are reasonable given the location and quality of ingredients. My only negative, was the way they rearranged the tables midway through our meal, and this meant someone sitting with their back only inches from my right shoulder, this was a shame as it meant we left without sampling their desserts.

1  Thank garygeorge3

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and service. I am however disappointed to read that the seating arrangements was uncomfortable once we reseated new guests. I wish you had brought this to our attention on the night in order for us to have made another plan.

Hope to see you back here soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Food is excellent on the high side for South Africa standards. It is situated at the V&A mall at Entrance 4 outside. It was a bit chilly when I was there so I chose to eat inside. They had seafood as well as meat. Nice dining experience

barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Hi

Thank you for the amazing review of City Grill Steakhouse. We are delighted that we lived up to expectation. We strive for excellence in all departments and it is always great to read such wonderful comments.