“Security Problems at Hotel - Theft from Room”
Review of One&Only Cape Town

One&Only Cape Town
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Charleston, SC
“Security Problems at Hotel - Theft from Room”
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Spent 4 nights at hotel, and on the first day my electric razor was stolen from the room. I reported the theft to the reception desk immeadiately, and was told "when this happens we always follow up with a note left in your room later in the day". That was not too reassuring, and made me think this is a common event. But sure enough I got a note in my room that evening saying that they would investigate and get back in due course. But I never heard back, and the same staff serviced my room. I felt compelled to lock up my belongings in my suitcase since, unfortunately, the room safe was not big enought for my valuables and my toiletries. On the last evening I went back to the desk and complained to the manager. He was unaware of the theft, and put me on the phone with the security director who told me he was told I had checked out several days earlier. They were both blaming other people, and were not on top of the situation. The manager also would not reimbure me for the electric razor, which amazed me given that I was paying over $1500 a night for our suite. The hotel was beautiful, and the room just fantastic. Service and food was okay, but not great. I did not feel safe and secure in the hotel, and the management seemed little concerned.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MUSC1
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the One&Only Cape Town. Further our telephonic conversation, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies in this format.
We continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.
Gerhard Erasmus
EAM - Hotel Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cape Town
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We decided to celebrate an anniversary at the One and Only hotel Cape Town. The reception upon arrival was efficient, unobtrusive and extremely professional. The Island room we stayed in comes highly recommended- the 75 sq metre room is idyllic with a little patio overlooking the waterway. the manager had arranged a tray of treat to welcome us and celebrate our special occasion. the iced beverage was non alcoholic- truly impressive as we don't drink alcohol but did not disclose this and are often presented with sparkling wine/champagne. the butler service and turndown amenities were brilliant. we had the pleasure of booking a spa treatment the next day. the service from marlise was amazing and the couple treatment room a must do.

unfortunately, for breakfast, we had an awful experience which left me with little appetite and tainted what was a perfect weekend. we requested a table on the veranda. the hostess assured us this could be arranged and advised us to select some items from the buffet area while they set the table. about 10 min later we made our way outside only to be told very curtly " you took too long. we gave the table to somebody else." no apology and no alternative was offered. instead we were seated at an unset table and then moved once i complained. the newly 'set' table was also devoid of key items of cutlery and waitrons were virtually non existent.

having stayed at several hotels worldwide and being on the receiving end of sometimes average service- this was appalling for a hotel which claims to have "6 star" calibre. the rooms and the rest of the hotel's service definitely lived up and exceeded expectations. however, the trick lies in a comprehensively superior experience. one which the one and only failed to deliver.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
We would like to extend our sincerest thanks for your recent stay and sharing your anniversary with us.

Thank you for your kind words regarding to our appointment of our rooms and am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectation in the welcoming received. I will share your positive feedback with the team, especially Marilise who you have spoken so highly of.

With regards to your comments about the poor service you received at breakfast, I assure you that your comments have been taken in the most serious light. Having reviewed your comments in detail, I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the service shortfall that you experienced, as it is most definitely not the standard of service we strive to achieve. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as it is through such feedback that we are able to rectify and improve our standards of service. I have also passed on your feedback to relevant Head of department in order for us to prevent a similar incident from occurring in future.

I sincere hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our Hotel in the not too distant future.

Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I stayed at the this hotel in October and I can Honnestly say this hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed in! The rooms were huge and the View of table moutain was excellent. The staff were very poliite more than happy to help and the business facilites were excellent also.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at The One&Only Cape Town and for the incredibly kind words with regards to our service and appointment of our rooms. On behalf of the team, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will share your positive feedback with the team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards, Gerhard
Orange County
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We started our South Africa trip in Cape Town and spent the first three nights at the One&Only. Overall, I absolutely loved this hotel and easily ranks as one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. When we arrived, our reservation was not correct (they had us arriving the next day), but the hostess made several calls and within 15 minutes had our room set up and ready. After a long journey, this attention to service was much appreciated.

The rooms are large, well designed and modern. I had no trouble sleeping in the extremely comfortable bed and appreciated the large amount of drawer space. The bathroom was also amazing and had an incredible rain shower.

The location was right on the V&A waterfront which made it easy to walk to many restaurants and the Robben Island ferry.

I was fortunate enough to have a few hours for a massage one day and the spa was quite amazing. The therapist sat with me ahead of time to understand what I was looking for and the massage was wonderful.

Breakfast was included and there was quite a bit to choose from. Our server, Jeffert, did a nice job each morning. We did not eat dinner at the hotel. The only issue we had was lunch on the day of our check out. The service at Reuben's was extremely slow and the food was just ok.

I hope to be back to Cape Town some day and would certainly stay at the One&Only again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
We would like to extend our sincerest thanks for your recent stay and sharing your experiences with us. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience upon check-in but am delighted to hear that it was resolved in no time and that you indeed had a lovely stay with us.
Thank you for your kind words regarding to our appointment of our rooms and the amazing spa service received. I am thrilled that you had fantastic breakfast experience at the Reuben’s Restaurant and will forward your compliments to the team members. It is a pity that you were disappointed with your lunch at Reuben’s but hope that we will be able to redeem ourselves during your next visit.
I will share your positive feedback with the team, especially Jeffert who you have spoken so highly of, and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Solihull
Reviewed 4 February 2011

A luxurious, but down to earth and friendly hotel. It could not be in a better location, next to the V&A Waterfront. The rooms are luxurious, the pool area is fantastic and the staff are all so professional and friendly. If you want a luxurious, welcoming, friendly, well located stay in Cape Town then look no further. This is my 7th stay in Cape Town, all in different hotels and this is the one from now! Just brilliant!!

• Stayed February 2011
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at The One&Only Cape Town. On behalf of the team, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and equally as thrilled you have enjoyed our genuine passion for service. I will share your positive feedback with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Gerhard
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2011

One & Only Cape Town certainly lives up to its name. We were there for one week, which included a function at the hotel and some entertaining and it did not fail to impress at any time. The hotel is just sumptious and beautiful, as are the rooms, but what I remember most is the service. Whether it was the people in F&B who were just SO helpful, or at Reception, or on the door, or in the restaurants, it was just impeccable. Attentive but understated. I must also make mention of the Charlotte Rhys amenities in the bathroom - I admit I took as many things with me as I could as they smell just beautiful! (I have tried to buy them online since but have had no luck). I intend returning to Cape Town some day with my husband and we will stay here ... once we save for it!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
GErasmus, Manager at One&Only Cape Town, responded to this review, 27 January 2011
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at The One&Only Cape Town and for the incredibly kind words with specific reference to our service, appointment of our rooms and the Charlotte Rhys bathroom amenities. On behalf of the team, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will share your positive feedback with the team.

We all look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the not too distant future.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I went to the Cape Town One & Only Hotel with my mother and we were impressed with the superb service; they truly make you feel like royalty. Also, the hotel lobby and the rooms are beautiful, confortable, and clean. We also ate in both restaurants and the food was exquisite. Thank you One & Only. We would definitely go back and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed July 2010
Thank you for sharing your recent experiences at The One&Only Cape Town and for the incredibly kind words with regards to our service, appointment of our rooms and our food and beverage offerings. On behalf of the team, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will share your positive feedback with the team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.