“Melt in the mouth steak”
Review of City Grill

City Grill
Ranked #49 of 1,147 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999, the City Grill is the oldest steakhouse in the V&A Waterfront. We invite you to discover a truly South African experience… so gather family and friends for a feast of flavour at the City Grill! A place where food has substance, big appetites are essential and South Africa is the flavour of the month, every month!
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Melt in the mouth steak”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We dined here twice because it was so good and the queue for a table gave an idea of what was to come. They are famous for their steaks and rightly so . You hardly need a steak knife because they are so juicy and tender some of the best steaks we have had for a long time. Because of the very favourable exchange rate pound to rand at the moment you could buy a steak meal with drinks for two for about £20 which is great value

Visited April 2014
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We also believe that our steaks melt in your mouth and its always great to read that we have lived up to expectation.

We hope you will join us again in the near future.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Marple, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

A beautiful location for a meal overlooking the V &A waterfront the service was excellent and the food was top draw the fillet steak was one of the best I have had, and as mentioned before you was asked to check that it was cooked to your liking. My husband had the prawns to start with he really enjoyed them. One thing to bare in mind the portions are large so pace yourself! I would recommend this restaurant to anybody visiting Cape Town. The pound goes along way in SA the equivalent meal in the kind of setting in GB would cost four times the cost of the meal with wine.

• Visited May 2014
Hi

Thank you for the review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“I will see you guys again and again!!!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Been here before and i have recommended guests of mine to try them out and yes i went back again. And yes i will go back again and again. Many thanks for such great service and brilliant food. It is always a pleasure to visit you guys. Keep up the good work!!!

• Visited May 2014
Hi

Thank you for the review.
We are delighted to read that we will see you again.

St. Ives, Australia
“There is a first for everything!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We visited the City Grill in the WaterFront. If I could give it 6 stars, I would.

The setting on a nice day was superb, sitting outside with views of the harbour and the majestic mountain in the background. I can see why some reviewers have commented on the noise. When we were there we were 'serenaded' (probably not the correct term) by a group of roving minstrels. I would have liked to have given them something but decided that to do so would only encourage more songs so we waved them off. Not the restaurants fault and everyone should be given the opportunity to earn an honest living, irrespective if they can sing, or not.

My wife and I both ordered steak - it is after all a grill. The waiter was very specific as to how we wanted it cooked. Both medium-rare; cooked on the outside with plenty of pink on the inside. When it was served, the waiter asked that we slice into the meat to confirm that it was done as requested. I know that this is a custom when serving wine but I have never had it with meat. Usually the diner gets what is served and if no to his liking, they can complain. Not here. I few minutes later the Maitre D came over to check that everything was OK.

Perhaps that was not well timed because he arrived when I was busy stuffing my face with juicy, tasty and tender meat, with a fantastic sauce. I think that I was able to give a response of yum.

Another reviewer commented on the high price. While in Cape Town, we ate out on many occasions. The City Grill was no more pricey than any of the others although paying with an overseas credit card, everything was very reasonable compared to our local restaurants.

Will I go back? You bet, only it is a bit far to commute from Sydney.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank dojies
Hi

Thank you for the wonderful review.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the experience. Hope to see you here again when in Cape Town. Pity that Sydney is so far away, otherwise we could have made a plan.

Regards
Urdorf, Switzerland
“Good value for money, excellent location”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were recommended to go here by our Duty Manager at the hotel, as it's a good restaurant and it was in walking distance from our hotel. Which was nice for a change.

When we got here, we were pleasantly surprised. The ambiance is really good and the decoration is original with placemats of animals and animal 'skins' (not real of course). The service was fast, friendly and efficient. So what else can you ask for.

The food came out quickly and was of very good quality. I opted for the springbok fillet, which was perfectly cooked and the presentation is amazing.

• Visited April 2014
barrynieuwoudtcg, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hi

Thank you for writing this wonderful review.
We are delighted to hear that you had a great evening with us and that you enjoyed the experience.

Many thanks