“Awesome! ”

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Fife, Scotland
“Awesome! ”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 week from 17th-24th Feb. The hotel is beautiful and very clean, the room was luxurious with a separate bathroom area (the shower was brilliant!) with fresh fruit at least once a day, the breakfast was fantastic - they had everything and sitting outside was really lovely. The staff couldn't do enough for you and were very friendly. Madnes the Concierge organised our trips which were perfect and gave good recommendations (including a recommendation to a rather dodgy looking Chinese where the carpet was filthy but the food was great). The Spa is relatively cheap (when compared to others). The hotel is right at the beautiful waterfront. We want to go back - just for longer.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bertie67
MvanLill, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for writing about your One&Only moments on TripAdvisor! Our team is thrilled that they were able to be part of your very special holiday and it is such a great reward to our team reading your comments. Your valued business is very much appreciated and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Training and Quality Assurance Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Mile End
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Our stay late January was one we will never forget.
Firstly the "Wow" when we saw our room, downstairs on the "island" overlooking the Marina and main building...... Truly amazing ambiance with the size, beautiful decor and fixtures, even his and her wash bowls, opposite sides of the incredible huge bathroom. I believe rooms are similar in the main building, but being on the ground level with large opening doors onto the verandah and two metres from the water, has to be better?
The Hotel is positioned in the new Wharf Complex so finding somewhere to eat has many choices, together with a huge shopping area. Lots of places with live music, and plenty of activity. The Hop On Hop Off Boat is outside the door, and the Bus across the road to see other parts of Cape town.
Breakfast was also one not to forget... Oysters and Champagne as part of the Buffet!! Who could not indulge!
We did have a situation the first day where plumbing problems caused back up in the pipes, then again next day even worse. Plumbers tried to fix it only making things worse with the whole room being flooded including clothes, suitcases half unpacked on the floor!! Disaster it may have been, but the service to rectify was amazing... 10 people arrived to clean up, and take away most of our clothes for laundering. The apologies kept coming, and by evening we had beautiful flowers in the room. It seems tree roots in pipes can happen in a 2 star Hotel and even a 6 Star Hotel. We could have requested a move but we just loved the room so much! We could have also "complained" bitterly, but it certainly made our stay memorable and something to laugh about!!
We have stayed in many 5-6 Star Hotels in our travels, but this one I think pips the post on all the rest... We really want to go back and spend more time.

Room Tip: Ask for an "island" room on the water... it feels like an "apartment" not a Hote...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
MvanLill, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We are so pleased that we were able to turn your experience around and that you went away from us with memories to last a life time. Thank you for your extensive feedback and we cannot wait to welcome you for your next visit to our beautiful resort!

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We enjoyed our week long stay in Cape Town. The location of the hotel is great for walking to the harbor. Food selections were wonderful, I can attest to room service, and both on site restaurants. We had tea in the lobby one afternoon (Real tea... with finger sandwiches, quiche, tarts, any other tea accompaniment you could possibly think of). Spa was spacious and very relaxing. The massage services we received were great. Rooms were spacious… loved the bathroom area with completely separate shower and bathtub.
We had great experiences with the concierge, and arranged two wonderful tours of the area. Great breakfast, and if you need it to go they are prepared with to-go supplies…Helpful for an early departure/tour.
No complaints.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
With our impeccable views of Table Mountain, award winning dining and spa facilities, KidsOnly Club and secluded private islands, One&Only Cape Town is the perfect family or couples getaway. You will leave us with a renewed sense of life and energy as our team of dedicated professionals is eager to assist you in creating amazing experiences and everlasting memories. Thank you for writing about your One&Only moments on TripAdvisor.

UK
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This is the second time that we have stayed here and it lived up to its reputation once again. All the staff are friendly, welcoming and will try and help you with any requests. Matthew on reception and Carman by the pool are two examples of staff who are not only efficient and professional but are willing to go that extra mile to make your stay enjoyable. Now Diana, Customer Relations, is a complete and utter star. She would go a further 100 miles for you. It appears to me that single handedly runs the hotel, her caring attitude, approachability and efficiency know no bounds.
It is true that the hotel was undergoing some maintenance work, which we hadn't been advised in advance. However, the disruption was limited, we were advised of all works on a daily basis and the hotel offered various compensations to boot. For a large hotel, the One & Only manage to make you feel like you are staying at boutique hotel where everyone knows your name. The rooms are spacious, extremely comfortable and well maintained. The position is perfect with it only being a few minutes walk to the Water Front and an array of bars and restaurants.

We loved our stay, it was everything that we needed and we will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
With our impeccable views of Table Mountain, award winning dining and spa facilities, KidsOnly Club and secluded private islands, One&Only Cape Town is the perfect family or couples getaway. You will leave us with a renewed sense of life and energy as our team of dedicated professionals is eager to assist you in creating amazing experiences and everlasting memories. Thank you for writing about your One&Only moments on TripAdvisor and mentioning our colleagues who have made a lasting impact on your stay.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 18 February 2014

On Friday morning I called the hotel to make a reservation for Saturday night (15 feb) at Nobu. I was put through but no one answered. The lady at reception took down my number and said she would send my details through to them to make the reservation. I did not receive any call back nor was a reservation made.

The dinner was for my 1st wedding anniversary and I thought that for such a special occasion we would spend the evening at a special establishment.

As no one bothered to call me back I came into the hotel on Saturday morning at 11am and made a reservation with the gentleman at the restaurant reservations desk for 7pm.

I also enquired about spa treatments but their was no availability.

I was then called at 3pm to confirm the reservation.

At 6:30pm we entered the grounds of the one and only and proceeded to the underground parking. We were met by a parking attendant who came to my window and told me that I could not park there as the parking was only for guests. I proceeded to tell him that I was a guest as I have a confirmed reservation at the restaurant. He then started scribbling my name down on a piece of paper and then wanted to know where I had a reservation and for how many people.

Did I really have to explain all of this to this guy. After all info was given to him he told me that I have to go and park at the ports wood parking. I then told him that I was unable to do so as I have a lower back problem and walking the 500m would cause me discomfort.

He did not seem to care and told me to reverse my car and leave.

He jumped in front of my car and would not let me turn around saying that I must reverse. My wife called him because she wanted to tell him to cancel our reservation but he would not leave the front of my car.

We had to shout to him to cancel our dinner reservation as I would not be able to walk the distance, and he shouted back that he will do it with pleasure.

I then left the one and only, shocked at what I just experienced. I immediately called the on duty manager and informed him of what had happend. He said he would investigate and come back to me.

I have visited the best hotels in London, Milan, Los Angeles, Miami, Barcelona, New York and asia and I have never been treated in this manner.

Not a happy camper

Update: I have received an apology and feedback from the GM

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shadley o
Thank you for your review and providing the feedback related to the incidents that impacted on your experience at One and Only Cape Town.

We would like to begin by offering our most sincere apology. It is evident that there was a complete breakdown in the way your reservation was handled and the manner in which you were addressed when arriving at the hotel. We believe that there is no acceptable reason for either of these. Rest assured that as per the correspondence received from our Resort Manager, this matter has been dealt with at the highest level and the utmost urgency.

We hope that this experience has not completely tarnished your impression of the One and Only. Thank you again for taking the time to write your valued feedback.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Our third trip to the One and Only in Cape Town but never reviewed before. In truth we have experienced a few administrative misunderstandings with them in the past, the latest being told the day before we arrived that construction work was due to commence on the day of our arrival....fortunately this was on the main block and not the island side where we were staying. We also requested late checkout as we had a late afternoon international flight. We were told we were not eligible for this ( we were ) and presumed this would be sorted out. Without any further communication we received a letter under the door the night before stating we had to vacate our room at 11 am as the hotel was fully booked. Simply not how to deal with guests. It was finally sorted out but left a sour taste.
The rooms, facilities and location are all still wonderful and the food at Nobu is absolutely world class- a true gastronomic delight. I would stay at the hotel just to eat there!
The breakfast buffet was also very impressive and the serving staff were wonderful.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your honest review and you can rest assured that your comments have been reviewed in the most serious light. Management has addressed the issues regarding communication that you have raised and we are very pleased that we were able to accommodate your request for a late departure. Our teams of servers at Nobu and Reuben’s are delighted that they played a part in creating a memorable experience for you and we are delighted that. We are looking forward to welcoming you again in order to provide you with the ultimate One&Only experience as one of our loyal repeat customers.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Wowee, this place is spectacular! The food, service, room, views...just everything about the one&only is fabulous! Makes me want to visit all the one&only's! I honestly cannot think of a single thing that wasn't up to par! Wish I was there now! :)

Room Tip: Stay higher up for the amazing views of Table Mountain!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
MvanLill, Training and Quality Assurance Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
everlasting memories. Thank you for sharing your One&Only moments on TripAdvisor.

Best regards,